StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked my lower fairing and installed it in dealer's parking lot this morning. It took a little less than an an hour, and I only needed, an 8mm and 10mm sockets, a hex wrench and a phillips screw driver.

Went in to the parts counter to get an oil filter since I am close to doing the first oil change. The parts guy said sixteen dollars please! What :yikes: :confused:

Maybe I'm cheap, maybe its the KLR that's still sitting for sale in my garage, but I couldn't bring myself to part with that kind of money for a filter. I guess I'll have find Grey Wolf's filter list and head over to NAPA.

Boy I sure do like my new bike! :hurray:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Tell me about it. I purchased a couple of filters from the dealer. I didn't pay much attention to the price and handed him my debit card. When I got out to the car, I looked at the receipt - $35.00. Never again.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I picked my lower fairing and installed it in dealer's parking lot this morning. It took a little less than an an hour, and I only needed, an 8mm and 10mm sockets, a hex wrench and a phillips screw driver.

Went in to the parts counter to get an oil filter since I am close to doing the first oil change. The parts guy said sixteen dollars please! What :yikes: :confused:

Maybe I'm cheap, maybe its the KLR that's still sitting for sale in my garage, but I couldn't bring myself to part with that kind of money for a filter. I guess I'll have find Grey Wolf's filter list and head over to NAPA.

Boy I sure do like my new bike! :hurray:
I paid 12 or 14$ i am not sure, for a Hiflofiltro.
Can not be compared to KLR filter, from what i recall from my KLR it was cheap but only the paper element.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can someone post a link to that thread please? I'm coming up on my service and will need at least one filter. Quick question: My dealer said keep under 5K RPM until 600 miles, but the owner's manual says 500 miles. The Owner's Manual is clear about a service at 600 miles. Should I take it to mean that from the 500 to 600 mile mark I can get up to 7,500 RPMs?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Here is the wisdom in all it's glory!

Rather than dribble them in:

oil filters
AMSOil SMF 109
Baldwin B7419
Bike Master 314-0025
Champion PH7016
Cycle Power 314-1919
Emgo 10-55662
Emgo 10-55660
Fram PH6018
Hi-Flo HF138 <-- Recommended
J.C.Whitney ZX063166P
K&N 138 <-- Recommended
NAPA Gold 1359 (at UAP/NAPA) <-- Recommended
WIX 51359 (at UAP/NAPA) <-- Recommended
Parts Unlimited
Per-Form J-509
ProPart 01-0029
Purolator ML16818 <-- Recommended
STP SMO-18
Suzuki 16510-03G00-X07 <-- Recommended
VESRAH vsf-3009

Recommended means John Weldon cut it apart and liked what he saw. He has not checked all makes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Suzuki filter

Online I think 8 to 9 bucks.

Still more then I like to pay. However on the extremely remote chance that some engine problem occurs during warranty I want a filter that says Suzuki to eliminate that one excuse..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can someone post a link to that thread please? I'm coming up on my service and will need at least one filter. Quick question: My dealer said keep under 5K RPM until 600 miles, but the owner's manual says 500 miles. The Owner's Manual is clear about a service at 600 miles. Should I take it to mean that from the 500 to 600 mile mark I can get up to 7,500 RPMs?
Go by what the manual says. Its been my experience the dealers don't know squat about what they sell. The dealer tried to tell me the trigger on the left hand handle grip was for the high beam when passing. I told him that was for Euro models only. He pulled it and it switched the display read out. I then asked him if there was anything else he needed to know about the bike. :thumbup:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The flash to pass switch began in 2004 on USA bikes. It was moved to the hi/lo switch in 2012. AFAIK, it is in the same place for 2012 as the Euro models.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I got a KN for 10 from summit.

um, I am going to assume he didnt read the pass label on the top of the lefthand side of the button cluster.:confused:

Mine didnt know about the frost light or the temp on the display, but they sell 100's of models of bikes.. besides, I dont deal with sales after I buy it, and if the service guy didnt know what it was then I would be worried.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I stopped by my local Suzi dealer today for a filter and.............he GAVE it to me....SHOCK!!! I was happy and very surprised, even though I did happen to give him 10K for a new Adv. model last week........:yikes:

·
Registered
22,310 Posts

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Well boys its time for the 3rd world

If you know its only worth 12 then say that's nice but I will only pay $12 for it.

It won't at all for a while but haggling will start to have an effect and then become the norm.

You will have to walk away but sooner or later you will here... can't do 12 but how bout 15 etc. Eventually you will pay less

·
Registered
261 Posts
There is an adapter available so that you can use other oil filters...
The Purolator Pure One PL14610 is one of the highest rated filters that
will fit with the adapter.

Bales Technical Service Oil Filter Adaptor for oil filter adapter

Oil filters with the adapter change:

3.25 inches long.
* Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
* Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.
Made by Champion.
* Bosch 3323, about $6.
Made By Champion.
* WalMart SuperTech ST7317,
about $2. Made by Champion.

2.5 inches long.
* Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
* Mobil M1-108, about $12.
Made by Champion.
* Bosch 3300, about $6.
Made by Champion.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The Burgman adapter will fit the 2012 DL650 too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I often wondered about the potential difference in quality of oil filters. If for example if I bought one on fleabay is the quality the same as the suzuki filter?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I will be sticking with the OEM filters @ $12.91 and for now the OEM Suzuki Oil @ $5.37/L.
Cheap insurance IMO.
Ken

1 - 20 of 64 Posts