StromTrooper banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ilco part #

Can anyone give me a part # for luggage blank for a 2012 DL1000 ? , thanks :headbang:

·
Registered
3 Posts
missing lock cylinders

About 10 days ago I took delivery of my 2014 V Storm The hard cases were not in and were drop shipped. When they arrived there were no cylinder locks - The mounting instructions said they were not part of the shipment. Where do I get cylinder locks for the hard cases. I called the dealer and he did not know.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
So I need a lock assembly ( tumbler, housing and the plastics piece that bolts onto the end) for my soft italia trunk and side cases. Does anyone have a contact or a part number so I can order some. The dealer closest to me can't find any info on them

·
Registered
49 Posts
A customer of mine is a locksmith. He was able to key the top case to the side cases and cut a new key as well. The blank he used is a Suzuki automotive key. With a minimal amount of file work to the grooves on the key it works as good or better than the factory key. So for any of you having trouble finding Suzuki original case keys, maybe ask your locksmith to try the auto key. It should work.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If these boxes are made by SW Motech, Twisted Throttle sells replacements locks for the Trax boxes they sell. $26 gets you 6 locks with 2 keys. Has anyone tried this? Are they the same crappy locks that come with the OEM boxes on the Adventure or are they better quality. The guy from Twisted Throttle had no experience with the OEM boxes on the glee so he couldn't answer my question.

A few weeks ago I purchased the SW Motech locks that fit the hard cases for my 2012 650 Adventure model. The locks WORK GREAT!!! The keys that come with the locks are 2 sided, don't feel flimsy and have no issues working. The locks/keys are so much better then the locks/keys Suzuki provides. Here's the link:

SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection Lock set for 3 TraX EVO ALU-BOX cases - TwistedThrottle.com

By far the best $26 I spent. You can also get 1, 2 or 3 sets of locks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
A few weeks ago I purchased the S-W Motech locks that fit the hard cases for my 2012 650 Adventure model. The locks WORK GREAT!!! The keys that come with the locks are 2 sided, don't feel flimsy and have no issues working. The locks/keys are so much better then the locks/keys Suzuki provides. Here's the link:

SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection Lock set for 3 TraX EVO ALU-BOX cases - TwistedThrottle.com

By far the best $26 I spent. You can also get 1, 2 or 3 sets of locks.
Ditto... I also replaced my `12 650 adventure locks with the SW-Motech locks and they are much butter than the OEM locks. As mentioned the keys were double-sided (even though the keys shown in the link are single-sided).

·
Registered
267 Posts
Not sure about 2012 and forward but for 2011 and older my locksmith used ILCO X86 FC7 blanks. It seems like this is about your locks falling out however!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another thing about the locks - they don't really provide any security at all! The bags are mounted on arms that can be removed quickly and without any special tool - a coin could pull off the part of the rack the box is mounted to. Further, the locks themselves only have pins on one side - you can open ANY factory vstrom baggage lock using a small piece of metal because all you have to do is push down all the pins and it opens.

I found out how to pick the locks on mine because I had to deal with the fact that both of my g*damn keys broke and nobody could make a copy (not that it matters) because the locks were so hard to move when I first got the bike. Lubing the crap out of it worked wonders but I didn't figure that out until I broke the first key and fatigued the second.

At this point, I've taken off all my locks, removed the lock pins, and reinstalled the cylinders so I can make sure the boxes are secured to the bars and have the lids tight, and just to make others think they're locked. In reality, I can use my thumb to twist the cylinder open and 'unlock' my boxes.

As for the boxes themselves, I was assured they're waterproof - I talked with the dealer and asked about the waterproofness when I was first considering what bike to buy, the quality of the luggage was important to the decision on the purchase. Anyway, turns out they're not really that waterproof. I lost a laptop because of this in one box - macbook air down the drain, and water damage is not covered under warranty. I could have bought a good set of luggage for the price of that thing! :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
My new 2018 DL1000 came with 3 lock cylinders. When the luggage (finally) arrived the dealer installed the cylinders in the new luggage and now everything works from the ignition key.
Don't lose the ignition key. I did once, and found that the code was stamped on the underside of the gas filler cap. Took the locksmith 2 hours to pick that lock. Bill

·
Registered
477 Posts
For the record, these are the blanks you have to choose from for OEM plastic hard cases for the 1st generation 650s. An earlier post confirmed that the Silca blank works. I can personally confirm the JMA ones work. Just successfully had a FI-13 cut.

·
Registered
458 Posts
My local hardware store (DeWeese Do-It-Best) has cut keys for my 2004 SV650 and my 2018 DL1000 from in-stock blanks. The new one is more recessed, so I had to modify the head of it abit, but they are both from the same Ilco X241 SUZ18 blank. (just checked and it does fit the cylinders that came with my new Strom)

·
Registered
477 Posts
My local hardware store (DeWeese Do-It-Best) has cut keys for my 2004 SV650 and my 2018 DL1000 from in-stock blanks. The new one is more recessed, so I had to modify the head of it abit, but they are both from the same Ilco X241 SUZ18 blank. (just checked and it does fit the cylinders that came with my new Strom)
Yeah, if we're talking Wee ignition, fuel cap and seat release key holes, these blades work but many models can't use the square head in the ignition without reshaping them. Not a prob with the Ilco X276 SUZ16 blank.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts