StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a new seat for my k7 Wee and was hoping to get some comments about Suzuki's gel seat. I'm curious to know how it is for comfort and fit. Does it raise or lower the seat height at all. I'm 5'9 and would not want to raise the height any higher than it is now. All comments appreciated.

SS

·
Registered
68 Posts
Fit is not the best. Mine has a nice little gap between the tank and seat. It will also raise the seat height by about an inch. I'm 5'10", 31" inseam and tippy-toe with the gel. Not unmanageble, but trying to walk the bike while on is pretty much out for me.

The seat seems stiffer than the stock, but in the long run, this is actually better. It provides more support over a wider area than the stock which compresses a lot and causes pressure points. It takes getting use to, but it is an improvement in long distance comfort over the stock seat.

Given you're 5'9", I would suggest maybe a custom seat that allows you to get a good footing...

Good luck!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Gel seat is taller. So in your case probably not recommended. On the comfort side it is firmer and I get a good hour on the seat before I start thinking about a break. It isn't the most comfortable seat I have owned over the years, but it works pretty well for my day to day commute which is what I use my bike for. Good luck in your saddle search.

Longsnowsm

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm considering a new seat for my k7 Wee and was hoping to get some comments about Suzuki's gel seat. I'm curious to know how it is for comfort and fit. Does it raise or lower the seat height at all. I'm 5'9 and would not want to raise the height any higher than it is now. All comments appreciated.

SS
The Gel-Seat will be 40mm or 1 1/2 inches higher and a little wider than the stock Wee Strom seat. Just my opinion, but unless you have at least a 31 or 32 inch inseam. I'd give the Gel a bye. I'm 31" inch inseam and also on the tips of my toes.

HTH's

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Do not park your bike in direct sunlight all day -- the gel absorbs the heat and holds it. I've had a couple of VERY uncomfortable rides home from work. :) I now park in the shade at work.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks everyone. It sounds like I may be just a bit too short for the gel seat. I have about a 30" inseam and I'm on the balls of by feet now. Do you guys have any suggestions for other seats? What about some kind of buttpad that isn't too thick?

Again, thanks for your advice.

SS

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
There are several custom seat options out there such as Sargent, Rick Meyers etc but none of them are cheap.
The Alaska Sheepskin butt pad works well for me adds about 1/2 inch and is inexpensive.
Other but pad options that don't add much height are the wooden bead seat cover or adding a layer of closed cell foam under the seat cover.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Dirt bikes

If you've ridden dirt bikes and are used to being up high, you can use the Gel seat. I have a 30" inseam and it reminds me of riding my CR dirt bike.

It's a good seat for cheap. Most custom seats will be 4X more.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are several custom seat options out there such as Sargent, Rick Meyers etc but none of them are cheap.
The Alaska Sheepskin butt pad works well for me adds about 1/2 inch and is inexpensive.
Other but pad options that don't add much height are the wooden bead seat cover or adding a layer of closed cell foam under the seat cover.
Thanks Colin

SS

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Got my gel for Christmas. Ended up lowering the bike to compensate. Then I totally forgot about the "hot seat" effect until it happened to me. I put my sheep skin back on and it seems to be OK. It's not THE answer, but it's better than stock and cheaper than custom.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I'm 5'9" (in my socks), 31" inseam (try finding pants that length :() and have the gel seat... it works OK for me but it was noticeably taller compared to the stocker... not really an issue for normal riding/sitting on the bike but I have to reach for the ground when rocking off the SW-Motech center-stand (I'm on the balls of my feet when up on the stand).

Other than that, and the aesthetic problem of the gap between the seat and tank (I think it closes up when I'm sitting on it), I like the gel seat. It's a definite improvement in comfort. I may $pring for a $argent next year though.

- Martin

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm 5'9" (in my socks), 31" inseam (try finding pants that length :() and have the gel seat... it works OK for me but it was noticeably taller compared to the stocker... not really an issue for normal riding/sitting on the bike but I have to reach for the ground when rocking off the SW-Motech center-stand (I'm on the balls of my feet when up on the stand).

Other than that, and the aesthetic problem of the gap between the seat and tank (I think it closes up when I'm sitting on it), I like the gel seat. It's a definite improvement in comfort. I may $pring for a $argent next year though.

- Martin
Thanks for the info Martin.

SS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts