StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on the last page ad suzuki claims 81 mpg or 28.8 klm per liter for the 650 that adds up to 636 klm per tank although this is at 80 klm per hour on a flat road

·
Registered
636 Posts
My car says 51 mpg and I couldn't reach that if I bumped the tires up to 100 psi and let a skinny guy like Gandhi drive the thing.

I think Suzuki is being a little more that optimistic, something like Yamaha's 17,000 redline on the R6.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
on the last page ad suzuki claims 81 mpg or 28.8 klm per liter for the 650 that adds up to 636 klm per tank although this is at 80 klm per hour on a flat road
I have gone through several tanks of fuel on my 650 while doing 80-90kph and the best I could get was 69mpg. I suppose that if you drove it like it was made of glass and had a good tailwind and coasted a lot you might get the mpg number to come up a bit, but 81 mpg, not likely. Recently I rode 393 km on 16.4 litres of fuel. That's almost 24km per litre which equates to around 69 mpg. This week I'm driving it like a rented mule and I am certain that it will not big a big surprise to see that number drop to 18-20 km per liter or less. Next they'll be saying the 1000 gets good mileage :)

SS

·
Registered
35 Posts
I start to look for fuel around 420kms and and the last bar starts to flash; I am quite surprised that the tank will only take 18 litres. But I don't think I could squeeze an extra 200kms out of 4 or 5 litres. Would be nice though.

Patt

·
Registered
180 Posts
2003 vee milage

just got back from a 3 day trip to Cape Breton Island . 1289.9km. 85% secondary roads avg speed 70-80kmh and many tourist stops. several runs around 120-140 maybe 200 km of it, my milage 56.1mpg. 2 up combined weight 450lbs, top case and side cases fully loaded extra 100 lbs, LOADED... btw going up Cape Smokey not a problem ,very strong bike

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Although the Wee doesnt really get that kind o mileage, I still recieved joy by rubbing the ad into my Kwacker buddies nose.

The best I have ever got was 68mpg, average on long trips in the 57mpg range.

Smiles per gallon is maybe what Suzuki was trying to say in that ad.... :)

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Although the Wee doesnt really get that kind o mileage, I still recieved joy by rubbing the ad into my Kwacker buddies nose.

The best I have ever got was 68mpg, average on long trips in the 57mpg range.

Smiles per gallon is maybe what Suzuki was trying to say in that ad.... :)

Cheers!
Well said rcacs. Smiles per gallon :):):):):) oh yeah......

SS

·
Registered
8 Posts
"no way"

I've been keeping track of my mileage on my 04 and have never been better than 24 kpl. Bit optimistic I think on Suzuki's part.

·
Rjsurfer
539 Posts
Not so...my 07 never gets below 60 mpg, I do ride easy have to admit.

That mileage mimics what I get on my DRZ 400SM.

I think the 07's just give better mileage because of the dual plugs and other FI mods and pollution stuff.

Ron W.

·
Administrator
13,204 Posts
I've recorded my mileage since I got it end of July last summer and have 22,000 km on my bike. The best tank I got was 4.12 l/100 or 68.52 mpg (Canadian) and that was the last tank on our little run through southwest Ontario, the worst was 49.03 mpg in December with a lot of higher speed highway driving in cold weather. Best three tank average was 64 mpg, worst 50 mpg. Overall average is 58.84 mpg.

I would bet that if I did a consistant 80 kph (50 mpg) non-stop in warmer weather I could get close to 80 mpg (Canadian.)

..Tom

·
Registered
984 Posts
Mileage

Down here in the Untied Snakes of Murica I average 56 - 57 mpg with a one time high of 61 will just out plonkin' along and playing tourist. I know a guy who is a mechanical engineer who makes a hydrogen injection device for cars that increases fuel mileage by 20 - 50 %. Trying to figure out how to mount one to the 'Strom without it looking too ugly of Mad Maxish. The device is easily made with material from the local hardware store and Radio Shack. It produces hydrogen gas with the mixture of two chemicals and water and is plumbed into the airbox. He rides an old airhead Beemer and runs his diesel Jetta on veggie oil just like ole Doc Diesel intended.

·
Registered
481 Posts
My Vee is sounding better all the time :cool:

·
Registered
157 Posts
The Japanese do the same thing with their cars. They are set up to run on a dyno where the mileage is figured out. No manufacturer gives an honest mpg or l/100 kms. The Japanese have this down to a fine art though so that they can claim superiority in gas mileage, when in fact they are not even close to real world figures. Freaking 50cc Vespas have trouble with 85 mpgs for Pete's sake.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I would bet that if I did a consistant 80 kph (50 mpg) non-stop in warmer weather I could get close to 80 mpg (Canadian.)

..Tom
I have tried to do this on a couple occasions. Actually managed for 50 or 60Km. Then saw a "no maintenance beyond this point" sign. Well.... all bets are off at that point 'cause I had to check out where the "road" went.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts