StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been done to death - many threads make reference to this seat for the Vstrom as an alternative to the stock seat but I cannot find one when I search Suzuki/OEM part suppliers - any ideas?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have one Ill sell you.. i dont know how old it is. but.. its in good shape. a new one is 180+ I think.. so think on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gel seat

Soooooo, mind telling me where you found it originally - I may very well want to buy yours but I'm at the "what the hell are these things" stage! Is it a Suzuki made part? Why do you want rid of yours?!!!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Just google "Suzuki Vstrom Gel Seat" or "Suzuki DL650 Gel Seat", pretty simple to find, all over the place. And yes, OEM part:fineprint:

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
The Gel Seat is a Suzuki Accessory, but can be found frequently on Ebay........prices range from $100 to $200. I believe it's a stock seat that has a Gel Insert placed in it.......it could have some stock foam removed for the gel insert to fit correctly....I honestly don't know, just guessing. Some owners find they get super-hot in the summer if left in the direct sunlight. I use one..........sold my heavy, expensive Corbin and went back to the Gel seat + a sheepskin cover doo-hicky......fits my inseam/crotch area better than the corbin (the corbin would tend to spread my thighs farther apart to where I had difficulty touching the ground).

I'm only posting here since the first two guys above have a low number of posts and appear to not been here very long. I hope this helps in some way!! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
The Gel Seat is a Suzuki Accessory, but can be found frequently on Ebay........prices range from $100 to $200. I believe it's a stock seat that has a Gel Insert placed in it.......it could have some stock foam removed for the gel insert to fit correctly....I honestly don't know, just guessing. Some owners find they get super-hot in the summer if left in the direct sunlight. I use one..........sold my heavy, expensive Corbin and went back to the Gel seat + a sheepskin cover doo-hicky......fits my inseam/crotch area better than the corbin (the corbin would tend to spread my thighs farther apart to where I had difficulty touching the ground).

I'm only posting here since the first two guys above have a low number of posts and appear to not been here very long. I hope this helps in some way!! :thumbup:
Well said. I also just started to use a nice Alaska Leathers sheepskin. Very happy with the gel seat which does get warm but not a deal breaker. It is perhaps 1/2-3/4" taller than stock, fits great because it is a Suzuki product, and it has a firm feel (sort of how Corbins feel firm). It is better than stock, perhaps unless you already feel the stock is too tall. Comfortable to stand up on too. I've ridden 600 mile days but couldn't have done that with stock seat.

For the money you cannot beat the gel seat. Many Wee riders seem to like the Vee (1000) seat better than original, fewer seem to like the tall seat.

Click onto my Avatar, then locate my photo album to see some pics.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went from OE to gel to Sargent and finally a Russell. I am heavy and the Russell works better than good for me. The OE and gel with hot and just painful.

·
Registered
15,601 Posts
I got both stock and Gel with my Wee. The Gel seat seems to be harder than a carp. Even with an Air Hawk on it it busted my booty. I'm using stock with the Air Hawk now. I'll know better after a week on the road at the end of the month.
I've a 29" inseam and am not flat footing at stops. The bike is so much fun I don't care. I'm Stromming some BMW rallies! I'll just tell them the battery died or the belt broke or something. :green_lol:

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Stromdoc. I have a gel seat you can buy. Good condition and no missing parts. PM me with an offer if interested.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
The Gel seat seems to be harder than a carp. Even with an Air Hawk on it it busted my booty.:green_lol:
I've never sat on a "carp". Haha.

my guess is you've never used a Corbin which is at least has hard if not harder than gel. Firm seats do require some break-in and show their value more on long rides than around town. Softer seats would be Sargent.

With a 29" inseam, the gel would probably also be a bit tall particularly with the airhawk.

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
15,601 Posts
'Hard as a carp', my daughter says that. Strange comparison. I had a Corbin on my last adventure bike, '89 Bumble Bee GS. It was great. No Air Hawks needed. Butt, that was a much younger butt.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"Harder than a carp" sounds pretty bad - isn't the whole point of this gel seat is that it should be softer???

·
Registered
392 Posts
gel seats

The gel in the seat does an excellent job of doing what it was intended to do, absorb vibration. It was never intended to make the seat softer and it doesn't do that, it's very hard. If you don't have a vibration problem in the seat, it's the wrong material for you.

Bill H.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts