StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came from the dealer to get a price on suzuki top case PN990D0-TC25L:

$989.00

Think I will be looking to the aftermarket for the topcase....

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
CooCase S50 is (or was) on sale at twisted throttle for $229 - includes lights, liner, and remote with electronic lock / unlock. Add a set of hyperlites for about $100 and you have a GREAT setup. Did this on the Wee and will be going the same route on the new bike.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Just came from the dealer to get a price on suzuki top case PN990D0-TC25L:

$989.00

Think I will be looking to the aftermarket for the topcase....
Do you mean $989.00 for the complete set up including all brackets, hardware, top case and panniers?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Something must be wrong. The price I got for a Suzuki Top Box was about half what you said. I went with the one from Twisted Throttle instead. Same box, just does not say Suzuki on it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Givi 47N

Givi has a V47N top box that looks a lot like the Suzuki's but about $300.00. Looks much better than Suzuki's and much larger. Waiting for them to come out with adapter plate and should be the way to go.

FastLane

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Givi has a V47N top box that looks a lot like the Suzuki's but about $300.00. Looks much better than Suzuki's and much larger. Waiting for them to come out with adapter plate and should be the way to go.

FastLane
I agree. I have a Givi V46 and love it. That's why I am torn as whether to buy the standard or adventure model. The farkles are a good buy on the adventure model, but you're stuck with their version.:confused:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Something must be wrong. The price I got for a Suzuki Top Box was about half what you said. I went with the one from Twisted Throttle instead. Same box, just does not say Suzuki on it.

Nope. It's correct. I spoke with Suzuki corporate at the end of January about thier pricing being 3-4 times aftermarket pricing. They then pulled the topbox, as well as the fog lamps and a few other high priced accessories, off of the US website. I haven't seen them come back to the site recently. I heard they were reconsidering.......

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
CooCase S50 is (or was) on sale at twisted throttle for $229 - includes lights, liner, and remote with electronic lock / unlock. Add a set of hyperlites for about $100 and you have a GREAT setup. Did this on the Wee and will be going the same route on the new bike.
It is with great sadness that I must pass along news of the death of CooCase. At least, Twisted Throttle now says it is discontinued, and they were the exclusive carrier of the product line. Sadly when I went to order one online they were shown as out of stock, with only the "basic" model, without electronic lock, remote, or brake lights.

In one last act of desperation I called Twisted Throttle today to gripe and whine to a live human being and the sales rep said they had ONE S50 case with the lock, remote and brake lights, although in gloss black, left. So I snagged it. The LAST ONE (I'm never that lucky).

Quite the bummer though that a value leader is no longer in the running. $229 bucks with universal mounting plate, brake light, electronic lock, remote and liner.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I read that price for the top box in oz & was amazed. The factory panniers are separate & small. I guess that companies will come out with their cheaper & bigger versions soon after the release. My top box came in at $65 with a brake light so I'd have to go down that line.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anyone seen the larger top box? The Suzuki parts/price list in NZ has the 30 something litre box, and it mentions a 55 litre with price TBC.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Suzuki 55 liter top box made by Givi

Hey guys. Looking at the larger 55 liter top box offered by Suzuki. Looks like it is made by Givi. An exact replica of Givi's own. If you look on Givi website you will see a 47 liter top box that more closely matches the side cases of the new V-Strom. Hoping that Givi will have an adapter plate for the 47 to fit our V-Strom.

Later

FastLane

·
Registered
72 Posts
Will this Box be offered in US?

You can find the 55 liter box at the Suzuki Austria site:

Suzuki Austria - Zubehoer Suchergebnisse - Suzuki Austria

Interestingly, they have virtually all the DL1000A accessories that have been released by Suzuki. It's a good reference site for the third party accessories that should start appearing soon.
Just wondering if this top box will be offered in the US? Anyone with any thoughts on this? :confused:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Alternatives

This might be off-topic since it doesn't regard the Suzuki topcase offerings but it may be relevant or useful to anyone who might be looking for alternatives.

I mounted my CooCase S50 Basic edition using the "universal" mounting plate that it comes with. However, due to the lugagge rack design on the Vee2 I found that the supplied hardware was of little use for two reasons:

First, the rack has a thick overall height and the supplied M6 x 30 socket head bolts (shown in the first picture below) were not long enough to reach the bottom of the luggage rack and allow for much thread for a locking nut to grab ahold of after passing through a "W" bracket supplied with the kit. I was able to get the nut started, but there was only about 2 thread's worth of "grip". Not good. So longer bolts are needed.

Secondly however, the forward section of the luggage rack comes very close to the top of the rear fender, such that there just isn't much room for a bolt to extend past the luggage rack or it'll start digging into the top of the fender. So, for use toward the front of the rack, the longer bolts I purchased (M6 x 40) had to be shimmed with washers to provide just the right amount of thread sticking past the bottom of the luggage rack. It's pretty tight in there - not even room for a finger, really.

So, because I wanted more than just two mounting points holding the case on, but getting a nut, much less fingers or a wrench, under the rack at any forward mounting points was going to be a challenge, I just went ahead and made my own threaded brackets from aluminum, and at the rear I backed them up with locking nuts. At the forward holes, I just relied on the threads I tapped into the brackets.

For this application, about 4-1/4" of aluminum stock with 2-7/8" center-to-center bolt spacing and an M6 x 1 thread tapped into the holes was all that was needed:

I made two brackets, a left and a right, yielding 4 mounting points, and shimmed the forward bolts with 3 washers under the heads which worked out just fine:

The baseplate lines up with the luggage rack very well this way:

The right bracket is fine but Mrs. Stoopy came into the garage to talk at me about food while I was cinching down the bolts for the left bracket and while distracted I managed to over tighten and bend the left bracket a little bit... ooops...

But it's on quite solid and the case lines up perfectly, and taking the seat off is no problem.

I dunno, does it make my Vee2's butt look big? :mrgreen:

My AdMore lighting kit for this case should be arriving this week so after get that installed I'll have functioning BRIGHT modulated LED brake lights and turn signals to complement the stock ones. The challenge there will be chasing down the correct wires to tap off of, but a quick glance back in that rear brake light area reveals that the wiring is at least, if not more, as accessible as it is on the previous design.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts