StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got a replacement rear fender for my 650 off ebay.It's extremely sun faded, whitish hue to it. Fender material is the bare black plastic, kind of a rough texture, totally unpainted. (You know, like the shroud part up on the guages area.)

Other than Armor-All which is just ok, anyone have an excellent product that brings out the black base color again to like new apearance?

Thanks guys, dave

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mother's Back to Black is another. Apply to a clean surface with terry cloth, then buff with a terry cloth when dry. I've used on my bare plastic Wee bits. It lasts about a year before it starts fading, then I re-apply.

·
Registered
15,418 Posts
What #2 said, you could use a good Primer after a light sanding and not go for the chemical wash that may not work.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I use back to black as well. does a very nice job but I only get about 2 washings from it but it is very easy to apply. when plastic pieces on my truck get the white haze I clean first with wd-40 on a cloth then wipe throughly with dry cloth then use back to black.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, the auto store route should work for m/c plastics.

Also was wondering what just clear paint would do ... and if it did work , would it last and not, with time start looking ugly itself.

I experimented way back, on similar faded plastic, with a paint softening heat gun. The heat would cause the whitish fade on black plastic to sorta "melt" away but it was tricky to get the transformation to stop there. Almost immediately beyond that appearance change, it would start to get a glossy surface. Didn't look right and wasn't uniform. Not successful.

Wondered if anybody perfected a treatment in the kitchen oven? That would be very cool. Something like maybe, set the oven to 425* and pop the part in. Expect it to be in there for aboutfor 2 minutes but watch thru window and yank it out as soon as white fades. quench in water quickly.

dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts