StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have been following my blown engine thread they will know that I was about to take a look at my suspension as a "once over" on my K4 wee. I bought the bike used, and I have no idea what the previous owner might have done with the suspension. I took the springs out, and they don't appear to me to be stock (Not that I would know). Here are two pictures. Can anyone identify these springs? One has what appears to be a "90" stamped on it, which leads me to believe they are in fact .90 springs.

Is there a way to see if emulators are installed without draining the oil? I want to ride tomorrow and don't have any fork oil available.

Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B86ExAE1lui7MENNR2g4cVBRU0dUaVh1T3JSNnNnQQ

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B86ExAE1lui7dkpPTi13RVpSaXV1RFotekQxR3VrZw

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, I forgot to mention. The spacer is PVC pipe. I was expecting metal? And there is no washer under the spring where the emulator may be. I sent a long magnet down and it came up empty.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Does the other end of the spring look the same way?
If not, then I'd suspect someone has cut them to make them stiffer and advise you to buy some new springs.
Tuning a suspension with an unknown spring rate is so frustrating, time consuming and expensive that it's not even worthwhile.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have been reading a lot about suspension, but am by no means an expert, so this is a guess at best, but the PVC spacer may suggest Sonic spring upgrade. They are definitely not the standard springs which are progressive so do not have consistent gaps throughout.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
If they're 425mm long they're ours.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You have a linear rate spring, 0.90 kg/mm as you suspect. As others have mentioned, the PVC could mean it comes from Sonic Springs, but others use PVC as well for the spacer. Nothing wrong with that, I've ridden with Sonic Springs for over 55,000 miles now. I prefer the linear rate spring for better feel under braking (less dive initially). Since you pulled the spring out, you may want to add a few ml of oil to make up for what was lost when you pulled the spring out. I doubt you will find an emulator in the fork leg.

Steve

·
Registered
470 Posts
Is there a way to see if emulators are installed without draining the oil?
Find something long and thin, like a straightened out coat hanger.

If there are no emulators you will be able to insert that wire for nearly the full length of the forks. If there are emulators in there then the wire will be stopped about 6" short from the length of the forks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If they're 425mm long they're ours.
They are in fact 425 mm long. Thank you. I guess you can disregard that email I sent you about shipping springs to Canada. That was a pleasant surprise. Now I'm going to see if there are emulators in there.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
They are in fact 425 mm long. Thank you. I guess you can disregard that email I sent you about shipping springs to Canada. That was a pleasant surprise. Now I'm going to see if there are emulators in there.
Excellent, nice when things work out for you that way. :)
If you need setup info shoot me an email.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts