StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the route. We have a slightly more detailed version, this shows alot rougher what we intend to do. There are two pages to the map if you look to the left of the screen and scroll to the bottom.

Google Map

We start on June 12 from Blacksburg, VA and arrive back to Virginia about June 28. I'd like to post the more detailed version, but that may take some time to get up. The only thing not shown is the ferry we plan on taking across the lake to MI.

We are going to be doing a fair amount of camping and any suggestions for campgrounds would be great. I've begun assembling a few at each stop point.

this is a pretty quick post but i wanted to get it up. work has been extremely hectic recently and hasn't given me much other time. I'll try and get my gear list up as well. Anybody have any questions? Let me know if the map isn't viewable.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure where we are leaving from Blacksburg. Most likely we'll stop by the campus and leave from there. I'm partial to the either the chapel or the Memorial

Beartooth is part of the trip. I"m not sure if it was ever considered a detour. I'll have to talk to my buddy about it but i expect it was something that was inserted before our route changed up.

I will add this interesting tid bit. My buddy and I graduated together with another guy who if fact starts today a ride across the country on a bicycle to raise money for MS. At first our paths were going to be different, but now it seems that we will be camping in the same town the first night of our trip.

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
The Memorial would be a good spot. Really miss that place. Let us know how the trip goes, and goodluck with the planning.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I attended VT from 2001 to 2008 and received my BS and MS in civil engineering and Structural engineering respectively. My ride partner graduated from a school in Alaska and then attended VT with me for his Masters. The guy we are meeting is a VT grad who did his under grad and grad with me as well.

The picture in my profile is from the ride home after riding in the Hogs for Hokies memorial ride the second year is was done.

I've done some research into the conditions to expect in WY and Yellowstone but i was curious how they compared with the experiences of others at the time of year we will ride through.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I notice you have a few KOAs listed. They have little 1 room cabins with 3 beds & matresses. All you need is sleeping bag & pillow. It's not a bad deal if there's 3 of you, 'specialy when the weather turns bad. They are much more popular than throwing up a tent & sleeping on the ground, with the old farts I ride with.

As for the weather, expect anything that time of year, but you already know that.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Maybe it's just the limitations of the Google map, but is it possible you are only going to graze the east side of Yellowstone NP?

That would be very unwise, since the geyser basins, the lake, and the falls are the major attractions. It's like going to the Grand Canyon and not bothering to walk over to the rim for a view.

I hope it's just a map thing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
at the moment its the plan. It could change though.

as much as we'd like to do it go through yellowstone, our time table is tight. much tighter than i'd like. After talking with some people i was informed to expect alot of traffic and other tourists. We decided not to deal with them to hold off on traveling through Yellowstone. We do have some of a route through if something changes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You picked a great route. I've ridden most of those roads at various times on various trips. Beartooth pass is awsome as is Red Lodge. Hopefully you have to time to see more of Yellowston NP.

I did highway 40 eastbound a few years ago. I think it's one of the best ways to travel that part of the country. Great scenery and you can put some good miles on your bike each day.

Enjoy,
Gary

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
as much as we'd like to do it go through yellowstone, our time table is tight. much tighter than i'd like. After talking with some people i was informed to expect alot of traffic and other tourists. We decided not to deal with them to hold off on traveling through Yellowstone.
That's some very unusual advice you got there. Last summer my wife and I were motorcycle touring in that area and re-visited Yellowstone for the umpteenth time. Even though we were familiar with the place, it still scored much higher on the scenery/interest meter than the Beartooth Pass. I think I only took one or two pics at the snowy summit of the pass, while I filled up the card in Yellowstone. The Beartooth is nice, but there are many comparable or better roads in CA and CO -- Yellowstone NP, OTOH, has no equal in the world and that's why a lot of those tourists are from Germany, Japan and other far-off lands.

Same rating goes for Chief Joseph highway. Definitely a nice ride, but nothing very unique scenery-wise and not worth skipping Yellowstone for.

The park is busy in the summer, to be sure, but it's 3 million acres so only the high-density tourist nodes like the Old Faithful area are really crowded.

Just my humble opinion, of course. 'Ya gotta do what 'ya gotta do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dubuque

I would suggest in Dubuque hit hwy52 south. This takes you along the river then you can skip into Chicago from there. If you need anything while in Iowa let me know. I live in Dubuque.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You cant go wrong once you start heading north in Co, but to get there... that is another story.

I have done that trip from PA several times. Do yourself a favor and GET OFF I70. You are missing waaaay too much for a very small time tradeoff.

Go a little north and get us36, or south to catch 50 or 34. I have ridden all 3 and they will not hold you up as much as you think. I would bet 36 doesn't have 5 stoplights across the entire state of Kansas. And, it actually makes what could be a dull state kind of interesting

·
Registered
528 Posts
If time permits, when you get off the Ferry in Ludington, MI, I would take M-31 north to Manistee then M-22 North through the Leelanau Penisula back down to M-37 south to Kestelwoods Campground (2 1/2 miles south of M-55). GREAT campround, very clean, heated pool, wonderful family restaurant and party store on site too.

I have done this route several times and it is very cool, lots of twisties through small coastal towns. Lots of fun!

Drop me a line if you do this...I may be able to take a day off work to ride and lead the way. [email protected]

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the suggestions.

How much notice do you need to get off of work? We might have the time to do it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts