Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Black Bed Liner Coating

• Another option, see post..

Suzuki OEM hard bag refinish?

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Sagebrush 
#1 ·
The 06 Vee I bought came with the SOFT OEM hard cases. I decided to remove the top case, it was scratched all up and seemed poor in quality. The lid paint was horrible and scratched easily.

So, I put on an old GIVI 52 that still functions fine after about 6 years an 50K plus miles. The side cases are scratched up, but they seem to function fine. I was thinking about sanding them down and painting the inserts black with the plastic rated paint or bedliner. The rest of the cases are decent, some black trim paint should perk them up.

I did find some gray and some flat black inserts online but, the prices are too high. I rather stick GIVIs on than spend a couple hundred on inserts. So, wanting to go the cheap way and use the "free" OEM scratched up bags I think painting is the best option. The bad scuffs and scratches bother me, the rest of the bike is fairly clean.

What would looks best? Flat Black, Gloss Black, Bed liner spray in black? I figure trying to match the factory gray metallic would look worse than a contrast. The GIVI I put on is flat black.

#4 ·
Plasti Dip flat black should be a close match. Available at H Depot $6 a can.
Yep thats what I was talking about, I guess Dupont and Rustoleum both have their own plastic paints. I was looking at one called Fusion tonight. I didn't realize you needed 5 coats. I did 3 on some truck parts once and it held up well.

Here is the good side, I would just paint the bag inserts with the flat black:

#3 ·
Here is a pic of the bad spot, the rest is minor scratches. The previous owner started sanding them on the left bag and made it really stand out. It bugs me, I'm thinking a good fine sanding and smooth up the deep scratches for a Fusion rattle can flat black application.

#5 ·
I tried Fusion, and it spattered so badly as to be useless, FWIW.
Oh, no opinion on color.

#8 ·
Peel it off if you don't like it.

#9 · (Edited)
Well, after some practice I got it done. I did sand the inserts to blend in the deep scratches. Sprayed the black plastic with bumper/trim paint since they were faded a good bit.

About an hour after the last coat and assembled:

I'll see how it wears like that, there are 4 coats on them with some light spray for the texture on top. Should be thick enough. Hopefully my "texture" idea will look decent after some use, if not I'll try doing it smooth. I messed up one insert and it was easy to peel off and respray. The texture hides the old damage really well, very hard to see the bad corner now.

Now I need to order an air filter, fork seals and get some fuel injection hose, I think I have that cross over fuel leak I read about on here. I ordered some Barkbuster Storms and grip puppies too. I'll be busy for a while, debating on whether to check the valves, the previous owner said they were checked and fine at 24K, only 27K on it now. The coolant looks fresh from what I can see, so maybe it was checked.

#10 ·
So far so good, the Plasti-Dip is cured now and feels hard to the touch. Got some splashed dirt on them, they clean up fine. The rough texture I put on does collect the dirt easily but the scratches are hidden well.

I like it better than the messed up silver paint... :biggrinjester:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.