Strom Trooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I purchased my 2006 DL1000 I read up a bit on the bike and it is well known that the standard wind shield is only usefull if you want your head to bounce around like a boball head.
I purchased the optional tall wind shield and after spending hours trying to adjust it I realized it is just as useless.
I was about to give up on the bike and sell it when I made one last effort and purchased a wind shield from Windstrom. You can even ride with a cruiser bucket helmet with no problem.
Problem solved. Why can't Suzuki get this right?

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Windstrom

Please post a pic of the new shield, I want to find one that works and looks good too! I have a 2006 DL100 also and need some help.

·
Registered
86 Posts
WindStrom windshield

I installed the WindStrom a couple of weeks ago and after trying it in all 3 positions i was still getting alot of buffeting.Today i went back to the stock windshield set on the lowest setting,it was the same but the bike did seem less prone to the draft from cars and trucks on the freeway,i changed my helmet from a half to a full face so i can help by shifting my head position up and down.I know some people swear by the WindStrom but it didnt help me too much.Heres the link to WindStrom site they have some pics....
http://www.mindspring.com/~windstrom/WindStrom/

·
Registered
106 Posts
Super Tall Windstrom Mantra

I bought my 06 DL1k used (600 km) and the owner already had the stock and large OEM windscrean and a Windstrom Mantra and Top Spoiler (TS) on order. I found the large OEM scream was worse than the stock screan (and uglier). When the Winstrom arrived I felt it was to short ( I am 6'4") and I also did not like the painted version. Eric at Windsrom let me exchange it for the Super Tall clear (there is a Mega tall). I only got a short test in before the snow fell here but the difference with the Mantra in the lowest position (I can still see over it there) was amasing. Helmet buffeting was gone and I could hear the engine. When I put the TS on it was even better except the wind seamed to hit me on the back. I need to test a bit more to find the optimum position. At this point I am not sure the TS is necessary.

Note that I don't mind wind. My last bike (81 KZ750) had no windshield at all. I just did not like the buffeting with the V.

The roads are clearing up here now. I see some bikes out but the gravel they use on the ice here is like ball bearings so I may wait a bit before riding. I do plan to try tipping the screan to see how that feels. I also want to try the TS on the stack screan as I tried the fit in the garage and is works.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Windstorm pic

Here is a pic of it on my bike. I'm 6 foot with a 32 in inseam and it work great for me on the middle setting. I'm surprised about the other guys that it did not work for.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Givi wind screen

I am 6' 4" and have a Corbin seat with an extra 1" added to the stock height. I just added a Givi wind screen and am very satisfied with the changes. Make these changes and tall riders will be very happy! Check out the pics
Mystrom

http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l54/Rpstrom/wind screen/

·
Registered
15 Posts
super dave;
I am a SUZUKI dealer who rides the dl1000 and must agree with you.
the suzuki tall shield is a piece of crap. in fact I have tried several types of shield and still have not found anything better than stock.
I asked suzuki accessorie dept. to have the same co. that makes the stock shield to make one about 4 in. taller and 4 in. wider with the same shape.
So far, they won't listen.
In the last three years, I have had my DL1000 from brownsville, tx. to cent. america three times for a total of a little over 12 thousand miles. Only put my stock shield up one notch for rain.
I don't expect the DL to be like a goldwing,nor would I want it to be.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
super dave;
I am a SUZUKI dealer who rides the dl1000 and must agree with you.
the suzuki tall shield is a piece of crap. in fact I have tried several types of shield and still have not found anything better than stock.
I asked suzuki accessorie dept. to have the same co. that makes the stock shield to make one about 4 in. taller and 4 in. wider with the same shape.
So far, they won't listen.
In the last three years, I have had my DL1000 from brownsville, tx. to cent. america three times for a total of a little over 12 thousand miles. Only put my stock shield up one notch for rain.
I don't expect the DL to be like a goldwing,nor would I want it to be.
I found with the stock wind shield it was best on the lowest setting or no wind shield at all. It seems like a real simple fix to make a bigger wind shield.
If they ever do get the size right how about an electric adjustable one.
Well we can dream.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stock Windshield

I removed my stock windshield yesterday and finally enjoyed riding my new V with clear vision and a smooth brain. My front tire now stays down at speed and during wind gusts. Suzuki needs to produce a SMALLER windshield asap that will just cover the bolts and screws and have little clearance between the shield and fairing to reduce the "wing" effect that makes the bike's front wheel feel unstable at times. If I continue to get lift during wind, I may take off my side fairings. Cool, a brand new V-Strom streetfighter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts