StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm an avid rider and surfer, I'm looking to combine the 2 sports.

I have a 2020 V-Strom and just added some front accessory bars. I'm looking at this surfboard rack I found online. Has anyone ever use it? I have a 7ft board I would like to mount to my bike.
Get the Best Deals on Motorcycle & Moped Surfboard Racks

Or have anyone had done something different that works? I'm all ears. Maybe taking off one case and strapping the board on that with some padding in between

Thanks,
Nic

·
Registered
819 Posts
Hmmm, never seen a surfboard attached to a motorcycle, but if you are only traveling a km or two at 50kph it might be ok...I am just worried that at speed, the board may become an "airplane wing" and start pulling or pushing your bike to the left or right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, never seen a surfboard attached to a motorcycle, but if you are only traveling a km or two at 50kph it might be ok...I am just worried that at speed, the board may become an "airplane wing" and start pulling or pushing your bike off the course?
Yes, I was worried about that, but read a trip report of someone on a BMW GS 1250 from Patagonia to North America, said it was fine.

But I'm obviously looking for a second opinion as I wanna drive about 100km to the nearest surf spot

·
Registered
819 Posts
I think something like this would be much safer, like a single wheel trailer for your motorcycle, except the front of the board should be lower then the rear to keep it from flying away 🙂

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
I had one of those racks on a Honda 125, it was a city only bike, never exceeded 60kph and it's only a few kilometres to beach for me,

I couldn't imagine traveling long distances or high speeds with the board attached but that is not saying it can't be done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
found a few images that gave me the idea. Report says he didn’t use a rack an just strapped it to his side case. Apparently drove 80 mph with it!

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
They are seen on scooters here. I won't say often but they are seen. Basically just a loop with two hooked ends bolted to the rack at the back of the bike, usually a bungee holding everything in place.

They don't look amazingly secure but they seem to work - given this place is surf central anyway I suspect not run at high speeds.

·
Registered
353 Posts
OK, first, I'm curious about why a Canadian would be looking for a surfboard rack for any vehicle. Second, I'd suggest looking at something Hawaiian. I saw a number of bicycles there that had a pair of fairly large, U-shaped, foam, padded racks on one side that held surf boards. Shorty 7' boards certainly easier than 10' foam tops. Third, I'm a terrible surfer, but when I do surf, I do it in warm water.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts