StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a 17 650 and looking for a helmet lock. Which ones work well for you? Thanks in advance,
Joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use a plain old bicycle cable lock. It is keyed and plastic coated. To stow it I wrap it around a luggage rack support. To use it I put it through the visor hole on the full face helmet and the pillion hand grip. It would probably work through the D-Rings too. I have also used this to lock up clothing.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
I have two: a keyed lock for the D-rings for around town (I only use half and bolt it to my top / side case, one of which is always on the bike), and a short run of security chain + good keyed padlock that I can loop through the chin bar for longer-term locking while on a trip. I use a longer run for also securing jacket & pants to the bike when on a longer trip.

Overkill? No doubt. But I have the space and it makes my brothers' bikes & gear (with whom I take trips) easier targets with their flimsy, thin cable locks. :sneaky:

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
I carry a coated cable, about 6 feet long and a gun lock if I need to loop it through a jacket and helmet while traveling, or the gun lock alone takes care of just the helmet. I also bought this on Amazon, you can get it with or without a small padlock. Very handy and cheap.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
I used The Helmet Hook for years, works great with D ring strapped helmets. The Helmet Hook

I now have a ratchet strap helmet. I still use the Helmet Hook with a larger ring to hook the strap on the hook and secure the helmet with Helmet Caddy cable from Moto-Kafe. Helmet Caddy or PM @mark444.

Moto-kafe also makes great Jacket Caddy cables.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I always take my helmets with me, that way I know for sure, it will not;
get stolen,
wet,
dirty,
full of bird shit,
full of ants,
full of ice cream, (yeah parent holding a small kid eating ice cream, stopped by to admire my friend's bike...and ooops)
etc
when ridding I have a full gear and bike boots on me anyway, so to carry my helmet with Sena is no big deal

to lock a $1K helmet to the bike is a bit risky (to me), a pocket knife or scissors it's all it takes to kiss your helmet goodbye, plus you can't even ride home without your helmet :cry:

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Good points, Damirio. However, I think most thefts are those of opportunity, and even a small deterrent goes a long way.

As for the whole list, just for fun...

Stolen -- much harder to do if locked through the chin bar (and with a robust security chain anything short of LARGE bolt cutters or battery powered grinder isn't going to cut it).
Wet -- not if it's upright and visor closed.
Dirty -- no dirtier than when I wear it; cleaner, without my filthy noggin sweating it up!
Full of bird shit -- see Wet.
Full of ants -- I don't leave sugar trails to my helmet.
Full of ice cream -- see Wet.
Pocket knife or scissors -- see Stolen.
Etc -- How one positions and locks the helmet makes all the difference.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Good points, Damirio. However, I think most thefts are those of opportunity, and even a small deterrent goes a long way.

As for the whole list, just for fun...

Stolen -- much harder to do if locked through the chin bar (and with a robust security chain anything short of LARGE bolt cutters or battery powered grinder isn't going to cut it).
Wet -- not if it's upright and visor closed.
Dirty -- no dirtier than when I wear it; cleaner, without my filthy noggin sweating it up!
Full of bird shit -- see Wet.
Full of ants -- I don't leave sugar trails to my helmet.
Full of ice cream -- see Wet.
Pocket knife or scissors -- see Stolen.
Etc -- How one positions and locks the helmet makes all the difference.
I hear you, but I got some expensive tools stolen from much safer and secure place, so as they say; when you get burned once...
The way I think now, I would almost like to take my whole bike to the restaurant with me 😉

I guess I watched too many YouTube videos about 2guys with a flat bed trailer, 15sec max and your whole bike (and locked helmet) gone and gone.
And the new Makita angle grinder YT video 20sec cut through 3/4 inch titanium bar, like butter.

But yes in general it doesn't happen every day,... unless you are in England, apparently the highest bike theft in the world 🙄

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does anyone know when they stop putting a hook on the side of bike so you lock helmet to bike? Now I just put it in my top case.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Cable lock that came with a handgun. As far as I know, they (gun shops) give them away...so you could probably get one “for the price of on the house.”
Same. You can also often find them free at police stations.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Does anyone know when they stop putting a hook on the side of bike so you lock helmet to bike? Now I just put it in my top case.
Mostly bikes have a hook under the seat, some require a short cable to work, lift the seat, hook on the helmet and lock down the seat.

I made a hook for my MT09, some genius copied it and started selling them online.

I bolted a couple of Honda type helmet locks to my top box, quick and easy to use, mostly I don't slide the locking bar closed, it looks locked so that works for me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My old Glee 2016 have those hooks, but the new model 2018, does not . So I guess the cyclop headlight came with no hooks. Also with no front suspension adjusters (preload).
I solve the problem with a cable tie under the seat (just any metal part will do for the loop). Just lock your helmet and close the seat. DONE
Or use the top box, but sometimes have stuff in there too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My K6 came with a helmet lock which attached under the seat. Short S/S cable so you had to work to access cable or cut the helmet strap. Was always there upon my return.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts