StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to maybe change crash bars on my strom. It came with the standard suzuki ones which seem good but I was looking for something with more protection for the tank. Being a skinflint I ordered some 3/4 by 3mm steel loops from eBay and welded them on. Im quite pleased with the results. What do you think? I hope this post is in the correct place? I'm a new member.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Look great !
Good job.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Looks good, and I guess will protect the tank in some situations, however from my experience, between the OEM bars and the handlbars, the tank doesn't touch the ground in a fall. If you dropped onto a rock or log however, your mod would likely be better.
Bill

·
Registered
15,614 Posts
Most of the tank damage comes from the handlebars getting forced back in the fall down.

Your mod makes the crash bars look better and more purposeful, Good job.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Most of the tank damage comes from the handlebars getting forced back in the fall down.

Your mod makes the crash bars look better and more purposeful, Good job.
You'd need to be bending handlebars pretty badly for that to happen.
I've had my bike down 4 times with the OEM crash bars and OEM handlebars and the handle bars don't touch the tank.

Here's the damage after a slide down a gravel road at about 50km/h after a low-side on a slippery off camber corner I badly misjudged.
The OEM crash (accesory bars) did a great job.
All the others (downs) have been low speed drops (u turns when tired etc) when fully loaded and two up (call me tumbleweed:smile2:)

However agree that the added bar work can't hurt unless the added hoop actually bends into the tank itself. Yo're going need to bin the bike to find that out tho, and no one wants that...ever.

Bill.

·
Registered
15,614 Posts
I got the handle bar dent in the tank when I crash in a spectacular fashion in Utah. It may have been the left clutch/switch assy that did the dent but it's attached to the handle bars.
And yeah the bars got a bit crinked. When you put the whammy on things all sorts of results are possible.
Mind you it's a little dent but it's there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts