StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Farmerjoe said "Lets plan to plan something this year".

Here is the thread.

Lets plan to have a Strom ride, Sunday April 29th. Lets be ready to leave from the Esso at the corner of Essa Rd. and Ardagh Rd. in Barrie at 10am.

We'll head nothward on 26 and turn off towards Vasey. Head through Coldwater and take Big Chute to the 400 then up to Bala 38. We'll stop at Bala for lunch at the Firehouse (I think that's the name) then head up 632 to Rosseau (best road in Ontario).

After Rosseau we'll take I believe 24 south to Windamere and get a real smoking picture of all our Stroms lined up at the dock on Lake Muskoka. We'll head back through Graverhurst to Hwy 11 and slog it back south.

With a few people this will be a longer ride, I'd expect to be back in Barrie around 5pm-ish. There are points along the way to duck out early if you have time constraints and would be able to find your way home with no troubles.

This ride is open to everyone regardless of skill level that shows up on a Wee or Vee. We'll ride at a non-licence threatening speed. I like to go faster than the speed limit but I'm not crazy. There are no gravel roads on this route, I think as a group it'd be safer to stick to pavement the first time riding together.

Let me know what you think, we have lots of time to plan a simple ride. I'll post a map of the route soonish with the start point clearly labelled.

Hopefully see you then,

Me

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Very Tempting!

I cannot yet be certain of my schedule, but I want to be part of that ride, because it includes some of my favourite roads. I suggest some caution on the road from Windermere to Gravenhurst. When I rode it in June 2006, there were a lot of gravel patches, especially where I didn't want them, such as those delightful left-right-left curves near Ufford.

Other roads might be similarly afflicted, but I didn't ride them so I don't know.

Thanks for the effort of designing a dandy route!

Keith Falkner
Sarasota FL

(Flying the 1922 Red Ensign on my flagpole today)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey Shepherd,

I am posted to Borden. I should be there mid April.

I read your profile.

World Domination is not my goal but I do play Risk.

I am not an obscure religious leader but a Minister of a Mainline Denomination.

Despite our apparent differences, may I still ride?

Blessings,
Christopher.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Oh boy, the ride is still 3 months away and we already have conflict.

I'll be sure to wear my referee's outfit. ;)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hah, you are more than welcome to come on the ride with us. Maybe you could bless us before we depart. I'll leave the sacrifical chicken at home for a future outing.

Hopefully see you then,

Me

Hey Shepherd,

I am posted to Borden. I should be there mid April.

I read your profile.

World Domination is not my goal but I do play Risk.

I am not an obscure religious leader but a Minister of a Mainline Denomination.

Despite our apparent differences, may I still ride?

Blessings,
Christopher.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm in. Think we could work the Southwood Road into the return trip?
It would be easy to work Southwoods Rd. into the ride. I am concerned though about how much sand will be on the road at that time of the year. In the past it's been well into May / June before it gets washed away. The corners are that tight that the local traffic doesn't generate enough speed to blow the sand away.

We might have the Orillia gang send the streetsweeper through again this year. Last year they rented the cities street sweeper and did the whole road, it was sweet.

I'm going to ride the whole route beforehand so I can gauge the state of each road. I've been on each of these roads numerous times but I like to know the conditions (sand, gravel, frost heaves) before leading people on a ride. If Southwoods is good we'll go on it, if it's two 1' clear ruts in a sea of sand like two years ago then we'll pass on it since it's no fun at a crawl.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sometimes you just got to say it...

I assume the sacrifical chicken is a virgin then.
I guess while you were in Theology school you must have skipped out of a few of the Paganism 101 classes, virgins and volcanos go together. Chickens are associated with crazed voodoo priests.

Sheesh :lol:

As for goats Heavy, they are not that much more expensive than chickens but a whole lot more easier to control. Goats are destructive. You have one out there pre-ride standing in the pentagram. You turn your back to chat with your riding mates and have a swig or two of Diet Coke and the next thing you know it's eaten the chinstrap of your helmet and is half way through your foam liner.

Off to read the tea leaves,

Talk at you'se later,

Me

·
Registered
180 Posts
Provided I'm off and it isn't snowing, I should be there!

Cheers

V.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And the chickens fit much better in your top case.
You can easily get three chickens into the top case, they are pretty compliant. As for the goat, it's a chore getting the bungees to hold the goat down on the pillion so it can't escape. We wont even mention the PETA people chasing behind you in their Toyota Prius's.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Cool! I've marked it on the calendar. That 632 does a good impression of a rollercoaster !!

1 - 20 of 126 Posts