StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a fan of OEM accessories so just wanted to share some information included in the 38800-09811 (Accessory Power Plug).

I have not installed it yet, but the included installation instructions included has 13 pages of detailed (english) drawings with typical installation instructions and suggests a Suzuki dealer service tech would take 1.5 hours to install it.

Socket is normal USA car power socket

NOTES FROM PAGE 13.

1. Using an accessory with a rating greater than 30 W or using other than 12 V accessory can seriously damage the electrical system and accessory.

2. Electrical accessory wattage is limited to 12 W when the grip heater is used.

note:

Kit has about 15 parts and looks to be of high typical Japanese motorcycle quality and cost me ~ $76 with free shipping from Amazon.

Kind of costly ...... but you get what looks to be a high quality product

·
Administrator
17,405 Posts
Keep it simple and stupid, and costing more does not always mean better. I am not a fan of allot of OEM items, I find them to be inferior to the majority of aftermarket offerings. But hey....it is your money. ;)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The accessory connection is designed to be used to change a phone or GPS, low wattage items. There must have been some changes to the system after that warning was written. The accessory plug has no relationship to the OEM heated grip connection. The former is on the ignition fuse and the later is on the signals fuse. An overdraw will blow a fuse rather than causing damage. Overdraw the accessory connection and the engine will stop running. Overdraw the heated grip connection and you also lose the brake lights and turn signals.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts

Here's my setup with two sockets mounted to the bars. Left on is connected to the accs. plug, right one is connected directly to the battery (hot all the time). Plugs are waterproof (if the cap is on) so in the rare occasion of riding in the rain devices have to be unplugged. They do have to be removed to adjust the fork preload though. Bought these here. Amazon.com: Tusk 12 Volt Power Socket: Automotive

·
Registered
389 Posts

Here's my setup with two sockets mounted to the bars. Left on is connected to the accs. plug, right one is connected directly to the battery (hot all the time). Plugs are waterproof (if the cap is on) so in the rare occasion of riding in the rain devices have to be unplugged. They do have to be removed to adjust the fork preload though. Bought these here. Amazon.com: Tusk 12 Volt Power Socket: Automotive
where did you attach the pig tail leads?

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
I used the Eastern Beaver connector plugged into the accessory plug inside right fairing for one, this one turns off with ignition and is already fused. The other one connects directly to the battery with inline fuse.

·
Registered
362 Posts
OE outlet position sucks (literally)

I am a fan of OEM accessories ....

I have not installed it yet, ....

Kind of costly ...... but you get what looks to be a high quality product
I too bought the OE set and installed it -- as per instructions (as afbarrio says below - The OE aux power outlet exits down near the front cylinder head, right hand side) -- before a big, multi state ride -- including a lot of higher speed days.
I now want to remove the power outlet plug and reposition it -- behind the screen somewhere or like where Mowman's non-OE set are positioned.
I found that the high speed riding causes the passing wind stream to drag on the electrical wire of the item that's charging -- and pull the accessory plug out of the charging socket. You can remedy this with cable tie's -- or some sort of securing. However, the fact of the matter is that the exit point for the OE installation is not well thought out. Also -- the outlet plug could be swapped for a marine unit which is waterproof and has a definite click-in retaining system, rather than the simple friction fitting the OE model is in stock form. I'm thinking of both the improved outlet type as well as the improved outlet positioning.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I installed the OEM plug. 75 bucks from Suzuki. The one that goes down near the front cylinder head, right hand side My intention was to charge a GPS. A Garmin Nuvi designed for cars with a cigarette lighter plug

It was a disaster. The vibration kept disconnecting the power, and the GPS kept rebooting.

I bought a kit from Easter Beaver. Sourced power from the not used hand grip heater plug, on the left near the radiator, and used Garmin's USB Power supply.

Now it works.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestion and concerns about the Suzuki OEM power port.

FYI: I found using the loop side of velcro tape in similar power outlet plugs stops the gps cable plug from working out of loose power ports. (2008 Kaw concourse GTR1400)

I did look into Garmin and EB cables and many other ports on Amazon and ebay, but given the 2 day Amazon Prime delivery to central Florida, I decided to try the OEM electrical port.

I like many EB cables and likely if I keep my 2012 DL650a for a while will use some of their unique upgrades. (I like the headlight disconnect set up with headlight relays)

Once I install the OEM port, I will report on any issues from Florida coast line salt and humidity as well as the socket connection robustness. (Pull out)

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Never had a problem with the OEM power socket.
Use it to power a GPS, charge helmet intercom and charge my phone.

Comes in very handy having the socket installed on the bike, and it looks factory. Didn't have to worry about making brackets or cutting bodywork.

A very good accessory to have :thumbup:

More here: POWER SOURCE TERMINAL SET – Part No: 38800-09810 | A Pair of Stroms

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I got marine waterproof socket for less then $10, installed it in less then an hour connected straight to the battery through inline fuse. Socket installed at the front, just where almost everyone else installed theirs.
Two things I can't understand about the OEM socket are:
- Price
- Positioning
My socket is of hight quality with excellent rubber cover. I use it for my GPS only.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just installed the Suzuki OEM power plug

Summary of Fun

1. It works and looks good.
2. Has a 3 Amp fuse that you can get to from the top side right side.
3. Suzuki instructions are about 90% great with only a few missing details on the removal of the cowling bumper push dowels

Summary of college of hard knocks

1. With all the right tools it took me 3 hours
2. You have to remove the instrument panel and front windshield cowl assemblies
3. Many of the Suzuki OEM machine screws are made of trash metal and even with a torque wrench and craftsman drivers the hex slots seem to be made of low grade cheese.
4. Many of the screws are self taping into plastic which I hate ....
5. Velcro to help hold parts on .... at least one was not attached

Suggestion(s) If you do this

1. Watch the videos on how remove the tank panels and related parts (most link to this site)
2. Have blue loctite, a flashlight, a small mirror and a camera to record the details as well as a assortment hand tools

SUMMARY

I learned a lot about how the plastic parts on the 2012 DL650A are hooked together and you will learn to love to bend plastic more than you would like.

Will report back after a few 100 miles with the GPS to report and issues or lack of such...

Wife liked me out of the house for the 3 hours so she could enjoy a late sunday coffee and facebook ...

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Just do what I did.

Got it installed by the shop I purchased the bike from with the first service. Because they had the bike apart anyways, they installed in for me free of labour charge :thumbup:

Easy as.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
740 Posts
I got marine waterproof socket for less then $10, installed it in less then an hour connected straight to the battery through inline fuse. Socket installed at the front, just where almost everyone else installed theirs.
My socket is of hight quality with excellent rubber cover. I use it for my GPS only.
Would you please post the manufacturer and part number? (or a link)

Thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fast Update On Garmin Car GPS use with OEM power plug

Using handle bar Ram mounted to the left side of the handlebars and the standard car version Garmin 25XX series GPS and Traffic cable the Suzuki OEM accessory power port all fit together well and good GPS visibility for rider.

RAM-B-149ZU (U-bolt with two balls) with RAM HOL-GA52U (Garmin Nuvi 2595, 2450 ..)

Confirmed The Issue Posted Before Regarding GPS reboot due to connector coming loose (posted above) afbarrio

The standard GRAMIN car power plug is not a tight fit into the Suzuki OEM power port and given the power port is pointing downward at about a 30 degree angle.

I will attempt the same fix I used before on another Motorcycle GPS power plug (Use of the loop side of sticky velcro on either or both the Port or Plug)

I will report back after the modification.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Learn From My Mistake

Did the loop side sticky velcro on the Garmin plug and after 5 minutes of playing with it, success.

Success means the garmin power plug stays in the Suzuki OEM accessory power socket after a fast 25 mile ride with no electrical connection power lost to the Garmin GPS.

SUMMARY WOULD NOT BUY AGAIN

I would not buy the Suzuki OEM power socket for the use with a handlebar mounted Auto (Car) type Garmin GPS with garmin traffic power cords.

Not that the Suzuki OEM power socket is not high quality and sturdy, but due to;

1. The rear facing and downward pointing design of the power socket, while keeps the rain and water out, makes gravity and wind the enemy of a good electrical connection between the GPS plug and OEM socket.

2. The 3 hours it took me to install (Removal of cowling and lower fairing can be a pain). .... But I did learn a lot about how the bike is put together.

3. The ~ $ 75 cost of the plug.

4. The general location of the Suzuki OEM power plug is best suited for heated pants / boots / vest as it is located on the right side near your knee.

DON'T TELL MY WIFE ABOUT THIS POST

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
4. The general location of the Suzuki OEM power plug is best suited for heated pants / boots / vest as it is located on the right side near your knee.
The location might be good but the power limit is too low.

As to your wife, I will not bite on such an obvious lead in straight line. :biggrinjester:

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I added the EB PC8 (and headlight relay/cutout), so my dash power outlets (a 12V cig style and a dual-USB) and heated grips are all wired into the fuse box. While I was at it though, I added the EB connector for the stock accessory plug and ran a SAE plug/pig tail up to my tank bag, in case I need to have a camera or something else charging while on the road. I won't ever use that plug for anything more than that though.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It seems to me that all of the "weather proof" outdoor rated sockets are only such when the protective rubber cap is in place. But when you actually have something plugged into them, the weather proof part goes out the window and the plug and socket are exposed to the elements. Correct me if I'm wrong...

The OEM plug seems to be mounted in the most awkward and out of way place, not sure what the engineers were thinking that day....

Not really wanting a hard mounted power outlet with those issues, I picked up a three way outlet plug from Radio Shack for about $25 that is designed to plug into a single cigarette type outlet and placed it inside my tank bag. I just cut the single plug off and wired it to the battery. I have since wired it to the always hot circuit on my PC-8.

The beauty of it is that mid-way in the wire is an SAE plug. The plug location lined up perfectly with my tank bag. So the SAE plug now triples as a convenient battery tender hook up and electric tire pump plug in, and tank bag power hook up and anything else that might use an SAE plug.. Easily unplugged to remove the tank bag if needed. Very multi-function.

I plugged a double USB adaptor into one of three cigarette plugs and can now charge/run almost anything out of it. Just need to be mindful that it's always hot, so as not to leave devices hooked up to it when not in use.

Enercell 12VDC 3-Outlet Vehicle Power Adapter : Adapters | RadioShack.com

This photo shows my GPS plugged into it before I hardwired the GPS to the PC-8 and re-mounted it above the dash.

This is the SAE disconnect that also hooks right up to the Battery Tender plug and the plug on my Slime tire pump. I love connections that multi-task.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just do what I did.

Got it installed by the shop I purchased the bike from with the first service. Because they had the bike apart anyways, they installed in for me free of labour charge :thumbup:

Easy as.:mrgreen:
Good idea. I just tried to install mine and broke one of the clips off the cowling. Probably should have waited until it was warmer than 28f degrees in the garage so the plastic is more bendy.

Aarrgghhh! at least it mates together ok and the only one that will know it's broke will be me. But still, under 100 miles on it and it's not perfect anymore :headbang:

Although bikebandit says the cowling is only $55. I'm just anal enough to get one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts