StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone drop a V-Strom with OEM handguards and have the guards or more importantly the levers survive? Any better experience with Barkbusters?

I have a set of Suzuki hardguards on back-order at a local dealer and am thinking about switching the order to Barkbuster guards. I ordered the Suzuki handguards for my DL650 primarily for extra wind protection in the winter but also have had cause to replace levers in the past when my wife dropped the bike at intersections. I don't do much off-road riding so far but wlll be hitting a fireroad eventually. Anyone want to give me odds on the levers surviving a low-speed drop with OEM guards? Barkbusters? I realize the Barkbusters will do a better job but want to ask about just how much better? Any real world experiences people can share?

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Larry,

As I mentioned in another thread, I dropped my bike for the first time yesterday. The end of the bars did make contact with the ground. I am happy to say being 30 miles from home, my Acerbic Enduroguards probably saved my front brake lever.

If the OEM ones worked, great. I just did not see any real protection for levers since they do not appear to have any metal in them when I was in the market for guards.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I have the dual star atv style guards and can sadly say they survive drops and gravel lowsides with ease and have never broken a lever. If the bike does touch down they flex and smush the levers back into the bar with no breakage. They also offer extensions that protect from the cold. The whole set costs about the same as the oems. I don't like wraparounds on the street because I don't want my hand getting tangled. I believe twisted throttle has pictures.

·
Rjsurfer
539 Posts
Larry,

Like your wife dropped the bike......sure:cool:

rjsurfer

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Larry,

Like your wife dropped the bike......sure:cool:

rjsurfer
The 2006 weestrom started out as my wife's first bike after I bought a 2006 Vulcan cruiser. She dropped the V-Strom twice but became a decent rider after taking the MSF basic rider course. Long story but she gave up riding because of a bad back and I decided I liked the V-strom better than the Vulcan. So now it's my bike. :-D

Check out all the history at my blog if you like.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Larry,

As I mentioned in another thread, I dropped my bike for the first time yesterday. The end of the bars did make contact with the ground. I am happy to say being 30 miles from home, my Acerbic Enduroguards probably saved my front brake lever.

If the OEM ones worked, great. I just did not see any real protection for levers since they do not appear to have any metal in them when I was in the market for guards.

Jim

Your reply and most of the others confirm my expectation that I am better off spending a bit more on something like the barkbusters if I want the added benefit of protecting the levers. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I got knocked over at 30-40 mph on Rt 95 and the bike slid on its side. The plastic is scratched up but the lever was fine.

Hit sand and went down on the left side at low speed - 10-15 mph or so. There's a crack in it and it's scraped, but still usable and the lever was fine. The harness did get pulled out of the clutch interlock but slides back in.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The OEM Suzuki hand guards are cosmetic only - hitting a large bug can break them.
This may sound harsh, but during a high side on a gravel road, the right handguard simply rotated, tearing the top mount hole, and coming off the bike - the guards are held on by the lever pivot top through bolt, and the only thing stopping it from rotating is the small amount of plastic around the top bolt. (the other two mount spots are just slotted - see clutch side picture from DL1000K5 ). Shortly after replacing it, I tipped it over in my garage, the handguard hit the lawnower and split vertically at the outer bend. I also like my levers adjusted at a slight downward angle - the handguards rotate with the levers, causing air to come over the top of the guard into my vented gloves. The handguards are second in uselessness only to the DL1000's plastic air vents (crash sliders?) on the side cowlings.
I now leave the mirror/lever mount clamp bolts just tight enough to stay in place, but loose enough to allow the lever to rotate should it fall (learned this from a motocrosser), this may save the handguard also.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I have the factory "knucle gaurds", I wish that I would have gotten something more robust. The factory ones do a great job of a wind deflector, I have not yet crash tested them but I have been doing some harder off-road stuff and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before she falls over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got the OEMs (for the Vee) on my Wee. The first time I took the bike out with them on I dropped the bike in a snow dusted road (of course). Was descending a hill in 1st gear, going maybe 12 mph and laid her down on the clutch side. The givi sidecase and handle bar end cap took the worst of it, but my clutch lever did get a bit tweaked and needed some bending back. All that I HAD to replace was the screw because it was bent. I may or may not replace the end balancer as it is just a chunk of metal and the road rash is purely cosmetic, just like on the handguard.

OEM "knuckle" guards are great for wind, look great, and are cheap ($50ish). BUT, even though mine survived my little spill, I'd hate to think what would happen in a "real" crash and am considering spending the extra $100+ for barkbusters.

·
Registered
813 Posts
My standard LHS guard have survived two drops (one which bent the bolt holding the bar-end weight on) without breaking the clutch lever. They're a bit scuffed up though.

Both incidents were at low speed (30-40km/h), one was a drop onto tarmac the other rocks & boulders...

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
They do tend to save the levers, but they do crack. The good news is that they plastic weld very nicely and the do provide better weather protection than anything else.

I repaired mine at least four times I can remember. But yeah, I'd recommend barkbusters or similar instead if you expect to drop the bike.

Pete

·
Registered
485 Posts
I slid my bike down the road for 100' at 20 MPH and scuffed the OEM guard, pulled it from the mount and scuffed the end of the brake lever. Everything went back together, no drama.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone have a Suzuki p/n for the 140 mm long phillips head screw that holds the bar extender and end on? :confused: Dealer says they can't get it! :furious: I dropped mine on the brake side and bent it severely enough I need to replace it. Broke the brake lever and scuffed up the guard and bar-end but not too bad so will re-use them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't post a lot, but I like to read a lot. I remember Greywolf saying that you have to look for the DL1000 screw since the handguards are stock on the DL1000 and not stock on the DL650. According to Bike Bandit the DL1000 PN for the screw is 1023979. The PN for the DL650 screw is 1023976.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts