StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A post in one of the other threads got me thinking...Am I the only one that kind of enjoys the ritual of suiting up to get on your bike?

I don't know why, but I love that part of going on a ride....pulling on the boots, getting all my jacket armor placed just-so and cinching down my sleeves, putting on my helmet and adjusting the velcro on my gloves. It is just such a confidence boosting and empowering feeling. It gives you just the slight feeling of invincibility, while also reminding you that you are in fact not invincible. I sometimes think people that aren't ATGATT must be missing out.

Call me crazy...

·
Registered
177 Posts
I sort of have the same feeling...
Like a gladiator suiting up for battle...
or a Matador clinching the sash around his waist as he prepares to face the bull...

To those who don't suit up 'cause it's a hassle - if you make it an unbreakable habit it becomes something you hardly think about.

ATGATT (or in my case MOTGATT - Most of the Gear All the Time - I always wear helmet, gloves, jacket and over the ankle boots - around town and to work I skip the armored riding pants - bad me.)

- Tom

·
Registered
16 Posts
The sensible part of me tells me that I try use that time to get my head into the ride. I consciously set aside the nagging thoughts (that I'm riding to forget about anyway) and mentally ride my route and remember where I have technical trouble being smooth.

But the reality is that I too get a kick out of the "girding for battle" routine. I feel cool as all get out decked out in heavy jacket, pants and boots. There is a feeling of being capable and powerful to be preparing for this somewhat dangerous task. But then, that's part of the thrill.

When people tell me "that's so dangerous", i do try to reply with the answer of "only if you don't know what you're doing", and "there are good ways to minimize the dangers", but what I'm really thinking is "You're darn right it's dangerous. And nothing else makes me feel quite so alive."

·
Registered
852 Posts
Chukchi said:
A post in one of the other threads got me thinking...Am I the only one that kind of enjoys the ritual of suiting up to get on your bike?

I don't know why, but I love that part of going on a ride....pulling on the boots, getting all my jacket armor placed just-so and cinching down my sleeves, putting on my helmet and adjusting the velcro on my gloves. It is just such a confidence boosting and empowering feeling. It gives you just the slight feeling of invincibility, while also reminding you that you are in fact not invincible. I sometimes think people that aren't ATGATT must be missing out.

Call me crazy...

Not crazy . . . . . more like prepared!

Everyday when I get in the elevator, either coming or going, with my pants, helmet, gloves, boots, armor on I always get asked, "Are you riding a motorcycle?" I usually, so, "No, I drive a Volve, I'm just very, very careful!"

It was a hot one today. Kept the face shield all the way down. It was cooler riding that way!

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
fl_strom said:
Everyday when I get in the elevator, either coming or going, with my pants, helmet, gloves, boots, armor on I always get asked, "Are you riding a motorcycle?" I usually, so, "No, I drive a Volve, I'm just very, very careful!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I would have said, "No, (looks around casually) this is an elevator."

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I trashed my bike, my gear and my clutch hand two months ago. I bought new gear over the last couple of days. When I stop by the bike shop, I try my hand out on a Wee clutch lever. At home, I put everything on and look at myself in the mirror.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I enjoy putting everything on. I take my time, and just relax and get 100% prepared. I'm not on my bike in a hurry. I can easily get out of my driveway in 30 second in my car, but about 4 minutes on my bike. I prefer the bike moment :)

When I'm taking my time, I'm taking it easy. When your taking it easy your generally taking it safe 8)

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I hate to admit it...but I like seeing myself in the gear with the helmet on and the visor down 8). Not that I'd ever be one of those "left mergers" in the VW commercial :lol: .

But there is something to be said about that pre-ride ritual of putting on the gear, mounting the bike and starting it up; put's me in the frame of mind to be aware just a little more of how vulnerable I am to even the smallest vehicles out there but the gear lets them know I'm ready.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Oh sure, ATGATT. Today I didn't wear my armored pants or boots. Just jeans and sneakers, felt good for a while. Then realized I was sweating more than I would in all the gear on a hot day. To top it off, on the way home I forgot to do up my chin strap. Yup, real cool ride, sweating due to being so vulnerable and so pre-occupied I forgot the chin strap. First time I rode without the pants since getting them and it will also be the last.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
For me, the gearing up process is not emotionally involved. It's very matter of fact and follows an exact routine so that I know before I take off that I am ready (and there's not a chin-strap dangling, loose snap, etc). I've seen the ramifications of improper gear or loose fitting gear. My perspective is my life depends on it so I approach ATGATT accordingly.

I'm asked all the time "isn't that hot" and the best reply I've heard is "not as hot as a body cast would be." I ride in some seriously hot weather too.

Stromette

J

·
0 Posts
i'm pretty much like stromette on this one. it's a very matter-of-fact process with well-defined steps. i also get the same question. my reply is, "not when i'm moving." :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I hate it and do it as quickly as possible, especially the helmet and gloves which goes on last. It's too damn hot and humid in Houston to enjoy it!!!!! The quicker i gear up the quicker I can take off and get some breeze going! :roll:

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Suiting up for Battle

My wife recently said to me the same thing - "are you suiting up for battle". My reply is, I can be casual in a car since I only sit and aim. My bike however, demands that I be one with it and show up dressed accordingly!

Love Stromette's response re: body cast Good One!!. I personally enjoy the ritual - it 's a precursor to me going to do something enjoyable and it's a good sensible saftey response habit to get into. Besides - as a snowmobiler and ice-fisherman - it's pretty much the same habit as in winter.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's kind of business-like for me, but as I get close to being done, I start to think about the fun I'm about to have!

Just as I snug my helmet strap tight is usually when I realize I left my earplugs out :x take off my gloves, take off my helmet, dig through my pants-pockets, insert the plugs, put on my helmet, put on my gloves, sigh heavily at my unbelievable ability to do this ride after ride after ride after ride..... :roll:

·
Registered
268 Posts
“ATGATT,” Learn it, Live it, and Love it.
My DL 1000 was totaled on 2 March this year. It was a rear end collision that happened as the result of an inattentive driver talking on a cell phone. But had it not been for the riding gear I was wearing, things could certainly have been a whole lot worse. Since then, the pain in my left elbow has become tolerable even though it is still quite stiff at times and fingers and palm of my left hand are kind of tingly most of the time. My lower back still aches all the time and every so often I have a sciatic nerve episode, which feels as if sin has come home to roost. Heck, I couldn’t even pull the slide on an automatic pistol; much less squeeze a clutch lever until earlier this month.
But hey, I got back on my other bike (a 2001, HD XL883C) last weekend. And of course I wore all my gear. But this is summertime and I was wearing the light stuff; First Gear Mesh Tex 3.0 pants and jacket along with “Sidi” combat touring boots, KBC full-coverage helmet, and a pair of leather work-gloves that cost every bit of 5 bucks plus tax.
This was my first ride on a motorcycle since last March. And I must say that the 237 miles logged was very therapeutic. The ritual of putting on the gear is something I’ve learned to appreciate. I mean, doing it at home is a ritual all its own. But donning jacket, helmet, and gloves in preparation for departure from a gas station or café is another matter because looking like an amateur at that stage is quite easy. Oh, let’s see. Where’d I put my ignition key? Good thing I didn’t leave it in the switch. Oh yeah, it’s in my watch pocket, which is on the right side of my blue jeans, underneath the riding pants held up by suspenders and underneath the riding jacket; the sleeves of which are kept from sliding over my hands by the gloves on my hands. And why did I put the key in there? So I wouldn’t leave it on the table in the café. My name is PUTZ. How ya doon?

What I want to know is, “ When are my boots supposed to stop squeaking when I walk?” I bought ‘em last November and have massaged them with everything from saddle soap to shoe polish on many occasions in between. Squeaky boots are the harbingers for embarrassment where ever you go.

·
Registered
221 Posts
ATGATT. . .

It's a question of risk management. In western Washington, we're generally blessed with summertime highs in the mid-70's to the mid-80's. ATGATT is pretty easy to live with under these conditions, and I would not ride without all the gear.

I just got back from a trip to Texas (I did not ride, I flew). Temperatures ranged from overnight lows in the high 70's to daytime highs of 100+. The vast majority of motorcyclists I saw were in some variation of tee shirts/shorts/no helmet (not required by law)/no boots. I saw no one with full riding gear, and only two full-face helmets. I can imagine many riders consider heat-related injuries to be a more pressing problem than potential get-off injuries.

It all comes down risk management. I choose to lessen the risk of serious injury from an uncontrolled dismount by wearing all the gear, all the time. Others have different philosophies.

Putting the gear on each time helps me remember that I'm putting myself into a more vulnerable situation than I would be in a car, so I think it helps me to ride more responsibly.

I hope I'm always wearing too much protective gear.

Stan.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
jomawan said:
...“What I want to know is, “ When are my boots supposed to stop squeaking when I walk?” I bought ‘em last November and have massaged them with everything from saddle soap to shoe polish on many occasions in between. Squeaky boots are the harbingers for embarrassment where ever you go.
Don't worry about the squeak. Just put some jingly spurs on. :)

Or better yet, some bells. :D

Or even better a clown horn. :lol:

Sorry. :oops:

You could try walking without any pants on. I'd bet nobody notices the sqeeky boots, then :shock:

(Sorry, really. I've had way too much chocolate today. 1/2# of teuscher)

www.teuscher.com

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Squeak clump squeak clump squeak clump. Your boots have character.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts