StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Looking to buy a new 2019 vstrom 650 and I noticed that Suzuki offers aluminum side cases. No dealer has them available to view in my area.

I contacted Suzuki and they stated that they could not released who makes their cases but that they were manufactured in Germany.

They appear to resemble the givi Outback alluminum cases.

Does anyone own a pair or seen them in person to comment about their quality and durability compared to other aftermarket brands?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Looks like SW-Motech (Germany) to me, based on the rear side lock for the frame and the top lock for the lid. SW-Motech makes reliable cases with the TraX Ion and Adventure series. 1.5mm aluminum, inside robot welds, waterproof etc. and yes these cases are manufactured in Germany.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I saw them in the flesh at a bike show last month. The rep told me they were easy on/off, but they stick out from the bike pretty far, and have an extensive bracket setup. He didnt have pricing either, but he expected to them be $1200+.
I dont need that kind of capacity on my '14 DL1000, so I'll keep my slim integrated oem luggage.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Yes those are SW Motech Traxx boxes. I have them for my 2012. They are light, hold a lot and go on and off easily but they are very wide and the locks are finicky. I only use mine for long trips.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Yes those are SW Motech Traxx boxes. I have them for my 2012. They are light, hold a lot and go on and off easily but they are very wide and the locks are finicky. I only use mine for long trips.
Lots of powdered graphite in the locks and live happily ever after, or until a bad rainstorm.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I replaced the locks. Was easy and cheap. Can remove the key in the open position which I need on camping trips to access often and lock before turning in. Bought them on Amazon and installed myself.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
SW Motech first generation. Flimsy locks. Very thin and soft aluminum. Not quite waterproof. And to expensive. For the money better go for Givi Outback or even better for Kappa K-Venture (a bit cheaper and mounted on Monokey mounting racks which can be used for almost any Givi or Kappa cases). For Givi Outback only this cases specific mounting racks. At the same time second generation of SW Motech Trax are much better design. Not sure if ticker material though. I would recommend 38l.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
If you want to look at other than Suzuki, Givi, SW-Motek and the like, take a look at Solobox on facebook and youtube. Support an American who makes boxes that compete with the big guys on everything but price out of his garage in WA. Hand made in his one-man shop from heavy gauge Al, locks and rack mounts, all powder coated, for $599. Paniers are 33L or 39L and can be mixed and matched. $239 for 38L top box. You can learn more here about the complete manufacturing process and call and talk to Eric at 360-840-7139. I have nothing to do with Solobox, just think it's great a Made in USA product is out there at a competitive price and excellent quality.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Hello everyone,

Looking to buy a new 2019 vstrom 650 and I noticed that Suzuki offers aluminum side cases. No dealer has them available to view in my area.

I contacted Suzuki and they stated that they could not released who makes their cases but that they were manufactured in Germany.

They appear to resemble the givi Outback alluminum cases.

Does anyone own a pair or seen them in person to comment about their quality and durability compared to other aftermarket brands?

Thank you!
As others have stated they are made by SW Motech and are the Trax model. I have the SW Motech Trax version from Twisted Throttle on my K6. I've had them for over 8 years and over 60,000 miles. They were a tad expensive but I have been really happy with them. Several no speed or slow speed tip overs/get offs/ or whatever and you just pound/pry the dents out. I popped a rivet in one of the mishaps and just drilled it and replaced with a small bolt. Mine have never leaked. After the last pounding I did add some silicone to the seams. The locks are a little chintzy but replacements are readily available and easy to replace. I'd buy again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts