StromTrooper banner

Suspension Mods?

2882 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Cake_Kat
I'm planning another ADV ride to Nome. Last year it was down to Panama.

Is there some sensible modification to suspension for better dirt road riding? The bike rattles pretty bad and vibrated my trailing TB boot off on two occasions while in C.A. Love to smooth it out especially on the wash boards.

Thanks
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3,864 Posts
What modifications have you already done, about how much do you weigh, and how fast do you like to go?

I'd suggest talking to Suspensions by Sasquatch:
Suspensions By Sasquatch - Boise, Idaho

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
The throttle body boot normally gets blown of by a backfire. I highly doubt the suspension is involved. It's a whoosh rather than a bang so can go unnoticed. DL650s ride the same kind of roads but don't blow their boots. It's the ultra lean DL1000s that pop them.

· Registered
237 Posts
I didn't say you couldn't improve the DL1000 or that it couldn't handle adventure rides, it's just not a purposely built for the task. It will will still come up short in suspension travel and lack the agility of the big KTM.

· Registered
7,576 Posts
Front--
--Spring to match your loaded riding weight
--Fork oil viscosity that works best for you
--RaceTech Gold Valves for compression and rebound.

Rear--
--Spring to match your loaded riding weight
--Shock upgrade from Sasquatch
--New shock from Progressive Suspension, or Elka (cost savings from single compression damping and manual preload adjuster), Wilbers, Öhlins, Hyperpro.

Items in italics are highly recommended minimum upgrades.

· Registered
1,653 Posts
Have a fun time finding and paying for those KTM parts. They ride great but they break expensive. There is also no way the DL fully modded comes to the price of a bare bones Adventure 950/990. Even used they are still running in the 10 grand range.

· Registered
1,653 Posts

· Registered
237 Posts
Nice find.....that will make someone happy. But compare apples to apples. Here is the same in a DL1000 http://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/65377-2007-dl-1000-blue.html. It may not have all the bags and racks. But for a $3000 in savings you will have a bike that will have a good suspension for $1000 and can also get used bags for $500 and still put $1500 into your pocket. The service intervals will be longer and cheaper.
No bags, no engine bars, no bash plate, and no suspension upgrades. I'd put the price of bags at $1000 for the Jesse Odyssey II side bags, $450 Odyssey top box. $1000 in suspension upgrades and $500 for the misc. others. You would have a very nice touring bike that will hold up well to gravel roads and light off track riding. It will arguably more comfortable that a KTM and it may last longer and will cost less to maintain. But... it will still not compare to the full blown adventure bike that the KTM is because it will lack the purpose built design of the Adventure.

This is my opinion and I really like my DL1000.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.