StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for help on finding a summer riding jacket. On top of good ventilation, having some liners or maybe vents that can be controlled for those warm day cool night rides would be nice. I never had a dedicated summer jacket so not sure where to start, and i would like to stay under $200

·
Super Moderator
16,241 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I like my Tourmaster Air Intake 2. TM is up to a 4th version and is under $200. I've tried similar jackets from Joe Rocket and one from Victory motorcycles. Neither would flow more air that the TM. The liners are cumbersome to put in but the rain liner can be quickly put on and zipped without connecting it to the outer mesh shell and it works. Good value in my opinion.

Sp56

·
Registered
319 Posts
+1 for Olympia gear I have a Airglide set for summer/warm riding and a Moto X set for everything else. Love both sets. But I will say Rev'It has had my eye for sometime as well I picked up a tornado set for the wife and that gear is top knotch.

·
Registered
795 Posts
+1 for Olympia gear I have a Airglide set for summer/warm riding and a Moto X set for everything else. Love both sets. But I will say Rev'It has had my eye for sometime as well I picked up a tornado set for the wife and that gear is top knotch.

+1. I have the same combo. After researching materials, I chose Cordura (Olympia) and Kevlar or Covec (Motoport or Scorpion Jeans, cargo pants etc...)

Polyester has a lower melting point on the slide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
I bought a BMW Airflow 4 jacket on sale last fall. Seems to offer some beefy pads and abrasion materials if one goes down. I ended up buying some matching pants (Used) which are too small . ( will probably post in for sale section soon. )

·
Registered
572 Posts
Ever since I started riding nearly 10 years ago, I've been trolling Craigslist for deals. I've come across some amazing steals on gear.

My most recent acquisition was a FirstGear mesh jacket, hardly ever worn, for $30.

When it comes to warmer-weather riding, I'm all about the mesh gear. My first one was an earlier version of the Tourmaster Air Intake, which I replaced with a Sliders (Competition Accessories' house brand, $25 on CL) mesh jacket in Hi-Viz.

I really like my Tourmaster Transition 4 jacket but, even with the vents, I don't like using it when temps get much above 70.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ever since I started riding nearly 10 years ago, I've been trolling Craigslist for deals. I've come across some amazing steals on gear.

My most recent acquisition was a FirstGear mesh jacket, hardly ever worn, for $30.

When it comes to warmer-weather riding, I'm all about the mesh gear. My first one was an earlier version of the Tourmaster Air Intake, which I replaced with a Sliders (Competition Accessories' house brand, $25 on CL) mesh jacket in Hi-Viz.

I really like my Tourmaster Transition 4 jacket but, even with the vents, I don't like using it when temps get much above 70.
Yeah, thats why im looking for a summer jacket. I have the tourmaster advanced jacket and same thing, starts to get a little warm above 75

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,187 Posts
If you have to stay under $200 the Olympia Newport might be something to consider.

If you can squeeze a bit more out of the budget, the Olympia Switchback II is great. I bought one of these last year. Slightly better venting than the Airglide series. But made with Cordura instead of the cheap fabrics the Newport and many other brands are made of.

The Airglide 5 is still one of the most versatile jackets you can buy for any price.

The reason I sort of push Olympia as a good choice is quality. As much as anything their zippers are superior to most of the competition ( in the price range ). Zippers are often the failure point in a crash. The Cordura is far superior in abrasion and melt resistance if you can afford a few more dollars for that. Aerostich stuff is made of Cordura for instance. From my experience with both, Olympia is a very close second in quality to Aerostich.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
I've had one mesh jacket but gave it away. Too much ventilation to my thinking. I'd rather have a few vents to open and wear a wet vest to modulate the air flow and evaporation.
Might think differently if i lived in the parts of the country that get high humidity.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
That's good to hear about Olympia. The Dakar suit has been rock solid for me for 6+ years. My only complaint is I can't take the pants off with the boots on. The new Dakar pants have full side zips... unlike mine. Might have to upgrade some day.

I'm not sure there is that much more venting in the Switchback when compared to the Dakar, or does the look not tell the whole story?

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
I've had one mesh jacket but gave it away. Too much ventilation to my thinking. I'd rather have a few vents to open and wear a wet vest to modulate the air flow and evaporation.
Might think differently if i lived in the parts of the country that get high humidity.
Examples of your setup/jacket/vest with links please :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
What temp would the Airglide be good to in your experiences? (Cool weather) its not the point of this thread, just checking versatility.
I ride my Dakar all season. Just use different layers under and over as needed. I left the house today and it was 10 degrees celcius. Just had my thin heated jacket and my Dakar jacket over top, and my Dakar mesh pants over my jeans. Warm and toasty.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,187 Posts
I'm not sure there is that much more venting in the Switchback when compared to the Dakar, or does the look not tell the whole story?
Pics tell most of the story. Go to the Olympia Site and bring up the photos. Then hover over them with the mouse. Look at the coverage of the mesh. Square inches in total between them, especially in the mid to upper chest area. You will find the switchback has more mesh. Now, what most people overlook, for what makes a huge difference. Pockets. I don't want pockets blocking my air flow! The Dakar for instance has two right where I want the most air to enter. Those block air, even if they are made of the mesh liner material. I had my Motoport gear made without pockets in certain areas just for that reason.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The Airglide and the Moto-X are Cordura. 500d and 1000d respectively.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts