StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, thanks for the great advice so far, I love riding gravel roads, planning to do one this weekend thats really rocky, I normally ride with my back setting on the highest, would it make handeling better if I set it a few clicks down for gravel?

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
"back setting".......

Hi all, thanks for the great advice so far, I love riding gravel roads, planning to do one this weekend thats really rocky, I normally ride with my back setting on the highest, would it make handeling better if I set it a few clicks down for gravel?

No mention of your weight of riding ability, or what "back setting" you are referring to. Typically, you will want softer suspension when riding off pavement. Why don't you try different "back settings" and report back how they worked for you.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Surface doesn't matter in setting preload. Setting the preload to a 40mm drop between full extension and fully loaded compression front and back is a good setting for all V-Stroms. Preload doesn't make the suspension softer or stiffer. That is purely a function of spring and damping rates. Preload only adjusts the sag or ride height.

The Science and Black Magic of Suspension Setup
Suspension Adjustment

·
Registered
346 Posts
If I'm running washboard roads for long, I run my rear shock damper adjustment all the way out. Seems to help, especially going uphill. With it in the middle(my street setting), the rear tire will skim over the ridges of the uphill washboard and it literally feels like the bike is being velcroed in place and loses all forward momentum instantly.

Drop tire pressure down to 15-18lbs for riding 100% dirt and it'll hook up and ride much better.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
That's a sign of excessive rebound damping. Try dialing back the shock rebound adjustment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love offroad, I actually have the wrong bike (dl1000), but she has impressed me so far, the back dial was stuck so I just kept it at the highest setting. We did some roads where there was no roads at all, very rocky, if you use your legs and stand to absorb some of the shock the bike handles quite well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts