StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick suspension question, sorry if it has been covered before.

Stock setup on the 1000 Strom ABS seems pretty harsh, more like a sportsbike set up than an ADV bike. So much so that under heavier braking on uneven surfaces the front wheel feels like it's "skipping" & the ABS kicks in on all but poker smooth roads.
I will be softening up the rear preload along with the front preload anyway but I can also adjust the damping too which I believe should cure this issue? Am I correct?
If this is correct will I need to wind out/soften the front or rear damping/rebound too?

I will also let a couple of PSI out of tyres as 36/42 again feels a bit much.

Thanks in advance

PS I'm not hugely technically minded so please don't baffle me with science :thumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
The most important is the SAG, normally bethween 35-45 mm front and rear. Too much soft on the front axle fork causes non desireable dive on hard braking. Vstrom is more oriented to a Sport Touring bike than an Adventure bike, with soft suspensions like the KTM 1090 for example.

But, if you want softer suspension, firstly is to low the pre-load front and rear, and after, put the damping proportionally softer too.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Preload is about sag or ride height. Unless you are topping or bottoming out, changing preload will do nothing for your ride quality. Work with damping settings to get the ride quality more in line with what you want but you may be expecting too much. Heavy braking on uneven surfaces will cause what you describe as traction is lost in dips. Just stay on the brakes and let the ABS work. Bikes have a much worse sprung/unsprung weight ratios than cars.

Suspension Adjustment

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks greywolf, maybe I'm not giving Suzuki enough credit.
They obviously set the bike up as standard from the factory to be the best of both worlds & maybe what I'm experiencing is just how it is & will get used to it (only covered 2.5k miles so far).
I'm guessing most folk never even touch or adjust their supervision anyway......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts