1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 250lbs on a 2014 vstrom 1000
I want to put stiffer from springs in the forks and a stiffer on the rear shock
I just finished the Idaho BDR and was bottoming out hard on occasion
The bikes stock with a 70lb fork spring im thinking a 90 or 100lb spring and really don't know for the rear shock
Any comments or brand suggestions

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Any local suspension shop can put in higher rate springs. I'd contact Rich at Sonic Springs for his recommendation for fork springs. Changing the spring in inverted forks takes special tooling and knowledge.

Did you have the sag set for your loaded riding weight? You want about 40 mm of sag...suspension travel from wheel-in-the-air to you on the bike in your riding gear. This is set by the preload adjusters. Because you were bottoming out, and you're 250#, I'd have the preload set to the max. If you still hit bottom, yes new springs are needed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome thanks for the reply
I sent them a message after checking out their web site to see how long the turn around time would be
We have a local shop working on a 21in front tire mod and also has a mod to increase ground clearance by 1in so if I could get the suspension dial the wife would never see me

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep I'm set to max
It's a 14 but I just bought it new outta the shop 2 months ago and right I away I took off to a dirt road with my screw driver and looped the road playing with the rebound and preload
I seemed to be okay with out luggage but this trip we just did was rough and we put the bike to the test fully loaded

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bummer I just went thru Boise I would of stopped on my way home from riding the Idaho BDR

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Do your research on the 21"...some were happy, others miserable. More travel with what you have is always good, but a really good skid plate just takes the hits and keeps on truckin. I have the Happy Trails skid plate which is heavy duty.

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
Sasquatch rebuilt mine in a couple days and helped me install it at a camp out the next day!
I'd call that good service. A bargain price too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts