Strom Trooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello new to me 06 650- I purchased front and rear springs but ran into an issue: when I removes the rear shock it appears that upgraded spring is much larger in diameter than stock- is there an adapter I need? How do you disassemble shock?- all i see is the tiny 1.5mm setscrew on preload assembly- looks like it was about to snap off when i compressed the spring last night and put an allen key on it... help would be appreciated. Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
That spring will not work I think. Talk to a reputable suspension guy. Best is to send the original shock out to get it refurbished and re-sprung.

Since you have not filled in your profile difficult to suggest where to send it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I took a screenshot from a progressive suspension shock install on a vstrom : it appears similar in size compared to stock:
To my eyes, in the Progressive photo, the new spring looks too large for the stock shock.The Progressive spring appears to be specific to a Progressive shock, and doubtful it will fit the stock shock

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great thanks everybody who pitched in- really appreciate your help- I have reached out to the seller and he will accept a return and refund.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For now I serviced the forks and will save up for upgraded springs up front and a better shock on rear.
Ive owned the bike for a week and so far due to weather I figured might as well throw some parts on it and get off to a good start.
Battery
Tires (avon trailrider)
Air filter
Spark plugs
Wheel bearings
Oil change
Added a USB plug on front
Wire up an accessory circuit through a relay
New working Heated grips
I bought the bike lowered as well so I got a stock seat and replaced lowering links with oem units.
So far coming off a KLR 650 this bike is great- Cant wait to actually ride it haha😀

Attachments

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
OK, you being in Canada, there may be a shop closer so there is less shipping cost. Ask specifically the Canadian inmates, they will know.

Just saw this one: https://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/423421-ricor-intiminators-wee.html

I had them in my fork 2004WEE. Made a big difference with stock springs. If you get them ask for the spacers. They need different length spacers to account for the drop in cartridge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congrats on the bike. I went from a 96 KLR to an 06 Vstrom and couldn't be happier. As far as compressing the spring, easiest way is to get a car spring compressor - auto parts stores often loan these out (not sure if they do that in Canada). I've done it the hard way by wrapping a ratchet strap through both sides of the spring and tightening it up - it's not elegant, but it works. I've also seen people build elaborate spring compressing devices using would and long pieces of all-thread, bolts and wood. Basically making a hole in the top and bottom piece of wood to fit the shock and putting an all-thread through holes in the wood on either side with washers and bolts to tighten it all down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts