StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know this is probably talked about all the time.

After riding on 2 110 or so mile rides this week. I realized the stock seat really isn't that comfortable(breaking news, right?).
I don't care for the "saddle" type seats(Corbin, Sargent, etc), I'm sure they are comfy but don't fit my riding style. The Saddlemen seats with suede really appeal to me, but are a little more costly than I feel I can justify for as much as I ride, which gets me to the Suzuki Gel seats.

They seem to be generally liked are $130+ less than saddlemen. But what I don't see answered much is, how is the passenger area compared to stock? My wife doesn't seem to mind stock it as much as I mind the front, but definitely wouldn't argue with some improvement. The gel seat looks a little taller than stock in the back, but is it much different?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I have the gel seat and I believe that the gel is only in the main section. I just got a sheepskin for my wife and a pair of padded bike shorts. She's happier but still doesn't like to ride all day. Just got a pair of padded shorts from Areostich but haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts

I have the gel seat on my DL1000k6.
Am told the "gel" is only in the forward section of the seat.
I find it to be quite comfortable for a stock seat.
My pillion does NOT like the seat at all when riding 2-up and puts an AirHawk under her fanny on every ride.

YRMV :cheers2:
-Ej-

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So is it safe to gather that vs stock, the rear isn't much (if any) more comfortable on the gel seat? Or is it better, but still not great?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
So is it safe to gather that vs stock, the rear isn't much (if any) more comfortable on the gel seat? Or is it better, but still not great?
Yup.
I even heard horror stories of poor pillion comfort on custom made Vee seats.

If you order a (blindingly expensive) custom seat, you would have to specify that you want the pillion section done too, or all you'd get is a comfortable front and little more than a fancy cover over the typical uncomfortable rear.

Did a lot of research on this for my own Vee a few years back.
Lots of options for the Vee but making the pillion comfy is an added expense.

I'm cheap!
I simply blew $90 on a small AirHawk for the the pillion, and kept the stock gel seat.

Happy hunting! :cheers2:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup.
I even heard horror stories of poor pillion comfort on custom made Vee seats.

If you order a (blindingly expensive) custom seat, you would have to specify that you want the pillion section done too, or all you'd get is a comfortable front and little more than a fancy cover over the typical uncomfortable rear.

Did a lot of research on this for my own Vee a few years back.
Lots of options for the Vee but making the pillion comfy is an added expense.

I'm cheap!
I simply blew $90 on a small AirHawk for the the pillion, and kept the stock gel seat.

Happy hunting! :cheers2:
Yeah kinda seems that way from what I've read, too. Looks like I'll probably be doing the same thing with the pad, or splurge and give the saddleman a try with the split seat thing going on.

Thanks for the insight guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts