StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at doing some work on the front end (steering head bearing and front fork service) in the near future, and was thinking on how to support the front of the bike.

Rear will be in a race stand and was thinking placing car stands under the Givi Crash bars to support the front.
Interested to hear if anyone has used this idea or what others do ?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Looking at doing some work on the front end (steering head bearing and front fork service) in the near future, and was thinking on how to support the front of the bike.

Rear will be in a race stand and was thinking placing car stands under the Givi Crash bars to support the front.
A Vortex front stand is great, but unfortunately, it bears upon the steering head, so you can't check or work on those bearings when it's supported that way. here's what I do, though this is the reverse of what you want:

http://www.flyingjoke.org/motorcycles/dl650/misc/tiedown.jpg

It works exactly the same way at the other end. I tie down the rear of the bike to that jig, and then jack under the engine, using a 1x2 to prevent the jack from bearing upon the oil drain plug and whatnot.

The jig is very simple; it's just 4x4s bolted to plywood, with steel eye bolts to accept the tiedown hooks, and weighted with concrete blocks. It has a piece of an old tire tacked to the point where the bike tire contacts it.

It takes me about 5 minutes to get either end of the bike in the air this way. Credit for this idea goes to Don Eilenberger.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Should probably add that I have B & B bashplate fitted to the givi crash bars aswell
Hmm ... not sure I'd want those two (8mm?) hex screws supporting 500 lbs, so I might not jack under that. I might be underestimating their shear strength, but it looks dicey to me.

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
When I did the new forks on mine, I supported the bike under the engine on a chassis stand and then threw a rope over a beam in the garage and under the headstock.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm ... not sure I'd want those two (8mm?) hex screws supporting 500 lbs, so I might not jack under that. I might be underestimating their shear strength, but it looks dicey to me.
was going to support under the crash bars not the bashplate

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
I have lifted the front of mine many times using a floor jack against the Givi bars. The first time I did it I just lifted at the center connect bolt up front. That flexed the bars a bit, so I fashioned a lift block from 4x4" wood to spread the force across the front section. If I were doing fork and fork bearing work I'd arrange a secondary support as well.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I bought a miniature electric hoist from W.W. Grainger long ago and hung it in the garage from the rafters.
(Note: actually its rigged to three points overhead to spread the load).

Has an up/down pendant, .. thats all. With that and a few slings of different lengths you can do about anything.
With a DL .... gastank off, I choke arount the black engine "hangers" ... each side and then those two slings to the hook on the hoist. Wow...works a charm.

Rig the frame at the top subframe mounts... raises the bikes rear. Rig both.... pick up the whole bike.

So many variations... it's fun just to play around with that. (Trying to make working on the bike as fun as possible... been doing it a long time).

Dave

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I bought a miniature electric hoist from W.W. Grainger long ago and hung it in the garage from the rafters.
(Note: actually its rigged to three points overhead to spread the load).
I'd love to have that luxury, but I lack the facilities for hoisting. I'm limited to applying force from below. :(

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I use the centerstand and my SW Motech guards.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I got one of the hydraulic bike lifts from Repco when they were on special, it has been a great tool, it works on the ride on mower as well :yesnod::yesnod:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts