StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Troopers
The bushfires have been absolutely tragic for a lot of the areas we used go riding through, In NSW Kangaroo valley, Mangrove mountain, Lake Conjola, Tumut and Batlow, The Blue mountains.(Most other states have the same issues).
Most of us will know someone personally affected.
Now those Communities are starting to get back onto their feet it would be great if we could get some tourist $ going into them.
Just throwing it out there, to get a bit of discussion going, so maybe we can get some group rides going into these areas and spend a bit of money which will help them get back on their feet.
Just going riding is a good feeling, Imagine how good you will doing some riding to help others.
Maybe for this years Annual get together we could pick one of the worst affected areas?.
Best Regards Brucestrom

·
Registered
15,538 Posts
If there is any benefit from the devastation of a fire is that the grow back seasons can produce some great variety of spring flowerings and improved site lines in the twisties of the mountains.
Our local mountains have a habit of getting burned every few years. So we get natures refresh cyclically.
Sure looks like hell immediately after though!
Riding through a burn area in South East Oregon a few years ago seemed like I was riding through Mordor!

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
You know me Bruce I love a ride and always try to spend my cash in the smaller communities so I'm in....

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
I was pretty shocked travelling through Yosemite just after a sizeable burn ...as in the firies were still hitting the hot spots. It was also surprising what managed to survive.

The question of forest management has been around for a long time.

This is a very enjoyable read.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok things have progressed with our trip, It is just Rolex and I at this stage but we plan on riding from Dalton on Sat 8th Feb morning to Batemans Bay and stay at Mariners on the Waterfront for the night, a swim is on the cards and likely a visit to Mogo zoo. On Sunday 9th Feb morning we will ride up to Bundanoon and stay at Bundy pub for the night, and on Monday do the return trip back to Sydney.
The exact route is a little sketchy at the moment but those will be the start and finish points, Anyone is welcome to join us for some or all of the trip.
Gleeful if your up for a ride or a beer it would be good to catch up.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Friday night the 7th will be at my property "Rolex" near Dalton NSW if you wish to join us.

Plenty of beds but you will need your own food & drink, the Dalton pub has shut it's doors and is up for sale.

The route is still under consideration but there is some great dirt between Batemans Bay & Bundanoon for the Sunday ride.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Might want to check that those "dirt " roads are open yet.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi Brucestrom,

The fire is still causing tragic events!

I'm planning to catch up with you at BBay and show you some of the beautiful beaches and roads etc,

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good one Gleeful, looking forward to the trip and catch up.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Has anyone thought of or considered the 2020 Gathering location? Perhaps we can include one of those towns/ districts that were affected by the fires. I won't have a chance to organise anything this year so it'll have to rest on someone else's shoulders this time round. Now we all seen how easy and wonderful it was without all the organising stresses at Gloucestor so the same can be done elsewhere. so any ideas?

Cheers

wobbly_boor

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you guys are planning a stop at Braidwood Bakery by any chance on the Saturday l'll introduce myself and ride with you to B.Bay then head home to Narooma? Weather, road closures and fire dependant! :)

Cheers,
Tony

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
If you guys are planning a stop at Braidwood Bakery by any chance on the Saturday l'll introduce myself and ride with you to B.Bay then head home to Narooma? Weather, road closures and fire dependant! :)

Cheers,
Tony
We can definitely catch up at Braidwood, we will need to stop for breakfast somewhere, is the bakery OK for that ? it was going to be Gunning or Bungendore.

I will send you a PM with my number so we can connect easier and give you our ETA.

Some cooler weather would be nice !!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi,

The weather will definitely be cooler Rolex, looks like the wet weather gear will need to be packed for the weekend.

Hopefully Harry, Stretch47 and Bully can a join us for Saturday,

?

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I suggested to Bruce he should have done this earlier in the year and he could have singlehandedly put out those dam fires.

Bruce suggested it would be hot, I claimed it would be cold and the looser would buy the first beer.

Bruce asked what if it is wet, I said we drink wine.

It looks like it's wine this weekend.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Has anyone thought of or considered the 2020 Gathering location? Perhaps we can include one of those towns/ districts that were affected by the fires. I won't have a chance to organise anything this year so it'll have to rest on someone else's shoulders this time round. Now we all seen how easy and wonderful it was without all the organising stresses at Gloucestor so the same can be done elsewhere. so any ideas?

Cheers

wobbly_boor
Great idea!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hi,

Its been a few years since i have been on a Vstrom gathtering ride (plenty of ride reports posted years ago). I could be up for a meet up in Batemans, but very dependant on the weather, as the older i get the more of a fair weather rider i become. Also i have seen enough of the disaster what the fires have done after i had to evacuate 3 times since early December. Last week i went down to Mogo and across to the southern suburbs of the Bay, i was really shocked to see the damage down. Luckily my village was saved by the firies ever time we came under threat, a fantastic job done.
Post up what your meet up places will be on Sat and or Sunday and proposed ride route.
If you dont hear from me dont wait for me.

Hopefully Harry, Stretch47 and Bully can a join us for Saturday,

?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts