StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Plenty of threads about this... but to give a quick answer, I have the Suzuki gel seat and it is a big improvement over the stock POS. However, I still get a burnin' bum about 4 hours into my 6 hour commute. This would probably happen with just about ANY seat. But it was a big improvement over the stock seat. Hope this helps a bit, try the search tool, it will give you lots of good info.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Gel is firm like a Corbin (Yes I've owned 3 Corbins in past) and a great value. It runs a bit hot in summer - better with Alaska sheepskin. Not a miracle seat but at least doubles my comfort and I carry an Airhawk for long rides (which I've used on many bikes but is not good off road - standing). Is it a Russell Day Long? No but it's $350 cheaper.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wondering if anyone has one or has tried it and can give me some feedback.
I have one for the 650 I'd love to part with for a fair price and actual postage from 97756. :yesnod:

Sold the bike and seat has no use to me now.

FWIW: My ass found the stocker more comfortable than the gel. :fineprint:

·
Registered
666 Posts
I love my gelly seat; for me, a definitive improvement over stock. Does raise you a bit, which worked out well for me.

It does get hot on the sun; if I park outside, I make sure I leave something on the seat so it is not under the direct heat; here in TX that could be... uncomfortable. :yikes:

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,405 Posts
Wondering if anyone has one or has tried it and can give me some feedback.
If you put in on a Wee to change out the torture device that comes on those you will think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread!

It is better than the factory Vee seat IMO. Mainly due to the better shape it is formed in.

If the V Stroms came with this seat from the factory they would be looked upon as having one the best saddles any bike has from the factory.

They are not in the same league as a Russell Day Long, or one of the Mayer saddles. But for the price you cannot go wrong!

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
It's a good value, compared to other "custom" seats out there.

Comfortable and raises you up an inch or so from the stock 650 seat.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I like mine much better than the stock seat. Considerably less butt fatigue. I was surprised to find it is (or feels) slightly wider and thus affects how well my fleet plant on the ground (I'm 5-10). I really liked the seat so I got some 3/4in lowering links and all is well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the info. I did not realize that increasing the seat height would help. I am 6'2" so my knees are a bit bunched. Sounds like the Gel with the extra inch can't but help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've tried the stock seat, Gel, Sargent, and now I'm gonna try a Corbin.
The Sargent is for sale if anyone's interested. Nice seat, but too soft for my taste.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The gel is a major improvement over the stock seat for me. I don't recommend it for shorter riders because it moves you up and back a bit. Also, the gel heats up if you leave it sitting in direct sunlight. For the money, I believe it's the best seat available. If money isn't a consideration get a Russel Day Long.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Gel seat & Alaska sheepskin

Got both about a month ago. I *thought* I felt a difference until, just like the stock seat, my butt started aching 2 1/2 hours into riding. I'm just going to resign myself to taking (to steal an old saying) "a butt break" every couple of hours i.e. getting off the bike and walking around before motoring on down the road.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm 6'4" 240, and I just installed the Gel seat last week. My commute one way is 27 miles, and my a$$ hurt half way through. The gel seat has eliminate any discomfort. As far as long trips, I cant comment. Good luck.

·
Boy talks too much....
588 Posts
I commute about 100 miles a day and it made the ass-ache go away. It used to start to hurt halfway through each leg and now its a non issue. Course getting it for $40 didn't hurt my feelings either.:hurray:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have one for the 650 I'd love to part with for a fair price and actual postage from 97756. :yesnod:

Sold the bike and seat has no use to me now.

FWIW: My ass found the stocker more comfortable than the gel. :fineprint:
Sold a short time after this post.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
It's far from perfect but I like the gel much better than the stock, especially off highway. I'm still looking to further upgrade.

Michael

1 - 20 of 27 Posts