Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you read several of my other posts you know I recently replaced the entire charging system of my DL1000-K7 due to the failure of a factory defective Stator Rotor which subsequently took out the Stator as well.

I contacted American Suzuki regarding this failure and the representative couldn't get the words out fast enough that it was no longer their problem, as my motorcycle was way out of warranty. "Parts fail" and "If you had purchased the extended warranty..." were the only other comments the rep would make. Of course, this WAS the response I expected from them.

The Bottom Line is that Suzuki's Quality Assurance Failed ME! As the photos show, this Stator Rotor should NEVER have been installed in a motorcycle. The magnets were all allowed to pull together during the gluing process, leaving one big gap between the final set of magnets. This defective part should have been pulled from the assembly line for rework, and assemblers should have noticed the problem as well. Neither happened, and it was only a matter of time before the defective part inevitably failed.

Because the magnets were touching and all aligned to one side of the Rotor, it created an Out-of-Balance situation in the Rotor. At high RPM, the Rotor probably deformed just enough to cause the touching edges of the magnets to chip and crack each other. I found a golf ball size mass of cintered magnet material stuck inside the Rotor when I dismantled the side case. Churning metallic debris then ate away at the Stator insulation and caused the Stator to fail.

THIS IS WHAT THE STATOR ROTOR IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE - NOTICE EVEN SPACING!

THIS IS THE STATOR ROTOR SUZUKI INSTALLED IN MY MOTORCYCLE

It is my belief that when evidence shows a failure was caused by a part that was clearly defective from the factory, a manufacturer should take some responsibility for it, even if the product is out of warranty. It was only by THEIR luck that my charging system didn't fail until after my warranty expired. The part was, none-the-less, defective from day one.

The Stator Rotor was on nationwide back-order when I went to buy it. Given that this part should probably never fail, this fact suggests that Suzuki may have had a high number of such failures. I did not get a confirmation of this from them, and there is apparently no recall for this issue.

I suggest to all newer DL1000 owners that you inspect your Stator Rotors before your warranty expires. It's pretty simple to do and may only require the purchase of a new gasket, especially if completed during a routine oil change. The alternative is: New Rotor: $280, new Stator: $250, Gasket: $18, Oil & Filter: $25, Special Tools required: $30, Labor: $300 - $400 (if you don't do it yourself), Loss of M/C use for a month or more (waiting for back-ordered parts to come in): PRICELESS.

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
on the slow-boat from Japan.....bummer!!!

Do you think the magnets could have slid into their new [poorly located] position because the glue holding them in got too hot, and allowed for the traveling magnets?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
I think it should be covered too. I've only seen two reports of this happening so I don't think it is a widespread problem. It's more likely so few replacements are needed, the part is not well stocked. "As Needed" or "Just in Time" parts availability is common now to avoid inventory and warehousing costs. Stators and fuel pumps are or have been on back order at times too for example.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
The original stator certainly leaves a lot to be desired. Suzuki should be embarrassed to have a pic of their QA on the net.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Magnets did not slide

It is clear from the the glue that is built up as expected (and as seen in a new rotor) along the edges of the magnet, and from the lack of any glue in the open space which should have been populated partially by a magnet, that the magnets have not moved since the rotor was manufactured.

As a Test and Manufacturing Engineer with over 25 years of experience, I was amazed that such a glaring defect could have ever been passed onto the assembly line. Unfortunately, it is, in my experience, not that uncommon for a lower paid assembler to install any and every part that comes his way without questioning the quality of the part.

If this were a rare and isolated case, one would think (and suggest, as good business sense) that Suzuki would accept responsibilty for the defect and make things right with one of their best customers. This DL1000 is my 4th Suzuki. I came to California, from Cape Canaveral in 1976 on my first Suzuki. I put over 100K miles on a previous bike, a GS1000G-Shafty, with no major problems, and I am responsible for two of my friends recently choosing a new DL1000 for their own purchase.

I'd love to be able to post back that Suzuki has done the right thing in this matter, however, the Suzuki rep refused to even let me express my opinion of this failure. He kept interrupting me to say "Parts fail". Well, yes, parts do fail, especially when they have failed before they ever left the assembly floor.
Meanwhile, I won't be holding my breath or my far-reaching and respected opinion.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not germane to this discussion but to Suzuki in general. We have owned 4 Suzuki autos and in every instance the electrical system or parts thereof have failed. Cheap, crappily made controls or parts have precipitated the failures. The engines, transmission etc run forever. I still like Suzuki but wish that they would upgrade their electrical parts :thumbdown:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Perhaps those pictures combined with a written description of the issue from a mechanic and a letter to Suzuki from your lawyer will get a better response. This is obviously a manufacturing defect that, as you put it, Suzuki was lucky to have last past your warranty period. I would not stop at the guy you talked to...go over his head. As a good will they should at least cover the parts for you.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a couple thoughts on this thread...

The manufacturer waranteed the part for a specific time-period and it lasted that amount of time.... beyond that, they should not be *expected* to cover it. Some manufacturers will "work with" you to meet you somewhere in the finantial middle.

----------------------

How a manufacturer behaves AFTER the warantee may affect future sales.... but they are not in any way *obliged* to do anything after the warantee contract expires.

One reason that Honda and Toyota automobiles have a reputation for reliability is NOT because they are more reliable... it is because they often "cover" after the warantee issues to keep the customer happy. Hence, when owners are polled for magazine ratings... they give a higher rating to the product.

Lets not forget that Toyota replaced 1000s of pickup-truck frames for free. (customers paid for peripihial components such as muffler and shox.) I know many people who were extatic about their 8-year-old truck was getting a brand-new frame under it for about $1500.

BTW: Before someone says something about the Toyota "Accelleration" issues.... this has been mostly proven to NOT be a fault of the product. However, I am sure that GM, Ford and Chrysler encouraged the bad press that Toyota was getting.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
That sucks. Quality control is definitely not what it used to be. A Tap and Die set is mandatory these days, the fastener threads are so often mangled.

Bill

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm having a problem with the replacement ECU (posted elsewhere). It lasted a little over a year, now it is NFG. I have gone over every single sensor test and adjustment and the bike runs like crap under 4,000 rpm, WORSE than it did before the swap.

I installed a borrowed STOCK MAP ECU and the bike runs MUCH BETTER!! Obvious conclusion is the replacement ECU is defective. American Suzuki is basically saying Tough sh!t. Something ELSE must be wrong with your bike. It's CAN'T be the ECU. You are out of the basic warranty and emissions warranty." I knew that and asked for a "goodwill gesture."

I got a gesture alright!! It as F you!!

Does anyone know how to get past the "customer service secretary" and have a qualified and authorized person help me? Fortunately I'm in a position where I can drive to Corporate and have someone ride my bike. Then they could install a new ECU and drive my bike and notice the HUGE improvement. That would be so awesome!!! Do you think they would "good will" an ECU???????????

.....sigh.

Well this fight ain't over yet, I can tell you that right now!!

EDIT: (8-16-10) Basically saying that I'm out of warranty, Suzuki has made their final decision to extend some goodwill to me by EXTENDING THEIR MIDDLE FINGER!!

Thanks Suzuki!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is really bad as it looks like a Quality Assurance issue and I can realize it more than anybody else because I am also a QA guy.

My field is software but QA is QA, no matter for what product its being performed. The Quality Assurance department must adhere all well-defined processes in order to make sure that nothing is left that may cause a product defect at any stage. Must look for a motor bike from top to bottom with respect to the different stages of production and even test it using some weighing software that its perfectly scaled.

You must get the bug fixed by Suzuki, otherwise, it will be a really bad show.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My magnets in my stator rotor did the same. The shop asked "What oil did you use?" The look that I gave them let them know that I am nobodies fool! I found some parts online and fixed it. Suzuki is a pain sometime but I love my Vstrom. What da ya gonna do?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Magnets sliding/separating from the rotor

I Just wanted to document another case of the rotor magnets sliding out of place in the rotor assembly. After having electrical charging issues with my 2006 DL1000 and replacing both the stator, regulator/rectifier and upgrading the cables to the Eastern Beaver cables, and it still not charging I had the shop pull the stator cover and the following photo is what we found. Notice the magnets shifted together leaving a large gap on the right side of the photo and the bottom magnet (in the 6 o’clock position) has moved out toward the front of the assembly out of alignment with the other magnets by approximately 1/8 to 3/16 inch.

I have a new rotor assembly on order and will update this post if indeed this solves my electrical charging issue.

Edit: UPDATE- After replacing the rotor assembly the bike is back within the shop specs and charging normally now.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I'll bet if you write a letter to the President of American Suzuki, you will get back a letter offering condolences and a $1,000 credit towards purchase of a new motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Not germane to this discussion but to Suzuki in general. We have owned 4 Suzuki autos and in every instance the electrical system or parts thereof have failed. Cheap, crappily made controls or parts have precipitated the failures. The engines, transmission etc run forever. I still like Suzuki but wish that they would upgrade their electrical parts :thumbdown:
oddly enough, I found this searching for info aboput the problem I am having.

for the record, the failure of my charging system yesterday was the first electrical problem I have had on my 2009 V Strom, which is well past the 90,000km's mark....

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I'll bet if you write a letter to the President of American Suzuki, you will get back a letter offering condolences and a $1,000 credit towards purchase of a new motorcycle.
You can't be doing this to me.

I snorked Pepsi all over my keyboard.

OP, you have an ugly right big toe, best of luck to you with the bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
New stator and rotor assembly installed...

I let the dealer install the new stator and rotor assembly to the tune of $900. That's the only time in 5 years I've spent any money on the Vstrom aside from oil, filters, tires and farkles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ı had had this problem onr years ago and then ı changed rotor about 300 $ my rotor two magnets was broken...yesterday my friends call me he has a klv 1000 his rotor magnets broken, ı gived my other magnets he sticked on rotor and now good charging.
just ı want to share

1 - 20 of 31 Posts