StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time i was out riding I thought a hood or sun shield would be great to stop the glare on the screen making it hard to see.
So yesterday I thought I'd make something up.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
Some hardware stores sell sheets of rubber in various thicknesses. I made a similar hood for my Garmin for a couple bucks. I velcro'ed it to the GPS.
It do make a difference.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It shouldn' Help

The G 590 is the only auto/moto GPS device equipped with a color transreflexive LCD display. The display uses and reflects back into your face direct sunlight, particularly when the Sun is over your shoulder. There are some conditions that cause problems, however. If your going into the Sun and have a safety vest or some other reflective coat, that image will shine onto the G590 and then be reflected back into your face. A hood will not stop it. Another condition is the Sun can be off to the side where its light reflects off the surface of the glass display. This is a very transient condition and even a slight motion of the handle bar might change the angle of reflection. Generally, a hood on a G590 should not help you see the display. Hoods can be effective with all other GPS devices under some conditions but if the Sun is over your shoulder, the hood will have to be very long to do any blocking plus you have to get your eyes way down. IMO there is nothing about the G590 that is not available for less money except the transreflexive display. Google it and read the Wikipedia article.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nice! Is the Velcro holding up OK? I thought about using a rubber mat too, with grommets and zip ties.

Then the good idea fairy hit me and I decided to use an old deck-screw box. Painted it black, and voila:

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
There are some good ideas on here. I'll throw mine in too. My sunshield is made from sheet plastic, with nylon webbing hinges so it can store flat when it's not being used. It's attached to the RAM cradle for my Garmin with velcro (the velcro is glued to the cradle with E6000, one of my favorite cements).

Attachments

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
how did you attach the webbing hinge to the plastic? E600 as well?
Yep. I glued the webbing to the plastic shield, then put a book on top of it to clamp the pieces together, and let it sit overnight. The bond has held up under repeated flexing of the webbing joint, with no sign or weakening. That E6000 is one of my favorite cements for bonding dissimilar materials.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts