StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My only free weekend day for the next month is Sunday, Septmeber 9th and I'd like to go for a ride. I have a good looking route planned out that incorparates the Southwood road...twice....you can never have too much of a good thing. :-D

I'm thinking of an 8:00 start in Barrie. I suggest we use the Esso station, right at HWY 400 and Essa Road, as our meeting point again. Its a good spot with fuel and Tim Horton's right there. Its a shorter route than last weekend and should cover just over 400 kms. I've planned the end point in Orillia so people can split off and ride whichever side of Lake Simcoe works best for them. We should be in the Gravenhurst/Bracebridge area at lunch time so there will be choices of where we stop for food. I have the route in .gpx .mps format for those that are interested in a copy. Just emaill me through my profile and I'll send it off to you. I'll try and lay it out in Google maps too so anyone can see it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have the route in .gpx .mps format for those that are interested in a copy.
Could you hand write it on a piece of paper, then mail it to me so I can trace it on my paper map with a highlighter ? I'm kind of old school. JUST KIDDING!

Only 400 km ? What am I going to do with the other half of the day ? :)

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could you hand write it on a piece of paper, then mail it to me so I can trace it on my paper map with a highlighter ? I'm kind of old school. JUST KIDDING!
Well, the paper maps are a step up from what you were using before...

Only 400 km ? What am I going to do with the other half of the day ? :)
You still have the trip up to Barrie and back down from Orillia. I'm sure you could include a little side trip to Peterborough on your way home to make the ride worthy. ;)

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I'll have to pass...

My only free weekend day for the next month is Sunday, Septmeber 9th and I'd like to go for a ride. I have a good looking route planned out that incorparates the Southwood road...twice....you can never have too much of a good thing. :-D
I'll have to pass on this one. :(

-Peter in Niagara Falls

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
That's looking very doable. Will know more later.

TH sent in Morse code:
Could you hand write it on a piece of paper, then mail it to me so I can trace it on my paper map with a highlighter ? I'm kind of old school.
I like it. You get the Big Picture. All these squiggly lines on a postage stamp LCD display. Bah! You know, the next thing they'll do is put electric starters in motorcycles. Then we're toast!

V-Tom whispered:
ps: maybe you can get some of your DL1000 buddies to come as well!
What's it look like? You never see them around.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
V-Tom whispered:

ps: maybe you can get some of your DL1000 buddies to come as well! ;-)

What's it look like? You never see them around.
They're big and ugly and powerful beasts and you guys don't get to see them much because you're too slow. :cool:

·
Registered
278 Posts
can't make it that weekend. have my daughter and her feet don't reach the passenger pegs....yet! very interested in the next one though

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know. I'll give it to the end of the week. Depending on responses, I may move it back to early October.

Maybe I should set up a poll for potential dates?

·
Registered
376 Posts
So far it looks like I can make Sept 9th, coming from Cambridge. May be common knowledge, but a GPS track can be entered into http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ and then opened in Google Earth. You can then "fly" the route by selecting a height and the angle to look down at. Roads like Peninsula Rd (Southwood) that just looks like trees on both sides as you ride it, can be seen why it is called Peninsula Rd. I think the paid version of Google Earth can open Garmin tracks directly.

·
Administrator
13,204 Posts
If you use Garmin Mapsource it can directly show track, waypoint etc on google Earth. All you have to do it go to the "view" menu and select "view in Google Earth"

Ths capability came a while ago but if you don't see it in your version of Mapsource then just get the latest (free) upgrade.

..Tom

So far it looks like I can make Sept 9th, coming from Cambridge. May be common knowledge, but a GPS track can be entered into http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ and then opened in Google Earth. You can then "fly" the route by selecting a height and the angle to look down at. Roads like Peninsula Rd (Southwood) that just looks like trees on both sides as you ride it, can be seen why it is called Peninsula Rd. I think the paid version of Google Earth can open Garmin tracks directly.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If you use Garmin Mapsource it can directly show track, waypoint etc on google Earth. All you have to do it go to the "view" menu and select "view in Google Earth"

Ths capability came a while ago but if you don't see it in your version of Mapsource then just get the latest (free) upgrade.

..Tom
Sort of, at least on mine. I use auto-routing in either Topo Canada or City Nav to create a route, but when I show it in Google Earth, the auto-routing is lost, and all I get is straight lines between waypoints. Tracks look fine, but that's kind of after the fact.
../doug

·
Administrator
13,204 Posts
Doug, I just looked at http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ and while it is pretty cool it doesn't seem to convert a route in a way that follows the roads.. it just connects the dots same way that Google Earth would from Mapsource (at least in the one example I tried out.) Am I missing something?

It would be neat if one of these programs could do that.. convert the route to a format that works with the "get directions" part of Google Maps.

..Tom

·
Registered
538 Posts
Doug, I just looked at http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ and while it is pretty cool it doesn't seem to convert a route in a way that follows the roads.. it just connects the dots same way that Google Earth would from Mapsource (at least in the one example I tried out.) Am I missing something?

It would be neat if one of these programs could do that.. convert the route to a format that works with the "get directions" part of Google Maps.

..Tom
Got me; I've never tried GPS Visualizer. I'm an IT guy at work, and I get enough 'screen time' there, without spending too much more time at it at home. :( But yeah, seamless conversions both ways between Google Maps and the GPS mapping program of your choice, MapSource in my case, with full auto-routing, would be great. I expect it'll come, just not here yet.
../doug

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
sept 9 ride

So far the calendar is clear, I will try to be there with or without Deb, This is the first weekend after the start of school, I definitely want to ride but administrative work may get in the way.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts