StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dunno if anyone else in the GTA / Southern Ontario had to contend with the winds yesterday, but I rode into work, and parked in my usual spot on the street in downtown Toronto.

After work, I passed by the bike on my way to have dinner with a colleague around the corner, and all was well.

I came out of the restaurant around 8:30pm to find my Vee upside down in the street - the heavy winds had blown her over, and she was on her back, resting on a side case and a bar end.

My PWD crash bars did their job. One of my already scuffed bags got a little more scuffed (actually, I think the stickers on my side case took the brunt of it) and I have a tiny paint chip on my crash bar, and another scrape on my bar end. That's it.

Unfortunately the sun had gone down and there wasn't enough light to take a pic with my iPhone, but the bike went rightside up with no difficulty, not a drop of fluids had leaked, fired right back up and I got home with no drama.

I love this bike.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Was the bike was on its right side. On left side drops, there is a tendency for oil to migrate into the airbox. Was the bike parked on the side stand or center stand?

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
On left side drops, there is a tendency for oil to migrate into the airbox.

So that's where the brown juice in my air box came from. I wondered about that! Thanks GW

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was on the sidestand, was blown over on the right hand side...I'll check the airbox the next time I have the tupperware off, but for now I'm not going to worry so much!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
That must have been quite a wind. Ground not level and bike lowered can contribute too.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Wow!

Maybe you should sneak in after hours to sink some threaded anchors in for a pair of tie-downs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tip Over

I've had my DL1000 over on both sides. Like you, my PWD bars helped. The only time I had a problem was when I didn't have my bags on. The bags kept it from laying flat on its side so I didn't get any oil draining into the airbox. The one time I didn't have the bags on, I got a LOT of oil in the air box. It ran like a mosquito truck. If it smokes you need to clean out the air box. I filed the rough marks of the crash bars then used some sand paper to smooth it down. Mask it off with some blue tape and hit it with some black paint. Good to go.

·
Registered
791 Posts
We had winds of around 90km/hour in Brampton (54mph) and gusting; hard to believe it would blow off the sidestand but definately a challenge yesterday at highway speeds...In downtown Toronto there is crazy gusting with all those tall buildings though...

·
Administrator
14,222 Posts
I was riding in it.. good fun!

The trickiest part for me was riding down a gravel road "at speed". I was trying to keep in the tire tracks which were not loose gravel while the rest was. The natural wander of the bike made it "interesting". :)

..Tom

·
Registered
112 Posts
I rode to work that day as well and on my way home I headed down the 427(from the airport) I got as far as the 409 and said to myself this is too much and took the side roads. It was the high gusts that were tricky. I just knew that as soon as I got as far south as the runways the open area would just let the winds scream across the road. I saw a Dash8 coming in for a landing and he was almost hovering he had to push the nose down just to get the plane to descend!

·
Registered
20 Posts
the wind

You lot are braver than I. I thought I'd take the long way home across the HWY 6 extension, which has some wide open sections. A few times I was nearly blown into the opposing lanes. Not my idea of a good time. I was happy to get home to put the bike away. Then the big winds came!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts