StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a copy of Rider magazine where they reviewed BMW, Honda and Suzuki's scooters. Check out the angle of arm bend on each rider. Sure, the riders respective sleeve length is a factor but the Burgman rider's arm is just about straight stiff. Clearly, BMW prefers a more relaxed ergonomic which is much more to my taste. Of the 3, I think the Honda rider's position looks the most comfortable. Does Suzuki think that an aggresive mountain bike position looks cool? Maybe it's a better position for off road-ing but, seriously, how many of us do that?

And on a Burgmann?? :green_lol:
(BTW, the reviewer liked the Suzuki best overall :thumb up:)

I, ( 5'8", 34 sleeve) for one, don't like feeling like I'm riding a bike made for an NBA forward. That's why, after reading the recent excellent post about a Rox riser install (thank you for that, btw!) I realized that it was the next priority farkle for me. Blair is sending the brake line, speed bleeder and brake fluid with the riser.
Can't wait!! :hurray:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Well, we're all different. Personally I prefer my arms a little towards the straight position. The rider in the middle looks very cramped to me. I could not tolerate my arms being bent like that. Also, it looks to me like the rider on the left (white scoot, I think that's the Suzuki) appears to be much smaller in stature than the other riders, so with shorter arms, that position would be logical.

To each their own.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you about the Beemer rider. His body position suggests the scooter is too small for him.

I'm coming from a K100 LT which for me is a more "relaxed" position. The straighter the arm, the more tense your triceps are going to be. How do you sit in an arm chair? The rider on the right looks about right to me, and I'm nowhere near that on my Wee…which makes me feel a bit Lilliputian...:beatnik:

·
Registered
518 Posts
The Burgman rider is small and probably has the adjustable backrest too far to the rear. My 5'1" wife sits farther forward then that on her Burgman 400, and her arms are comfortably bent.
The picture says nothing. I'm afraid.:fineprint:

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I had a Burgman 650 at 5'7" I was a happy camper

if someone wants to commute on 2 wheels its the smart choice

·
Registered
327 Posts
I don't know how one could even begin to draw comparisons or conclusions from that picture. None of the riders are of equal stature - The rider on the Suzuki with the straight arms looks significantly smaller than than the two - almost looks to be female.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Points well taken, fellow inmates! I guess I saw that picture and had an "ah-ha" moment to affirm what I've experienced going from my old K100 LT to the Wee.

When I plugged my dimensions in to the ergonomics link, it simply doesn't reflect the reality I experience relative to the 2 bikes. I like my arms more bent than they currently are and am looking forward to putting Rox adjustable risers on to hopefully remedy that. As the responses resoundingly confirm: to each his own….:yesnod:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
My arms were bent on my Harley RK. I tried for several years to get rid of a nagging shoulder pain that was pretty severe after a few hours on the bike. I then acquired my Vee. It came to me with 1 inch up risers and Magura dirt bike handlebars. The bars felt too far forward and I adjusted them back but the rotation of the grips down was wrong.

I decided to rotate the Maguras back to the correct position and ride it for a while before moving bars back some with new risers. My body adjusted to the new set up nicely and now my shoulder pain is entirely gone and on much longer rides even.

I now believe that you should try what you have out for a few thousand miles first. Pain will help you with the adjustments.

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Your personal ergonomics and preferences can change with time also. I used to bicycle a LOT, several hundred miles per week. My old fast road bike was continually upgraded (I have about $1200 into a $500 bike) and I spent a lot of time and effort and money for seats, handlebars, pedals, etc., to get my riding position perfect. Once I got things the way I liked them I rode that bike unchanged for many years and thousands of miles. I did many 100+ mile days. Fast forward about six years during which I didn't ride at all, had some health issues, switched to motorcycles, etc. One day I got on it to go ride and I could not go a mile, it was so ill-fitting. To make it fit the "new me" I had to move the seat forward 1/2 inch, lower the bars about 3/8 inch, change the bar angle, and drop the angle of the tri-bars about 5 degrees. Same thing with my mountain bike, I had to change every setting to be able to ride it again.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Scott,
I've got over 13,000 miles on the bike to date. I can ignore it…but then I wouldn't be able to farkle….:green_lol:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
My wife has owned two 650 Burgmans, which I rode quite a bit, and I found both of them to be very comfortable. In fact, both of us found it to be one of the most comfortable bikes we've ridden. We also found that the stock seat was nothing to write glowing tales about (seems to be a Suzuki thing) and was replaced with a Russell Daylong. I am 6'2" with a 34" arm length, and she is 5'7" and I don't know her arms length.

My father-in-law had a Silverwing 600 scooter, which I rode several times. It was pretty comfortable, but not as much as the Burgman. He liked it until he rode a Burgman 650, so he got one of them himself. He also liked the stock seat on both bikes, so I have to concur that seating comfortable is purely subjective in nature.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a burgman 650 exec and have no problem. I am 5 9 with 32 inch sleeve. I fell like I am in an easy chair when I ride it. BTW that small back rest in the rider portion of the seat is adjustable and you can move it up for a more relaxed position. It is all the way back, so there is room for adjustment.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
and this is in Vstrom discussions, why exactly?

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I saw that picture, I thought perhaps it reflected an ergonomic philosophy on Suzuki's part. The Burgmann rider's arm position is much like mine on my Wee.
Turns out, I brought out the Burgmann fans.. I don't that would be too hard to figure out if you read the thread starter… :beatnik:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts