StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used wee k4. the guy that had it did some suspention work. it has
Penske sport shock in the rear purchased from Traxxion dynamics. The shock may be a little taller than stock. I'm unsure what spring it has. Front sonic .95 springs with Race tech emulators in the forks.

so the ride is really stiff. I have taken off quite a bit of preload but its still stiff for me (170 pounds) the guy I bought this from was about 6'4 and 215 pounds or so.. but i suspect that he would say that ride was stiff as well. I also have the stock rear adjustable shock. I wonder what is the opinion of the stock rear shock?

I can live with it the way it is. but on longer trips it would be nice to not feel every single crack in the road. so.. should I put in the stock shock? I think I just talked my self into it.

anyway.. what is the quality like? can i count on it to have no problems for the for 50k? or are they crap? also, how are they on dirt/gravel and rocky roads? lots of those here in tucson :)

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
I bought a used wee k4. the guy that had it did some suspention work. it has
Penske sport shock in the rear purchased from Traxxion dynamics. The shock may be a little taller than stock. I'm unsure what spring it has. Front sonic .95 springs with Race tech emulators in the forks.

so the ride is really stiff. I have taken off quite a bit of preload but its still stiff for me (170 pounds) the guy I bought this from was about 6'4 and 215 pounds or so.. but i suspect that he would say that ride was stiff as well. I also have the stock rear adjustable shock. I wonder what is the opinion of the stock rear shock?

I can live with it the way it is. but on longer trips it would be nice to not feel every single crack in the road. so.. should I put in the stock shock? I think I just talked my self into it.

anyway.. what is the quality like? can i count on it to have no problems for the for 50k? or are they crap? also, how are they on dirt/gravel and rocky roads? lots of those here in tucson :)
The stock shock is not very good to start with and gets worse as the miles add up. If the Penske has a compression adjuster (I can't remember if the sport shock does or not, if so will be on the top of the shock) back it off all the way.
On the fork, set the emulator springs to one turn, and go to 10w fork oil. If that's still a little harsh then go to 7.5w.
A 0.90 spring would be a little better, but there's very little difference in feel between the 0.90s and 0.95s. Try the emulator and oil adjustments first.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
If that doesn't do the trick, go for lighter springs. .95kg is too much for your weight. The shock springs should be changed too and probably the damping to match. You have much better components than stock but they need to be matched to you.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Suspension changes.

I think you should try the O.E.M. suspension first and keep the emulators as already mentioned. I don't believe the standard shock is as bad as sometimes claimed. For normal use and PROPERLY tuned, it is quite satisfactory. Why spend big dollars for normal riding. It is I believe, sometimes just fashionable to have trick suspension. If you ride hard i.e. sporting, then you should consider upgrading.
The standard springs are O.K. for your stated weight

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
the problem is u dont want what condition the rear stock shock is in... The stock wee shock is okay for solo without lugguage with your weight. - i would try that first. If it's not too bad and u dont want to spend more - leave at that. If u are not bottoming out, perhaps get someone to do a revalve job on the stock - shouldnt cost that much. Or maybe the better option is to have the rear spring changed to suit u and do a revalve job with the penske shock - might not cost that much either

Front 0.95kg spring is way too stiff for your weight - even at 0.90kg spring i fear it would be on the firm side ( i am 200lbs and only use 0.90kg spring) - perhaps a 0.85kg provides a good balance between sporty and compliance over bumps. Rich Desmond will be glad to sell you some of fine spring for not much money.

Beyond that, spend a bit of time playing with fork oil and emulator setting to get it close to what u want.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It can't hurt to try the stock components. You will either like them or appreciate the aftermarket stuff more.

The best solution is to get the aftermarket stuff customized for your weight.

If you don't want to do that you could always get a pretty good amount of money for that stuff on this website.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Suspension changes.

Does it have a damping adjustment? That will make a huge difference.
Sure does. It's a small slot at the base of the shock that has a + and- stamped. For your weight I suggest a starting point as:
Set the damping halfway; turn all the way to the left then count all the way to the right. Set halfway as a start. Then I would suggest for your weight, you turn the pre-load adjuster black knob so as to see 2 l/2 rings near the top of the shock. This is a starting point. Change one at a time or you will never know where you are with adjustments.
It will take days of adjusting and testing before you find the good spot. Testing over the same piece of road will be the best way to feel differences.
These suggestions are for the original O.E.M. shock only. I don't know the heavier shock so can't offer suggestions for it.
Slow and steady you can't rush it.

Good luck, ride safe.

S.5

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you aren't happy with adjusting the OEM shock, contact Sasquatch up in Boise to have him rebuild it for you. His work is top quality and I've been very happy with mine.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The OEM shock has rebound (extending) damping adjustment only. No adjustments for compression damping.

I'm fully in agreement with Rich Desmond (with Rich's great wealth of experience and my very limited experience) about tuning the aftermarket suspension components to fit the new rider's weight and riding style. Anyone who has upgraded one end of their bike's suspension feels the limitations of the other end.

Can the shock spring rate be identified by the spring wire diameter or by the number of coils?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Sure does. ... These suggestions are for the original O.E.M. shock only.
My question was to the O.P. about his aftermarket shock. Sorry, I should have quoted it first. I'm sure he knows (as do we) that the OEM unit has this adjustment. :beatnik:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
If ya know who made the components, I would give em a holler and see what they suggest. You may be able to dial it in, or the will have an easy swap of some of the less expensive components, also consider the bike fully loaded for a long trip, the added weight may offset the uncomforatble ride you experience for now.
Perhaps a lighter weight fork oil would help, but hten the machine will be out of balance if ya just tweak the front end.
I would not work my way backwards to the stock components, it may cost a little, but it will be well worth it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts