StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fixing up a K2 Vee with 47K miles on it. What should I know about suspension? I know everyone talks about replacing the front fork springs and upgrade the rear suspension, but I am more concerned about knowing/testing what I have to know if I have a problem already or going to happen.

Personally, I don't feel any major issues on the suspension, sure maybe a little bit of dive on the front when I brake hard, but generally the bike handles anything (paved) well as far as I can tell.

How would I know the condition of the forks? Fork Oil? etc. It's not like there is a sight glass.....so any tricks or basic maintenance tricks short of pulling them off the bike completely, enlighten me please.

Thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
You are right, there is no sight glass or anything else to give you a visual clue as to the condition of the fork oil. I'd guess that if the forks were never serviced, they are way past due for fresh oil. Based on my experience with the Vee's suspension, so are the springs and shock, but that is relatively easy to measure - The Science and Black Magic of Suspension Setup.

If you can set the sag correctly, you can probably keep the existing springs. My K2 had sacked springs well before it hit the 20K mark, so I'm not counting on it, but you never know. Figuring out the damping action is less obvious and requires either a good feel when you are bouncing the suspension up/down or a good test ride that will reveal if it works as you'd expect it or not.

If the springs are good, just flush and replace the fork oil. If they are not, go talk to Rich at Sonic Springs. The rear shock is not serviceable (at least not without access to specialized tools and knowledge). Your best bet if it is toast is to go for an aftermarket solution. You don't have to buy a $1K O'hlins to get a good shock, but I'd recommend you buy something with remote pre-load, as getting to the pre-load adjustment on a Vee w/o it is a real pain.

Gustavo

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I am fixing up a K2 Vee with 47K miles on it. What should I know about suspension? I know everyone talks about replacing the front fork springs and upgrade the rear suspension, but I am more concerned about knowing/testing what I have to know if I have a problem already or going to happen.

Personally, I don't feel any major issues on the suspension, sure maybe a little bit of dive on the front when I brake hard, but generally the bike handles anything (paved) well as far as I can tell.

How would I know the condition of the forks? Fork Oil? etc. It's not like there is a sight glass.....so any tricks or basic maintenance tricks short of pulling them off the bike completely, enlighten me please.

Thanks!
At 47k the fork oil is way, way past due if it's never been changed (and most people don't change it). Fork sliders/bushings likely need replacement too.
Only way to tell is to take the fork apart. Not a hard job, looks tougher than it is.

How the bike seems to handle is going to be a function of your personal preferences and riding style, and what you're used to. Just came off of an 1989 Goldwing? The Vee is going to feel incredible sharp and lithe. Last bike was an 2012 R6? It will feel like a flaccid, wallowing pig. :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Flaccid, wallowing pig. :fineprint:
Takes a lot more body english to get it through the S's than my ZX9.
It's a pig, but I've adapted (been assimilated?) :green_lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts