StromTrooper banner

Surprisingly inexpensive replacement parts 1050XT

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Stromemanuel 
#1 · (Edited)
For the last several years, I have owned and made repairs to Ducatis and H-Ds. My current project is a '22 Salvage 1050XT. The bike needed both side covers repaired, painted, and new decals. I figured the body work and paint would be around $300, so I ordered the 4 decals for $100 and took the covers to a local painter. All in $400, which is fine by me because H-D or Ducati replacement parts would be around $1000.

While I'm waiting on the painter, I browsed the parts fiche and saw the cost of painted side covers including decals for around $350, with taxes and shipping. Surprisingly inexpensive. So, I spent an extra $50 for repaired parts vs new. Bad decision on my part, but I am liking this Suzuki cost of ownership more and more.

#2 ·
I bent the clutch lever on my 2022 DL650 several months back. Walked into the Suzuki dealer expecting to pay a premium price for OEM AND that they would have to order it. Nope. In stock - $20 even (plus tax). While standing at the counter, I heard the guy mention to himself out loud to order another to have on-hand.

A couple of weeks ago, I dropped the bike and broke the end off the new clutch lever I installed a couple of three months back. Back to Suzuki. The owner is there this time and he searches the computer, then goes in the back and brings out another OEM lever. $20 even (plus tax).

Reactions: Big Boy and Marmora
#3 ·
Parts are always surprising. I needed a front wheel cover for one of my GS and looking on eBay they were in the $100 range for used. On a whim got on Max BMW's parts fiche and a new front wheel cover was $85. Then a common bolt will be $12.

I've have learned when you need parts shop new 1st then look for used. Sometimes you are pleasantly surprised and will get new less than used.

Cheers,

P-14

#5 ·
Parts are always surprising. I needed a front wheel cover for one of my GS and looking on eBay they were in the $100 range for used. On a whim got on Max BMW's parts fiche and a new front wheel cover was $85. Then a common bolt will be $12.

I've have learned when you need parts shop new 1st then look for used. Sometimes you are pleasantly surprised and will get new less than used.

Cheers,

P-14
BMW= Bring More Wallet🤣

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.