StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of Wee's and Vee's with these bags. How good are they? Are the rebadged Givis? Is their mount secure and how strudy are the bags? Are they as good as the Suzuki/Givi V35s?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
They aren't particularly good. They're flimsy, oddly shaped, not waterproof and not particularly well made. When you got them as an enticement for buying a 2011 for $199 they were okay because they are better than no bag at all and the mounting hardware does actually seem pretty good. My thought is that I might mount some Pelicans or the like on the racks at some point.
They are definitely not rebadged Givis, they're nowhere near that well made.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the review. That's too bad because because they're nice looking bags, especially on a black bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
They aren't particularly good. They're flimsy, oddly shaped, not waterproof and not particularly well made. When you got them as an enticement for buying a 2011 for $199 they were okay because they are better than no bag at all and the mounting hardware does actually seem pretty good. My thought is that I might mount some Pelicans or the like on the racks at some point.
"ditto"

Also have thought about adapting some other boxes to the rack which seems pretty good.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Thanks for the review. That's too bad because because they're nice looking bags, especially on a black bike.
The best you can say for the bags is they would be okay for commuting if you don't ask much of them.
But if you can get them for a good price don't underestimate the value of the racks, it would be a pretty simple matter to adapt a metal bag or Pelicans to them even with modest modifying skills (mine for example)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've been happy with mine on my 2011. They're pretty flexible but I've never had any problems with them. I only wish they were deeper and held more.
Ya know, once you have luggage you always wish you had MORE luggage.
I can't fit the kitchen sink yet.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
They are (were) made by Kappa, a subsidiary of Givi. Kappa tended to build lower cost luggage, marketed to the urban scooter European market. They are slowly getting more like Givi - new bags, for example, will mount on GIVI racks and vice versa.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The manufacturer changed from Kappa to Soft Italia some time into the run.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have them on my 2011 Wee.

Pros:

Easy to remove from the rack with a turn of the key.
Bags snap back on the rack easily
You can flip a switch inside to prevent them from coming off the rack.
Doors open wide...wide enough for everything to fall out quickly.
Factory rack is top notch, well designed. Can mount anything on the top rack.
Wide enough to act as a backup crashbar, as I have learned.

Cons:

Weird looking
Good luck finding someone that sells a compatible spare key
Definitely not worth $800 for the set of bags
Rack is designed only for the matching bags, modifications required to fit other bags
Water gets inside very easily, even with that really wide rubber gasket
Would be much better and a little roomier if the bags were rectangular
Huge red reflectors do not reflect anything

·
Registered
158 Posts
+1 on everything Green427 said above.
I was able to get spare keys made for the ignition and both bags at my local locksmith shop for $16 total.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Would a laptop computer fit inside? computer is about 14 x 10.
Each side bag will hold an armful of laptops. :) The side bags will NOT hold a helmet.
The top bag will hold a laptop and my XL helmet and gloves and other stuff as well.

·
Registered
464 Posts
+1 on everything Green427 said above.
I was able to get spare keys made for the ignition and both bags at my local locksmith shop for $16 total.
Thanks for the tip, will check out the local locksmiths.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Would a laptop computer fit inside? computer is about 14 x 10.
I am sure you can fit that in the side bags, but, I would put the laptop either secured on the pillion or in the topbox instead. The pillion would be a less jarring ride for any sensitive electronics.

I only put the less 'critical' stuff in the side bags on any bike. And, I also strap the boxes to the rack just to be safe on long, bumpy trips.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Whoever told you Givi made good pannier/bags :confused:

I had a set of genuine Givi large cases with the monokey lock system.... bloody things leaked like a bucket without a bottom, the combination changed itself on the keyless locking system [there are threads on various forums on how to get them unlocked and reset- the problem is THAT common to them], they seemed flimsy and flexed a lot, they were hard to open and didn't always close securely- I found myself triple checking them all the time on rides.

Absolutely not worth the money charged by Givi for their products. :thumbdown:

Look at some of the other brands available at cheaper prices, there are some that will mount directly to the Givi frame locking systems.

I'm using Happy Trails boxes now, also like the Trax versions available for the Wee/Vee. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts

I had a set of genuine Givi large cases with the monokey lock system.... bloody things leaked like a bucket without a bottom, the combination changed itself on the keyless locking system [there are threads on various forums on how to get them unlocked and reset- the problem is THAT common to them], they seemed flimsy and flexed a lot, they were hard to open and didn't always close securely- I found myself triple checking them all the time on rides.

Look at some of the other brands available at cheaper prices, there are some that will mount directly to the Givi frame locking systems.

I'm using Happy Trails boxes now, also like the Trax versions available for the Wee/Vee. :thumbup:
Although I'm not particularly in love with how they look , I have had absolutely zero issues with water getting in my Givi bags (mine is the one on the left). And to boot , I have landed on them , and they just smiled at me. My buddies here in the pic (also Givi.....trekkers , me thinks) have never leaked. Both bike are ridden routinely in ugly weather. I think his wouldn't fair so well , at least in the looks dept. if they were involved in a fall , but they both serve us well for packing the the old girls to the gills.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I had Givi E36s with an E45 top case since 2006. That year I had a tank slapper that began at over 100mph that tossed me off and scraped the lids on all three on the pavement. Even the top of the tank was dented somehow. I replaced the lids and the bags were still waterproof and looked like new. All these bags date back to 2006 and have no leaks.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts

I've used probably at least 4 different givi products and not had the problems you describe but irregardless, whatever you think of the Givis, the stock Suzuki bags are nowhere near as well made as a Givi. So if you think Givi sucks, you'd really be unimpressed with the Suzuki offerings.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts