StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Details my man, details!!! :)

Is it length adjustable? What spring rate, and how did that compare to stock? Both compression and rebound adjustment? Price? Lead time? i'm assuming the thingy at the end of the hose is a preload adjuster and not an external reservoir?

I think that covers it. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
It's length adjustable and yes that's the preload adjuster. I almost bought the same model and believe this is rebound damoing adjustable.

Big question Josh is how much do you weight and what spring rate did they estimate for your weight?.

And PS, mind if I ask what past of canada you're in.

One last PS. real easy to get shock in and out if you have sender stand. Unbuckle top mount and lower mount, move lower linkage out of the way. Lift the shock straight up, then angle the lower section tip and rearward and pull out between finer and wheel horizontally. Once you get the hang of it, it's a 40 minute job.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the ADV R2 - seemed the right choice (middle of the road) for my application (mostly street - often 2-up and loaded)

It's remote hydraulic preload, and combined compression adjustable (bottom of shock). About a month from order to doorstep - about $1300 all in.

MotoCanada - Nitron calculates the spring rate based on supplied info, but I read through your posts (and your reply to my earlier thread) and wanted to confirm rate before build. You suggested 700lbs and that is exactly what they recommended, based on:
  • me = 235 with gear
  • pillion = 150 with gear
  • hard luggage and tank bag and sometimes loaded with gear
  • mostly street riding
Thanks for the advice on removing the shock - there isn't a lot out there to read/watch. Are you saying it's literally two bolts and then some wrangling? I'm all for that.

I'm in Vancouver.

It's length adjustable and yes that's the preload adjuster. I almost bought the same model and believe this is rebound damoing adjustable.

Big question Josh is how much do you weight and what spring rate did they estimate for your weight?.

And PS, mind if I ask what past of canada you're in.

One last PS. real easy to get shock in and out if you have sender stand. Unbuckle top mount and lower mount, move lower linkage out of the way. Lift the shock straight up, then angle the lower section tip and rearward and pull out between finer and wheel horizontally. Once you get the hang of it, it's a 40 minute job.

·
Registered
15,062 Posts
Zowie, you could have Sasquatch rebuild your stock shock to your specs 4 times for that $1300 price.
I got a Ohlins shock at dealer price once way back. I paid $475. New shocks are neat to admire though.
My rebuilt was just as nice when I put it on.'
Unless you have some bolts fighting you, it really is an easy task to change out. Having a floor jack or an extra pair of hands to help lift the swing arm up would be nice.
Depending on mileage putting new bearings in the shock linkage might be advisable. I know at `100K miles the needle bearings are trashed but I haven't ordered up a set yet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah - pricey for sure, BUT, remember that's $1300 Canadian loonies, so that is closer to $900 USD.

I thought about a Sasquatch rebuild, but with the whole COVID cross-border thing, not wanting to be without a shock for the meantime, and the ease of just getting it delivered to the house, I bought my way out of those inconveniences. Sometimes that's just what you have to do.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
David & Josh, if I had to guess Josh lives in Burkeville, a company town Boeing built beside YVR way back in the war years. I have a couple of friends who live there. Lots of YVR workers live there - or did.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
David & Josh, if I had to guess Josh lives in Burkeville, a company town Boeing built beside YVR way back in the war years. I have a couple of friends who live there. Lots of YVR workers live there - or did.
Nailed it. It’s a rapidly changing neighbourhood. Been here for 22 years now.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Man, this stuff has gotten expensive. I paid about CAD$1,100 for my Elka shock (remote preload, rebound,external reservoir with high and low speed compression).
But then that was 15 years ago or so, lol.

Sweet shock, I bet it's a big improvement over the stock one, both in terms of spring rate and in terms of damping.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I don't know about the 1000 but my 650 shock was a bit of a puzzle to get the preload adjuster past the ABS module. I found it was easier to remove the adjuster knob but be careful, there is a little ball bearing behind the knob. It has a spring behind it and is the detent for the knob.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Zowie, you could have Sasquatch rebuild your stock shock to your specs 4 times for that $1300 price.
I got a Ohlins shock at dealer price once way back. I paid $475. New shocks are neat to admire though.
My rebuilt was just as nice when I put it on.'...
Rebuilt stock stocks are cost effective, but still nowhere near as good as a quality aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Josh. yes top bolt removal will need lots of extenders as both eh nut and the bolt head are buried deep in there. Lower bolt has more access, though you might have too loosen one link bolt to swing lints out of the way. Do the bottom first and then have someone hold the shock or the wrap it as you undo top. Then lift the top up and forward as much as possible, then bottom up and rear wards and slide it out semi horizontally.

The first time I tried it trying to get it out the bottom and other ways took forever and then when I lifted up and then swing it's like it fell out on its own it seemed so easy. I have a 2018 1000 XT so I think should be similar.

Glad to hear my estimates were close. Some people were saying 800 for some weights but that would be huge

Ione last thing as I said in my missives, if you can (and you may need a little help from a suspension expert with tools to accomplish this, try to get your rider only sag (somewhere around 48 mm if memory serves) with zero preload from the hydraulic adjuster.

By that I mean put the shock in, get your sag right with the hydraulic adjuster. Then take the shock off and see how much (in mm) of preload you've added to get your base rider sag right. Then take the shock to a suspension expert, get them to take off spring and reset the collar (that has the preload adjuster built in) so that you have the require preload without using the hydraulic preload. That way you have all the preload adjustment left for when passenger and baggage are added rather than already having used up half of it just getting it right for you alone.

Bit if a pain. It requires installation once, then removal and then — if you don't have a spring compressor — going to a shop (don;t worry it's a five minute procedure at the shop). But it's worth it. And convenient. I don't have to count clicks when I am changing situation. I know that when my hydraulic is completely wound out, it's perfect for me. When the wife climbs onboard with luggage, I wind it all the way up. In both cases, I am within 2 mm of each other in loaded sag. That's the whole point of preload.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Rebuilt stock stocks are cost effective, but still nowhere near as good as a quality aftermarket unit.
Have you ever ridden on a bike with a Sasquatch rebuilt/modded stock shock? I have... I also have a Touratech shock on my Tenere... The Sasquatch modded Strom shock was just as nice as the TT Tenere shock....mabe even better.

Yes...I kno its Strom to a Ten comparo...but Im jus talkin bout the way the shock responds mainly.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nobody knows how a particular shock will work on a particular bike with a particular rider. It sounds like everyone who does something is getting a serious upgrade.

Took mine out last night and it's fantastic. That said, the real test will come when the bike is fully loaded. It's amazing how something can feel firmer but totally not harsh.

I set the sag (for just me) and I'm three clicks off zero, with WAY more to go for the heavy loads.

·
Vendor
5,161 Posts
I believe the Progressive Suspension rear shock offers similar quality at a lower price. All those who have purchased them from us have loved them. Seriously high quality, but we discount the price, and the price is seriously less than the Nitron shock I just priced out for a DL650.

I should probably advertise more.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm super happy with it.

For those saying, "<insert solution> is just as good for cheaper"… nobody knows. I don't think there are many (if any) Nitrons installed on VStroms yet.

I'm never going to claim that Nitron is the best until I've ridden them all, which obviously will never happen. What I CAN report, is that this thing is some seriously sexy machining and quality. Their communication was top-notch, and installation was a breeze. It was custom built for me and (though too early for a final verdict) I would probably buy it again.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Have you ever ridden on a bike with a Sasquatch rebuilt/modded stock shock? I have... I also have a Touratech shock on my Tenere... The Sasquatch modded Strom shock was just as nice as the TT Tenere shock....mabe even better.

Yes...I kno its Strom to a Ten comparo...but Im jus talkin bout the way the shock responds mainly.

Not one of his specifically, but others re-worked by competent people. Huge improvement over stock, for sure, but not as good a quality aftermarket shock.

IMO, and all that. :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mabe some of the aftermkt shocks with both rebound & comp damping adj along with remote preload.
Im going on memory since the Strom shock I rode on was several years ago. But I also trust the info about stock build quality vs aftmkt that Sasquatch (Jay) gave me. He has these suspension pieces apart on a daily basis.
Also rebuilt a Wilbers for me. Only reason I bought that shock over modding the stock 650 shock..was that it was supposedly rebuilt by the prev owner...& reasonably priced around $350
Owner.. who said he was a suspension guru....well...
If it was rebuilt...it was a crap job
Sasquatch fixed it correctly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts