StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to put a cover/protector on the tank to protect my DL650 from my zippers. I like the look of the Suzuki tank cover, but was wondering how it attaches and if it's going to be a pain to use when the tank has to be moved/removed. Is it better to just use a universal tank pad that adheres to the tank?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes and Yes.

It looks good and it's a pain in the ass to remove requiring the side panels by the seat be removed.
I like the look of mine but will probably replace it the next time I take it off.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Not sure why YellowHat says it is a pain... sure, you need to remove the body panels to put it on. But once the tank guard is on, it isn't any bother at all, it just stays mounted to the tank. You do have to move the elastic strap from the hinge area if you are taking the tank off, but that's 2 seconds. Heck, you need to pull the body panels off to mount those air horns and HID ballasts anyway! And while a lot of people freak about pulling the panels, it isn't a big job if you always remember to take off the black plastic trim panels that line the radiator area FIRST. A few push pins, a couple screws, a little blue painters tape to prevent scratches to the bodywork, and you can get those things off and on in less than 1/2 hour. Really. I've done it. Without breaking the tabs at the pointy part of the body panels.

I've done several of these bikes and the factory tank guard is pretty nice.

Steve

·
Registered
245 Posts
Not sure why YellowHat says it is a pain... sure, you need to remove the body panels to put it on. But once the tank guard is on, it isn't any bother at all, it just stays mounted to the tank. You do have to move the elastic strap from the hinge area if you are taking the tank off, but that's 2 seconds. Heck, you need to pull the body panels off to mount those air horns and HID ballasts anyway! And while a lot of people freak about pulling the panels, it isn't a big job if you always remember to take off the black plastic trim panels that line the radiator area FIRST. A few push pins, a couple screws, a little blue painters tape to prevent scratches to the bodywork, and you can get those things off and on in less than 1/2 hour. Really. I've done it. Without breaking the tabs at the pointy part of the body panels.

I've done several of these bikes and the factory tank guard is pretty nice.

Steve
It's a PIA to have to remove it every time it gets wet or you wash the bike. I don't want to spend a half hour playing with panels each time the damn thing gets wet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts