StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2015 Vstrom XT, which is a major upgrade from my '06!

I'm thinking about adjusting my suspension and need some help. The factory settings came with a 3 on the front and 2 on the rear
I'm 160lbs and most of my riding is done on the Texas highways. Is there a chart anywhere I can look at or recommended suspension setting for my type of riding?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
This link leads to an electrical problem

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Does the same for me. As a matter of fact anytime someone posts a link it sends me to some other post that isn't related. I dont know if it's because of Tapatalk or what the reason is but it's always something on this forum when viewing from my iPhone.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just move it all over the place, depending on how I want the bike to handle at any particular time. I even find myself adjusting it at stop lights. I guess that just comes from riding dirt bikes all my life. I never stop fiddling with my suspension on any of my bikes. I wish that the fork pre-load adjusters had knobs on them.
You cannot hurt anything, so just play with it.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The preload changes the spring mounting point up or down. That's what it does. It makes the bike sit higher or lower so you, at your loaded riding weight, has about an equal chance of neither bottoming out nor topping out. Forget the factory settings unless you weight the same as the factory test rider.

For the front, put a cable tie around one inner fork tube. With the front wheel off the ground slide the tie next to the seal. Get on, get centered, giggle a bit to settle the suspension. Get off, raise the front wheel off the ground and measure how far down the tie slid. Adjust the preload to get about 40 mm.

Same idea on the rear, measure from the axle to a point on the fender, shoot for 40 mm. A helper is almost necessary.

The rear has a rebound adjuster. That controls how fast the shock extends. Back it off one notch at a time until the rear feels bouncy while you ride an undulating road, then tighten it slightly until it feels good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts