Strom Trooper banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,044 Posts
Lots of rec's for the olympia airglide. Any input on sizing? Im 6', 200 lbs. I usually buy larges in everything, but at that size some cuts are a little tight.
I have an Olympia X-Moto (2012) and Dakar (2014), both are size Large. They fit perfectly for me. Both do come with liners (waterproof and insulated). I don't know about the Airglide. I am 6', about 190 lbs or so, wear a 43 suit and a 34 inch waist.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just got my V-Strom intending to ride to work. Did my first commute yesterday. Its been hot here but in the AM it was cool enough for me to wear my leather jacket with elbow and shoulder protection. Coming home was another story. It was too hot to think about that heavy jacket so I rode home in crazy DC traffic without it.

Got home, Parked the bike went inside and ordered a Bilt Techno mesh Jacket in Hi-Viz and a White HJC modular helmet.

I didint want to spend a ton and also considered an Olympia Newport I found on Amazon for under $100. The two jackets are similar but with very different feature sets. The Olympia Newport has a non-breathable waterproof liner that can be removed and worn separately or even over the mesh part. The Bilt Techno has an insulated liner but is not intended to be water proof. I eventually went with the Bilt due to more adjustment tabs and the fact the adjustments were snaps vs velcro and in my experience anything non-breathable is pretty miserable in any weather condition so felt the Olympia liner would be useless for me. I wanted hot weather protection and the insulated liner in the Bilt will extend the usefulness deeper into fall so that was my pick. I'll update with impressions of the jacket after I ride in it.

I have an old North Face Mountain Light parka I keep on the bike I can wear over other gear if it rains. Being Goretex it will breath way better and is ok to ride in if caught out in weather.

I'm keeping my eye out for a deal on an Aerostitch for cooler weather but it one doesn't turn up by fall, I'll go with the Joe Rocket Survivor, knowing if I hit rain, it'll be time to through the North Face over it to stay dry.
To update, I'm reasonably happy with the BILT Techno Mesh jacket. I have found I have to be careful to fully insert the zipper tab or it will pull open from the bottom. This has happened a couple of times when putting the jacket on, but I had it happen once while riding and it was really annoying. As fas as the mesh performance, we've had some pretty extreme heat (90+ and high humidity) and in those conditions I sweat through my shirt anywhere there isn't mesh, but no jacket would perform any better. I haven't had a chance yet to see how the insulated liner performs. Fingers crossed the zipper issue doesn't become worse, otherwise the Jacket has done what I am looking for in providing an extra layer of protection, increasing my visibility to other motorists and remaining tolerably cool even in the stupid heat we've been experiencing the past couple of weeks.

Now, since my original post I also picked up a pair of BILT Overpants. The goal here is provide some extra protection and keep my work clothes clean. So far these pants are not working out for this weather. They are intended to be waterproof, so essentially zero breathability. Haven't ridden in the rain so can't comment on the water proof claim but with full length leg zippers (a requirement to be functional for my main use) I fully expect they'll leak in a prolonged downpour. Temp wise, they have been tolerable for the morning commute but my khakis are totally sweat soaked by the end of the afternoon commute (~45 miles). These pants may have been a mistake but we'll see how they perform in cooler weather. They also have an insulated liner so hopefully the lack of breathability won't be an issue in cooler temps and they will be useful paired with my leather jacket for late season riding.

Meanwhile for commuting in the current hot conditions, I ordered a pair of mesh overpants from a Company called "Wicked Stock" I found on Amazon that had really good reviews and an attractive price. They'll be here Friday and hopefully will be way cooler riding that the "waterproof" pair. Will update again when I get to check them out. Hopefully a full mesh outerlayer will provide the protection I want and still be tolerably comfortable in this warm weather.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the Sedici ADV series jacket and pants. They do the job and I feel protected in them but they don't seem to flow much air. But they are all I have so I don't have much to compare them to. Shopping for more stuff.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got a motorcycle last fall. Back then I acquired an alpine stars 3 season setup: a jacket with liner that I put a d3o in for back protection. Come June we got our first 90 degree day and I went shopping right away, the lack of mesh was just too much.

Tried on icon stuff at one shop, but not impressed with the offerings. At another shop they had a lot more olympia gear. Looked over the Dallas Mesh and was very impressed. Ended up getting one of those on amazon for ~135 or so. It's been great so far. CE Level 2 a big plus. Wish their x moto 2 had the same level 2 armor that would make that a no brainer purchase.

Sizes run big on the olympia stuff so I wear a XL while my alpine stars jacket is XXL.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've been wearing my Joe Rocket mesh jacket for summer riding many years. But I just bought and used something for hot weather riding that turns out to be one of the most effective riding gear investments. It's a Fly Cooling Vest. I recommend it!!! https://www.motosport.com/product/?adpos=1o9&cc=us&creative=274349650311&device=c&gclid=CjwKCAjwkenqBRBgEiwA-bZVtqQ_p_O9Wj3cKnQHFFm3LpMQY9p72s4bGWnejkHJarhREXnpX3XB2hoCKBQQAvD_BwE&key=Fly-Racing-Cooling-Vest&matchtype=&mrkgadid=3293936864&mrkgcl=500&network=g&product_id=FYL001T-X002-Y006&pssource=true&rkg_id=0&segment=badger-street

Attachments

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Joe Rocket Phoenix icon mesh is my warm weather jacket. Has a zip out rainproof liner as well as a zip out insulated liner. Comes with shoulder, elbow and back pads and you can replace the foam backpad with a CE2 spine protector easily. I use a Forcefield Armor back insert in both of my Joe rocket jackets

The jacket is under $200, the Forcefield CE2 backplate is another $80 or so

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just purchased a Bilt mesh with the zip in or out insert and it’s not bad.I have a Harley mesh that works really well.Anything over 85 and us here in North Idaho thinks it’s a heat wave.I rode fifty miles today and the Bilt brand did good.First time in the dirt and the bike did good too.The rider on the other hand realized he’s not a young man anymore.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I also got the Bilt mesh. I like it a lot. I had it out yesterday in low 90s sunny weather and it did fine. As long as you can keep moving, it cools you. It seems a little more generously cut than the Olympia in comparable sizes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just purchased a Bilt mesh with the zip in or out insert and it’s not bad.I have a Harley mesh that works really well.Anything over 85 and us here in North Idaho thinks it’s a heat wave.I rode fifty miles today and the Bilt brand did good.First time in the dirt and the bike did good too.The rider on the other hand realized he’s not a young man anymore.
I also got the Bilt mesh. I like it a lot. I had it out yesterday in low 90s sunny weather and it did fine. As long as you can keep moving, it cools you. It seems a little more generously cut than the Olympia in comparable sizes.
I wore my Bilt through the hottest part of summer here in the mid-Atlantic and it was reasonably comfortable in the 90-100 degree high humidity days we had it kept me mostly sweat free except fo the back pad. I could shift around and lean out from behind the windscreen to get some cooling there but generally has soaked through my shirt at the end of my 50 mile commute.

Finally getting a little more comfortable here and soon, I'll be wishing the Bilt Mesh was warmer.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Although the first thing I did was pull out the insulating liner, I'd imagine it would extend the utility of this jacket into the three seasons realm. We'll have to see...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Although the first thing I did was pull out the insulating liner, I'd imagine it would extend the utility of this jacket into the three seasons realm. We'll have to see...
My liner has been getting used for the AM commute and removed for the afternoon. I think with a sweatshirt it'll take me through late Fall at least.

I'm about the pull the trigger on a pin-lock and chin curtain for my helmet as I can already feel the cool during the pre-daylight part of my morning commute. I haven't had to fully close my faceshield but expect I soon will and will face fogging issues at that point hence thinking to try a pinlock.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts