StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished the suspension upgrades to my Vee over the weekend and was able to take her out for a short ride to see how things felt. I'll update this thread once I've had some more seat time and experienced a wider variety of road conditions for a better evaluation.

The bike feels a lot more planted now and doesn't dive or porpoise when going over undulations in the road like it did before. Riding over some bumpier sections of pavement, I didn't notice a significantly harsher ride, but I could tell that things were firmer than before. Firm application of the brakes has significantly less front-end dive than before.

The rear shock is a nice improvement over the stocker, with a better spring rate and better damping to keep the rear end in line. I set the rebound damping at 3 (out of 5) and it seems like a pretty good fit for the riding I was doing. For the forks, I've simply put in a higher spring rate (.95kg/mm) with springs from Race Tech and 10wt fork oil from Motul. For budgetary reasons, I have held off on the gold valves for the time being. Sag is set at ~40mm front and rear.

It's hard to get a shot of the shock installed in the bike, but here's one of the RAP adjuster hiding in the passenger peg mount and the old shock in the foreground:

And here's a closeup of the top of the shock from the bike's left side:

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
465 data sheet is wrong

The 465 is s very nice and cost-effective upgrade that provides a greatly improved ride. However, its stock spring is just barely adequate for 2-up riding with camping gear, at the bike's maximum carrying capacity.

Further, the data sheet says that the minimum spring length, with the 01-1004 spring, is 7.52", which leaves no room at all for any preload adjustment with the lock ring. It's already at that length with the ring fully backed out.

I contacted Progressive about that last July, and got a reply from Justin Barber. He said that the minimum spring length for this application is 7.40, and that they would change their install instructions to that effect.

Have the instructions been updated?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 465 is s very nice and cost-effective upgrade that provides a greatly improved ride. However, its stock spring is just barely adequate for 2-up riding with camping gear, at the bike's maximum carrying capacity.

Further, the data sheet says that the minimum spring length, with the 01-1004 spring, is 7.52", which leaves no room at all for any preload adjustment with the lock ring. It's already at that length with the ring fully backed out.

I contacted Progressive about that last July, and got a reply from Justin Barber. He said that the minimum spring length for this application is 7.40, and that they would change their install instructions to that effect.

Have the instructions been updated?
I'll have to double check when I get home, as the minimum spring length is something I overlooked when I was setting the sag. I spun the locking collar down several threads in addition to upping the preload on the RAP in order to get to 40mm sag. I assume that having less than 7.40" of spring length could result in the spring being fully compressed before the suspension hits the end of it's stroke? That'd be a bummer...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the late response, dtalk. I checked the literature that came with my shock and it still has the 'old' information printed on it. "The installed spring length must never be set shorter than 7.52 inches"

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally took the Vee out for a proper suspension shakedown today up one of my favorite local twisty roads. I'm quite pleased with the new shock and fork springs, they definitely make the bike handle the way it ought to. It's much more planted in turns now and doesn't feel like a pogo stick after going over a dip in the road.

I let my friend ride it for a bit who has a stock-suspended Vee and he said it feels like a completely different bike, echoing my statements above. I think it's pretty hard to beat the progressive rear shock for the money, and I have to give another shout out to Blair at SV Racing parts for his advice on the fork springs.

Cheers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Can you get a close up picture of the RAP mounting point? I just received my spring and the mounting for the RAP looks wrong. It didn't come with any extra brackets. mt RAP has a flat side with four pre-drilled holes in the corners (not all the way through).

In no way does it look like it mounts in the factory area unless I am missing an extra bracket. Did they ship a wrong shock or miss putting an adapter bracket of some kind in the box?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I installed the same shock about a month ago. I like the improvement, but a couple of days ago I noticed a metallic click/clunk coming from the area of the shock. Getting off the bike and looking at it, I can see that the bottom of the shock is able to move slightly left/right on the lower mount, even with the bolt torqued properly. With my hand I can push the bottom of the shock and the bushing slightly left/right.

The OEM shock allows the same movement at the bottom, but the difference seems to be with the design of the eye-bolt at the top. When the top mounting bolt is inserted into the OEM eye-bolt, it doesn't allow the top of the shock to pivot at all. The Progressive design allows the top of the shock to swivel somewhat on the mounting bolt. I figure it's this movement at the top that's causing the bottom of the shock to move and clunck. The OEM shock never made that noise.

It's the worst when I accelerate from a stop. Lot's of uncomfortable sounding metallic clicks/clunks...

I don't know what to do about this, so I'll call Progressive tomorrow and hopefully they have an answer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can you get a close up picture of the RAP mounting point? I just received my spring and the mounting for the RAP looks wrong. It didn't come with any extra brackets. mt RAP has a flat side with four pre-drilled holes in the corners (not all the way through).

In no way does it look like it mounts in the factory area unless I am missing an extra bracket. Did they ship a wrong shock or miss putting an adapter bracket of some kind in the box?
They didn't ship you the bracket. There is a bracket that mounts to the 4 holes, then allows the RAP to be bolted in the same place the OEM unit was located.

·
Registered
72 Posts
They didn't ship you the bracket. There is a bracket that mounts to the 4 holes, then allows the RAP to be bolted in the same place the OEM unit was located.

Actually, I'm an idiot and didn't take apart all the folded cardboard the shock was packed with. I found the bracket, luckily, before disposal of the box.

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
Actually, I'm an idiot and didn't take apart all the folded cardboard the shock was packed with. I found the bracket, luckily, before disposal of the box.
If you still need photos, holler. I think I might have some from my 465 installation.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I installed the same shock about a month ago. I like the improvement, but a couple of days ago I noticed a metallic click/clunk coming from the area of the shock. Getting off the bike and looking at it, I can see that the bottom of the shock is able to move slightly left/right on the lower mount, even with the bolt torqued properly. With my hand I can push the bottom of the shock and the bushing slightly left/right.

The OEM shock allows the same movement at the bottom, but the difference seems to be with the design of the eye-bolt at the top. When the top mounting bolt is inserted into the OEM eye-bolt, it doesn't allow the top of the shock to pivot at all. The Progressive design allows the top of the shock to swivel somewhat on the mounting bolt. I figure it's this movement at the top that's causing the bottom of the shock to move and clunck. The OEM shock never made that noise.

It's the worst when I accelerate from a stop. Lot's of uncomfortable sounding metallic clicks/clunks...

I don't know what to do about this, so I'll call Progressive tomorrow and hopefully they have an answer.
Did you install the metal bushings with the o-rings? Mine came with two metal bushings and rubber o-rings that inserted into the pillowball eyelet at the top of the shock. If you didn't install those, you'll get a lot more play than is intended.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you still need photos, holler. I think I might have some from my 465 installation.

Thanks. I think I have it. Right now I am soaking the lower dog bone bolt and nut in WD-40. I couldn't break it even with a breaker bar and damn near rounded off the bolt side. I'll pick up an impact wrench tomorrow and give that a try after the WD-40 has penetrated.

I hope I am right as the nut on the right side is larger than the bolt on the left (14 mm and 17mm I believe).

Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, they are both installed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I'm surprised that you're getting play at the top of the shock then. Mine was a very tight fit getting the shock into place with those bushings installed, I don't feel any slop there. The representatives at Progressive were pretty quick to respond when I had some technical questions for them. You should shoot them an email to see what advice they might have.

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
Thanks. I think I have it. Right now I am soaking the lower dog bone bolt and nut in WD-40. I couldn't break it even with a breaker bar and damn near rounded off the bolt side. I'll pick up an impact wrench tomorrow and give that a try after the WD-40 has penetrated.

I hope I am right as the nut on the right side is larger than the bolt on the left (14 mm and 17mm I believe).

Anyone else have this issue?
Mine where boogers to break loose too. I had to switch to a 1/2 drive breaker bar and really put my back into it. With hindsight, probably should have tried some heat on the bolt/nut.

And yes the bolt head (left side) is 14mm and the nut (right side) is 17mm on mine.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Are you sure it doesnt have to do with the chain. When mine was going bad, it made all kinds of similar sounds. Just a thought.....:confused:

I've never had a shock make that kind of sound. Double check to make sure all your links under the shock are also correct.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have aftermarket links that raise the bike one inch (I am a tall guy). The Progressive guy (who has been very responsive so far) thinks that this change is causing the lower rear springs on the shock to impact the swingarm.

If this is the case I don't know why I didn't hear it sooner. I guess I will have to put the OEM links back on and see if that fixes it. I hate to lose the ground clearance though. I definitely ride off road.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have aftermarket links that raise the bike one inch (I am a tall guy). The Progressive guy (who has been very responsive so far) thinks that this change is causing the lower rear springs on the shock to impact the swingarm.

If this is the case I don't know why I didn't hear it sooner. I guess I will have to put the OEM links back on and see if that fixes it. I hate to lose the ground clearance though. I definitely ride off road.

Let me know what you find on this, I have the same set up and was looking into the 465 install.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It looks like the raising links were the problem. I installed the OEM links and experienced none of the noise to or from work today.

I believe the place where I got my 1" raise link also has a 1/2" link. I might try those to get some clearance back. Although the Progressive shock helps ground clearance too: I weigh 220, and the thrashed OEM shock would drop a lot just from sitting on the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
It looks like the raising links were the problem. I installed the OEM links and experienced none of the noise to or from work today.

I believe the place where I got my 1" raise link also has a 1/2" link. I might try those to get some clearance back. Although the Progressive shock helps ground clearance too: I weigh 220, and the thrashed OEM shock would drop a lot just from sitting on the bike.

Interesting. Were able to determine where it was hitting for sure?

If you need dogbones, contact Rick at Adventure Tech (AdventureTech, LLC. - Home) he offers several different lengths of raising links.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts