StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last month the drivers sitting area of a Suzuki Gel Seat I purchased in the spring of 2010 has started splitting and cracking. Has anyone else had this issue?

I keep the bike in the garage and it is only sitting outside during the day when I ride it to work (3-4 times per week) and it is in the shade in the afternoon.

Suzuki Canada says the seat is only warrantied for 90 days from purchase.

I figure I just cover the cracks with black electrical tape and look at buying a new seat (I think the Sargent).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
As you know, the gel heats up quickly and retains the heat for a long time. That is certainly contributing to the cracking. I have had my gel seat since 2007 and it's still in perfect shape. I have an Alaska Buttpad on it that keeps it protected from the sun and heat damage. I also find that it keeps my butt comfy year round--cool in the Summer and warm in the Winter. I suggest that before you spend money on a Sargent seat, invest in a Buttpad and keep it on while it's parked at work. I've had the Sargent seat and I prefer the combination of the gel seat and the buttpad over the Sargent.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Huh. I wonder if treating the vinyl would prevent this sort of cracking from UV light, or was it caused by heat-related physical expansion of the gel that essentially tore the vinyl?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Mines now done the same thing. About a 2" crack. I bought it used and since I've had it it's been garage kept. Looked perfect when I bought it. I'm really not worried about it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't know if you already got a new seat, but I 100% recommend the Sargent. I can ride all day on it without butt burn!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yep, I got two cracks on my Suzuki gel seat. One is about an inch long and the other is a WEE bit smaller. Think it was due to heat. Pissed me off at first, but now not so much.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same story..........Purchased in 2010 and 3,4 crack appeared this summer. And I am pissed, Just hope it dosnt get any worse. Love that seat!

·
Registered
36 Posts
There is no need to get a new seat. Take it to any auto or boat upholstery place and ask then to recover it. With the old cover as a pattern it is easy peasy for them. If you have sewing skills or know someone else who does you could do it yourself. You could also up the ante and get it recovered in leather. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Same prob here, bike lives inside unless I am on it...After 2 seasons it was cracking. I did read on another forum that the quality of that section of vinyl was sub-par (ya think?) and that some folks even got them replaced on warranty.

The seat was made by Travelcade, a division of Saddleman. I have contacted them in hope of buying a new seat cover...but to no avail.

I really do like the seat, and will either have it recovered or buy another one providing the material has been improved. Even new, that part of the seat felt very brittle.

Cheers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts