StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Cat Herder
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and gents,

So, Im going crazy. I've always enjoyed long distance solo trips and have gotten it into my head that I should attempt an IBA SaddleSore 1000 this summer. I hope to use the time between now and then by setting up my bike, planning, and building up my endurance (200 miles, no pain or fatigue so far on a stock seat).

So, my questions to all of you PNW riders:
- Have any of you completed a SaddleSore 1000?
- Is there anything I should do to prepare physically?
- What route would work best, South or East from Seattle? (North and West are out because I don't want to have to deal with the border, and there isn't that much highway going West). I'm thinking 500 miles out and back instead of 1000 in one shot.

I have caged 750 miles non-stop in 11-12 hours before on the worst interstate imaginable (I-81) over 8 times, plus a 1500 miler in less than 32 hours (same road, up and back). And yes, I know a cage is different than a motorcycle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Adam

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
garanteed plan

my plan was to take a nice 1000 mile trip away from home over a few days , spend all my money ,leaveing just enough left for gas home . leave beer and pizza in refrigerator at home . then i would be garanteed too set a record for the saddlesore

·
Registered
500 Posts
How about taking the 101? I dig going to Newport, and Florence. Not sure why... just love the sea. Why I ever got out of the Navy I'll never know... other than it didnt pay shit, I was never home, I worked for assholes, and they wouldnt give me ANYTHING to inspire me to re-enlist. Oh... yeah.. that's why I got out :mrgreen:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Boise, ID is about 528 from Seattle. If you did the I-5 you would have to go all the way down to Shasta to break the 500 mile mark. Florence via 101 up through Port Angeles is over 500 miles but it say it's almost 12 hours drive time. Gotta admit.. it sounds like fun, but man that could be potentially a grueling ride depending on the route taken. I would think slabbing it would be a little less intense. I'm a Medic.. I could start a Red Bull IV for ya before you start... I'm a professional:var_39:

Please note that the above statement concerning RedBull via Intravenous access was meant as humor. The author does not endorse or encourage intravenous use of anything other than prescribed medications meant exclusively for that purpose. Do not ever attempt to put any form of food item into your viens via intravenous cather, at any time, EVER.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I thought that the route is made up ahead of time by the people sponsuring the ride...correct me if i am rong.... i heard about this i too would like to do it if i am around but i heard the dates were right in themiddle of my trip to alaska....it seems like it would be fun....

·
Cat Herder
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boise, ID is about 528 from Seattle. If you did the I-5 you would have to go all the way down to Shasta to break the 500 mile mark. Florence via 101 up through Port Angeles is over 500 miles but it say it's almost 12 hours drive time. Gotta admit.. it sounds like fun, but man that could be potentially a grueling ride depending on the route taken. I would think slabbing it would be a little less intense. I'm a Medic.. I could start a Red Bull IV for ya before you start... I'm a professional:var_39:

Please note that the above statement concerning RedBull via Intravenous access was meant as humor. The author does not endorse or encourage intravenous use of anything other than prescribed medications meant exclusively for that purpose. Do not ever attempt to put any form of food item into your viens via intravenous cather, at any time, EVER.
I like the idea about doing the 101. If I did that though, I'd have to ride the full 1000 and not turn around. That'd land me around Santa Cruz after riding across the Golden Gate. My departure time, no matter what direction, is 2:00 AM. I always travel the best when I leave that early. Two issues concerning that time and the 101 is (1) animals and (2) lack of 24-hour gas-stations.

Otherwise, it's I-5 down to Weed, CA ( :var_39: ) and back, or out the I-90 to Montana and back.

·
Cat Herder
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I thought that the route is made up ahead of time by the people sponsuring the ride...correct me if i am rong.... i heard about this i too would like to do it if i am around but i heard the dates were right in themiddle of my trip to alaska....it seems like it would be fun....
Only sponsered rides. You can do it unsponsered.

I could decide to do this tonight after work, just head home, gear up, grab the bike and head to a gas station with a date and time stamp, get a witness, and roll out.

Edit: but I won't. I'd probably fail if I did that. I want to be prepared enough to finish, and do so safely.

·
Registered
Moto Guzzi, sorry.
1,105 Posts
Having done a few 1000+ mile rides...here are my suggestions;

1. Build up your endurance over several rides/weeks.
  2. Do some physical conditioning.
  3. Get most of the miles done before the temps get hot.
  4. Keep your energy up and know when to say when it's time to get off the road.
Other than that it's not that hard to do. The Strom is a great bike and is fully capable.

Good luck and make sure to register your ride with ironbutt.com .

:var_39:

·
Registered
654 Posts
yeah i gotcha now......i hope my trip to alaska doesn't keep me from getting in on it.....i might have to build up some just for that trip....

·
Registered
40 Posts
If youre gonna end up in Boise ID., think about going from Bend to Ontario to Boise. The Oregon High Desert is great that time of year.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
iron butt

after looking at the iron butt web site . they claim its quite easy . get up a little early , and be home for supper

·
Cat Herder
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Having done a few 1000+ mile rides...here are my suggestions;

1. Build up your endurance over several rides/weeks.
  2. Do some physical conditioning.
  3. Get most of the miles done before the temps get hot.
  4. Keep your energy up and know when to say when it's time to get off the road.
Other than that it's not that hard to do. The Strom is a great bike and is fully capable.

Good luck and make sure to register your ride with ironbutt.com .

:var_39:
Thanks for the advice. I was hoping to take progressively longer rides when the weather starts to clear up. I've got relatives down in Portland, so I'm thinking of taking a few jaunts down their way, by different routes, to lengthen the distance.

I think leaving around 2:00 AM will allow me to knock out a good portion of the miles before it starts to warm. Leaving Virginia at 2, I could usually make it to the highlands of Pennsylvania as the sun was just dawning. The feeling of the sun coming up after hours of driving/riding always helped me push on, so I'm hoping it will do so here.

yeah i gotcha now......i hope my trip to alaska doesn't keep me from getting in on it.....i might have to build up some just for that trip....
Let me know when you're planning to do your trip.

If youre gonna end up in Boise ID., think about going from Bend to Ontario to Boise. The Oregon High Desert is great that time of year.
I don't think I'll start off from that far south in OR, as I'd like to start closer to home. Maybe I'll do it later when I decide to do a SaddleSore and BunBunner back to back.

after looking at the iron butt web site . they claim its quite easy . get up a little early , and be home for supper
I believe it's a little harder than that. A little more planning is involved.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
A couple of years ago I was a part of the first in-state SS1000, that is the IBA had just recently come out with the deal. Anyway, we left Bonney Lake at 8am (about 4 hours too late imo), headed north on I-5 and over hwy 20, more or less down to Walla Walla, up to Spokane, and back home.

A SS1000 is not the time to look for twisty roads. Get as many miles in as you can before it gets dark. We did it in 22 hours, but the ride leader was very conservative, and did a great job of planning and executing the route. We stopped for an hour in Spokane to refresh before the last haul. A couple of other meanderings less and it could have been done in 18 hours.

Do a few 3-400 mile days before you attempt. Cut down on your caffeine intake. Get a Camelbak and drink water or Gatorade almost continuously. Keep stretching and keep yourself flexible. Continuously make micro adjustments in your riding position. Get a sheep skin cover, inflatable pad, whatever, and use it a few times beforehand to get a feel for it. Butt pain can go exponential on you after about 600 miles if you're not careful.

It really isn't all that difficult, but it does take some mindful preparation.

·
Cat Herder
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A couple of years ago I was a part of the first in-state SS1000, that is the IBA had just recently come out with the deal. Anyway, we left Bonney Lake at 8am (about 4 hours too late imo), headed north on I-5 and over hwy 20, more or less down to Walla Walla, up to Spokane, and back home.

A SS1000 is not the time to look for twisty roads. Get as many miles in as you can before it gets dark. We did it in 22 hours, but the ride leader was very conservative, and did a great job of planning and executing the route. We stopped for an hour in Spokane to refresh before the last haul. A couple of other meanderings less and it could have been done in 18 hours.

Do a few 3-400 mile days before you attempt. Cut down on your caffeine intake. Get a Camelbak and drink water or Gatorade almost continuously. Keep stretching and keep yourself flexible. Continuously make micro adjustments in your riding position. Get a sheep skin cover, inflatable pad, whatever, and use it a few times beforehand to get a feel for it. Butt pain can go exponential on you after about 600 miles if you're not careful.

It really isn't all that difficult, but it does take some mindful preparation.
Just the type of advice I was looking for.

I have already purchased an Alaska Leather skeepskin and I plan on using it when I do my warm-up pre-rides. I have a good Camelbak too, so I'll use that as well to keep hydrated.

I was trying to avoid as many twisties as possible for my first attempt, mainly because I don't think it's a great idea to be pushing around a DL after riding so many miles. The fatigue would be too much.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I did it last early may. My route was Bellingham to vancover wa. up the columbia to hood river, over then to la grande or., to enterprise, up hwy3-hyw129 through rattle snake canyon, (a must ride road) to clarkston wa., yakima, over I-90, to 405, to i-5 again and home. I did 1113 miles in 18hours and 47minutes. It was not really hard. Just that it was early spring it was still fairly cold on the west side of the mountains. I didn't really stop for food, just gas every 200 miles or so. I had beef jerky, energy bars, and gatoraid when I stopped. I also stopped a couple times to take a picture here and there. My only real advise for you to get ready is to Just Ride. As far as your bike goes I would say just give it a real good check over. Take a flat repair kit and a mini compressor or something to pump it back up with. I have mine under my seat. Some chain lube. Also some tools. I made a tool tube and have quite a bit of tools in there. Flats and breaking down suck. O ya I did my ride solo. Just me and my headphone. Talked to one gas pump dude in oregon. Will I do it again? Yep!!!!! Have fun.....

·
Registered
654 Posts
I would be up to do some of these before hand rides with you...i normally will clock up a couple-400 miles in a day in summur anyways.....i would be up for just about anything....

·
Cat Herder
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would be up to do some of these before hand rides with you...i normally will clock up a couple-400 miles in a day in summur anyways.....i would be up for just about anything....
My wife and I are planning a ride to Coure D'Alene, Idaho this summer.

I'm also hoping to see the Tri-Cities area, The Dalles in Oregon. Ill also make a wine run out to Leavenworth. As well as the obligatory visits to Rainier, St Helens, and Baker. Crater Lake anyone? It'd be good to have you along for any of those.

Some of those rides will probably be in the spring.

·
Registered
654 Posts
My wife and I are planning a ride to Coure D'Alene, Idaho this summer.

I'm also hoping to see the Tri-Cities area, The Dalles in Oregon. Ill also make a wine run out to Leavenworth. As well as the obligatory visits to Rainier, St Helens, and Baker. Crater Lake anyone? It'd be good to have you along for any of those.

Some of those rides will probably be in the spring.

I ould be up for any of the above mentioned rides...i know the mt. ranier, mt st helens area alright...love to go down there.... might even sho you a little dirt if you like..... i also would like to go to the dallas and i also heard of a place called spider canyon thats somehere in this state that is supposed to be just awsome.... i would also recommend going over toward oceans shores....i liked it out there not the longest ride but riding in the sand is so hard...and you could put that with the peninsula then maybe catch a ferry back over to seattle or just ride on around...thats one i have been dreaming about doing ever since last summer when i was out that way....

I am deffently down for lot of the rides that you mention as well though...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ss 1000

Low&Silent,

In the past 12 years and 100,000 plus miles of heavy long haul traveling on bike, i can say if prepared, you make it much easier than one would think. I am more comfy long distances on bike than ever in a car. Being able to move stand, stretch, dangling legs and so on help.

The most i have done is 1300 miles in about 30 hours including a 5 hour hotel stay back in 2005. I was on a mission leaving San Louis Obispo, Ca Friday morning and arriving in Toledo, Ohio Sunday evening by dinner.

Call me if you want some ideas on this!! 419 344 4975!!

Someone here mentioned CAMELBACK, yes indeed!!! If it is hot, and with your gear on you will stay hydrated while reducing the need to use restroom.

As also mentioned no caffeine or pop. To begin with, you want high energy, low carb meal, couple eggs, meat, wheat or whole grain bread, fruit. That way instead of pancakes, you body won't go into automatically storing it into system and making you sleepy or drowsy. Keep with you in tank bag easily accessible granola bars w protein, some nuts and some hard candy and chewing gum. You want to reduce the peaks and valleys our bodies normally go through over the course of a day regarding energy. Like 2pm and 4pm in the afternoon?

Combine bathroom stops with refueling and eating if you have to. On larger cross country trips I have done 5 times i try to maintain 200 miles in 3 hours including a fuel stop and refill water bottle. If you extend to 3hours 15 minutes, you give yourelf a cushion. And by doing this, YOU AREN'T SPEEDING TOO MUCH (8-10MPH OVER) 62.5 MPH AVERAGE = 180 to 200 miles in that time frame.

MAKE SURE TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE IRON BUTT HOTEL!!!! WHEN NEEDED!! The Iron Butt hotel is a rest stop picnic table or shelter when droopy. You have enough time to do one or two of these for 15 minutes at a crack.

CARRY AN ENVELOPE WITH YOU THAT HOLDS YOUR IRONBUTT PAPERWORK AS WELL AS ALL, REPEAT ALL OF YOUR GAS RECEIPTS. ALSO, DON'T FORGET TO ZIP CLOSE THE POCKET OF THE JACKET WHICH HOLDS THE IRON BUTT FINISHED SIGNED & SEALED SS1000 PAPERWORK!!! IF YOU DON'T YOU WILL SEE A SEMI TRUCK RUN OVER IT AND LOSE IT!!!! OH [email protected]$K

I would suggest using SLAB as much as possible. I-90 would be a great way out and back, or starting a SLAB tour I90 to Drumond, MT. Remember, Montana has higher speed limits to make some time up. If you want, i can help you in preparing for this taking some 200-300 mile days. Hell since i got layed-off i might do this with you. I may want to get one of those taller windscreens.

Regards,

·
Registered
654 Posts
Well it looks like there might be a couple of us doing this toghter do we know when the iron butt ride is yet.....i hope my alaska trip doesn't interfer

1 - 20 of 62 Posts