StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please no yelling at my request. I recently bought a used 09 Wee. The bike came with Battle Wings. When I go over a road imperfection the feedback from the suspension is jolting. It feels like I am riding on steel tires. Yet when I stop the front end dives. Both front and rear feel the same. Any ideas or suggestions?:headbang:

·
Administrator
14,214 Posts
I would first look at the simple things.

How is tire pressure? It should be somewhere around 40 psi.

Is the suspension stock or has it been modified?

If stock:

How much do you weigh? Is the rear Pre-load turned way too high (if you are fairly light).

If pressure is okay it sounds like it is getting way too much damping. This could be a number of things but front fork oil being too thick is one possibility. Ironically too soft damping could also give a similar effect. Is there any fork oil in there?

Also, it might help us here to know what kind of bike you are used to so we can understand your expectations.

..Tom

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I'd set the cold tire pressure to the recommended 33F/36R. Start there.

The front end dive is an unfortunate normal feature of the stock strom suspension. All front suspension mods address this.

Preload sets the sag; it moves the stationary bike up or down within the suspension range to minimize the chance of either topping out or bottoming out the suspension. It is possible that you are bottoming out and need more preload. What is your loaded riding weight? How many lines show on the front preload adjusters (on the fork caps)? How many lines show on the top of the shock?

·
Administrator
18,448 Posts

The front end dive is an unfortunate normal feature of the stock strom suspension. All front suspension mods address this.

Preload sets the sag; it moves the stationary bike up or down within the suspension range to minimize the chance of either topping out or bottoming out the suspension. It is possible that you are bottoming out and need more preload. What is your loaded riding weight? How many lines show on the front preload adjusters (on the fork caps)? How many lines show on the top of the shock?
Hell no.......that is way too low. More like 40/42 psi!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

My riding weight is 230 with full gear. There are 2 lines visible on the front forks. There is one line on the top of the rear shock.

How do you check for fork oil?

My riding experience is new (after 30 years absence). I rode dirt biles in the 70-80's.

Based upon all the information on this board, I will most likey add a fork brace and progressive springs. Not sure of any rear suspension changes.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hell no.......that is way too low. More like 40/42 psi!
I agree. I've found that 33 on a front tire like the strom will do some serious cupping. I like 39/42 myself.

My riding weight is 230 with full gear. There are 2 lines visible on the front forks. There is one line on the top of the rear shock.

How do you check for fork oil?

My riding experience is new (after 30 years absence). I rode dirt biles in the 70-80's.

Based upon all the information on this board, I will most likey add a fork brace and progressive springs. Not sure of any rear suspension changes.

Hmm, have you adjusted the preload in the front/rear and seen what kind of difference it can make. In stock form, the strom soaks up the bumps pretty good. I'm 240 and I have no problems. I could use some stiffer springs and stuff, but its very comfy to ride like it is.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I agree with everyone so far. I had similar issues at first. Then I spent some time adjusting the preloads and playing with tire pressure. I'm 240 lbs geared up and I'm only about a pound or two above spec tire psi. My preload is towards the upper end, but play around and you should be able to get something you like.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Same problem with mine. I'm still in the learning curve of this suspesion thing. My front tire presssure was low. I turned my fork screws to 2 lines showing. It seems to have helped, but i have'nt taken it for a proper ride yet. I weigh about 220. I'm also use to real dual sport suspesion.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Not enough preload for your riding weight. You'll probably need a buddy to help with the adjusting.
Suspension Adjustment

The stock springs are progressive wind, and that seems to be no big advantage. Both sonic springs and racetech springs are straight wind and do very well. Sonicsprings.com has a great spring rate calculator tool and also is a friend of this site. The only way to check the fork oil is to dump the old oil, clean the dampers, and put in new oil--never a bad idea.

By the way, paid subscriptions to both stromtroopers and v-stromridersinternational is money very well spent.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks

Not enough preload for your riding weight. You'll probably need a buddy to help with the adjusting.
Suspension Adjustment

The stock springs are progressive wind, and that seems to be no big advantage. Both sonic springs and racetech springs are straight wind and do very well. Sonicsprings.com has a great spring rate calculator tool and also is a friend of this site. The only way to check the fork oil is to dump the old oil, clean the dampers, and put in new oil--never a bad idea.

By the way, paid subscriptions to both stromtroopers and v-stromridersinternational is money very well spent.
I really appreciate everyone's advice. I'm still unsure how to actually make the adustments but I do understand the principles. I have a shop manual so I think I can get the mechanical part.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just added .95 sonic springs and went with 12.5 oil. Greatly reduced dive and the ride is compliant enough. $100 project.

·
Registered
250 Posts
probly wont help much but

since I'm 145 lbs., I'm currently set at 3.5 lines showing in the front and find it to be a pretty good setting for me.

I'm used to a more aggressive quick response handling of a sport-bike so I like the front end being lower, heading into turns faster. I haven't backed off the front preload more than 3.5 lines, and would pose the question: what (uncomfortable) symptoms, besides bottoming out, might I encounter with/if the front preload set too low?

As for the rear preload, I usually have it cranked up all the way tight when I'm riding with a load and/or a passenger. It's easier to unscrew 2-4 clicks on the rear when I'm riding solo than it is to un/screw the front fork tube preload settings with a large screwdriver I may or may not be carrying around with me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts