StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on getting a Wee in the next six months or so. I am putting together a wish list and am curious, has anyone used the Suzuki hard luggage that is available?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I didnt like it. Its a strange shape and also not that big. I have sold mine and bought a Givi setup with SW Motech hardware.
Lloyd.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Wombat, try the search feature. The luggage is made by Kappa, a subsidiary of Givi, and is largely considered to be of a lower quality. There are those who like it a lot, too, so you may want to try to find someone nearby who has that luggage so you can check it out for yourself.

I looked into it for a while, but the cost of the OEM to get it matching to your bike is very expensive. Durability iss an important issue for me, so after agonizing research, I went with Givis, knowing I can also easily add Pelican cases for the gnarlier trips.

Decide the type of riding you'll do, check the forums for others' experience, and then make the decision. It may work fine for you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
How will you use it?

To repeat one of the answers so far - the big question is what do you need it for - most of the time? This may seem like a simple question, but I have found it is difficult to apply in practice. What you need luggage for now may not be what you need it for a year or two years from now - so real world thinking rather than wishful thinking (e.g commuting and day rides vs. touring). The answer for me - after several bikes and several years - is that I mainly commute (@50 miles a day - all year round: the joy of living in Florida). But, I also want to be prepared for longer rides (10% of the time), and the occasional fire road in the forest. I had 2 main criteria: 1) side case large enough to hold my laptop and work out bag, and 2) enough additional storage to lock up riding gear (jacket, pants, helmet, etc.) especially during the "winter" months when my riding gear is thicker than when it gets over 85.

So , it was GIVI boxes (top and side) and SWMotech racks for me. Used twistedthrottle.com (cause I wanted some bike armour also). They are great to work with.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am pretty sure the new suzuki luggage is made by Nonfango not Kappa.
It certainly does not have the standard Givi/Kappa fitting.
Lloyd

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I have Givi 37L hard bags that I got from Adventure Motostuff (Great service!), along with the SW-Motch racks. It's kinda pricey, but all high quality gear. I appreciate the lockable storage space, and the bags saved my right leg once in a low-speed dump, from the bike landing on it and grinding the shit out of it.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
I am pretty sure the new suzuki luggage is made by Nonfango not Kappa.
It certainly does not have the standard Givi/Kappa fitting.
Lloyd
My new Suzuki luggage has "Made in Italy" on the box.

SS

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Suzuki bags are an odd shape but do have plenty of ground clearance. No issues with the quality of the top box. I have had one of the outer panels come loose on one of the side bags, it needed replacing under warranty. The other bag has a panel that is slightly out of alignment. Also the "Suzuki" labels on both bags have been removed as one decided not to stick on anymore. Definitely lower quality in comparison to the Givi I have had previously.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice. After looking around and shopping prices, I think I will go with the Givi V46 top and E41 sides. I really like the look (I've seen pics of that setup). I plan on doing mostly running around town with some day trips out to the Hill Country. Maybe 3-4 long trips out of Texas a year. I don't plan on anything rougher than a ranch or fire road.
Thanks, again.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Just curious, but why do the keys say SOFT?

SS

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the E41's Givi's and I really love them, I don't have the topcase as I feel I don't need the extra room at this time. Do you know that you can put the E41 case on the luggage rack with the Givi mounting plate, or the SW mounting plate, ie, the E41 case fits as a trunk case just as other cases mount there. This way you can use only one case if you wish for short trips when the sidecases are not needed, yes the red reflector will be off to one side, but the case fits square on the bracket. I haven't done mine yet, but I seen pics of this done under the "show us your V-Strom pics" on the forum.

John

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Depending on the year there are two OEM's luggage systems for the Strom. Kappa makes a larger set and the set on Lloyds bike (avatar) are made by Soft. I have the Soft and am very happy with them except for their size. They are tough as hell and the lock is far superior to the Kappa luggage. I have one of the strom kappas as a top box and its much larger.

If I were to do it all over again I would probably go with Pelican's despite the extra work.

Just my $.02,
-GW

·
Registered
34 Posts
I stand corrected - I understood they were Nonfango. Anyway they are not compatible with Givi fittings thats for sure.
Thanks for the info,
Lloyd

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm using the Suzuki supplied top box and panniers that came with my 07 GT 1000 model. I can't compare them with anything as they're the first hard luggage I've used, but so far I've no complaints.

They've carried all my basic work stuff (uniform, vest, boots, kit, hat, coat etc) with no leaks or worries at all. That includes high-speed blats on both motorways and twisties. They make the bike weave a bit above 100 though!!!;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the '07 Suzuki luggage on my wee. I love the top case, since it can fit two helmets or a few days' groceries and looks nice.

I'm not so fond of the side cases, which are awkward to load/unload while on the bike and are far too huge to keep on the bike. I'm tempted to get something that loads from the top to replace them, but I don't need all that storage very often.

The luggage mounting hardware is really nice and looks good to me. The top case mount replaces the stock cargo rack completely.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts