StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Because I'm a bit of a miser and definitely not a wrench (oils changes & chain adjustments excluded), I waited until the bike had 35K miles to upgrade the suspension.

Oh my gawd!!! Why did I wait soooo long? "Oh...so this is what a bike is supposed to feel like" I told John at Jett Tuning. The bike is on rails and responds with excellent feedback. I can actually sense when the front tire is about to lock there's so much feel. And cornering? No more mush - just firm, confident and compliant!

Race Tech 1.0kg springs w/7.5wt in front and a new Race Tech spring on the rebuilt shock transformed the bike into something I never knew existed. Anybody with the same aforementioned disability I have that lives within a days ride of Camarillo, California should see him. He also created my Dyno map on pg 22 or 23 of the PCIII thread. Still smooth as butter from idle to red line!

Disclaimer: I'm not associated with his company nor am I getting any kick back nor do I ever write letters of praise. I'm just a gawd damn happy customer with a better than BRAND NEW '05 DL1K!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sometimes that's all it takes. I know a forkbrace made a huge difference in the front end of my bike.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hey Exleper,

I saw your bike being worked on Friday. I was at Jett Tune to have John dyno my bike and create a map for me.

He told me a about the work they were doing to it.

Which skid plate is that? I liked it. Also, which fork brace? Is that the Superbrace or another?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Dan,

Fork Brace: KB Fork Brace for Your V-Strom
(I don't remember it being that much but there are others.)

Skid plate: Adventure MotoStuff Aluminum Engine Protector V2.0 -Suzuki DL650/1000 V-Strom

First off, I can't say enough about John. I've tried all the shops in lower Ventura county (T.O. and beyond is just too damn far for Ojai) and his is the best. He's even repaired work on the wife's Volusia Intruder that Cal Coast effed up.

Nevertheless, I bet you're enjoying the new map! Did he talk to you about plugging the pair valves? If you do, it's technically a race bike but oh so much fun!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Exleper,

Thanks for the info on the parts. That skid plate doesn't come cheap. I haven't decided if I will go for a skid plate or not as I really don't intend for hardly any off-road for this bike. The fork brace is a must in my book, just not sure which one I'll get yet.

I had already plugged my PAIR valves before going to have the tuning done. I also did the fuel pump mod prior as it dramatically affects the tuning (see my post in the PCIII Maps thread). The map he did for me is massively different than the one he did for your bike.

I agree John is a great guy to work with, very honest and straight forward. He was extremely open about the whole process. I was in the dyno room with him the whole time and he described each step of the process to me as we went through it, very cool.

I had a friend of mine who works for one of the "big 4" check around for references on this shop and he came back with a two thumbs up, they know their stuff and have a good reputation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts