StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My skills on dirt are not all that great, and after a hairy moment, it's something I've been avoiding getting back into. I've been thinking that instead of trying to find dirt to play in on a bigger, heavier Strom, it might make sense to find a place that does skills courses for dirt specific riding on lighter bikes. Anyone have any suggestions? I saw the MSF listings, but none of them are near me, and while I'd love to go do the BMW rider training sessions, the $1395+rental+airfare makes that a less than reasonable idea.

I'm in New York state, north of the city, any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Why not work in a trip to Canada? Our dollar is only worth around .90 US now. I took this dual sport training last fall (just north of Barrie, Ontario.) Only 299. for the day plus taxes for the day, most of which was spent in the saddle of 250 cc Yamahas. We also spent a couple of hours on 650cc BMW's at the request of the group for no additional charges, nice hilly dirt and stony roads and hills through the forest adjacent to a popular ski area. All equipment supplied.

Dual-Sport Motorcycle Rider Training - Yamaha Adventures

The course was fun, want to go back...attended with a fellow stromtrooper

Yamaha 230 by Mr. Nuke, on Flickr

image by Mr. Nuke, on Flickr

BMW 650GS by Mr. Nuke, on Flickr

2 instructors vs 3 students, a great ratio:

image by Mr. Nuke, on Flickr

·
Registered
74 Posts
+1 for MSF dirt class

My skills on dirt are not all that great, and after a hairy moment, it's something I've been avoiding getting back into. I've been thinking that instead of trying to find dirt to play in on a bigger, heavier Strom, it might make sense to find a place that does skills courses for dirt specific riding on lighter bikes. Anyone have any suggestions? I saw the MSF listings, but none of them are near me, and while I'd love to go do the BMW rider training sessions, the $1395+rental+airfare makes that a less than reasonable idea.

I'm in New York state, north of the city, any suggestions are welcome.
I know you're looking for New York state but I just wanted to mention that I took the MSF dirt bike class here in Minnesota last year and am very very glad I did. They rented me a bike and it was well worth the cost and very fun. I don't intend to do heavy off road stuff with my Vee but the tools you use in heavy off road translated nicely to gravel with my Vee.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I've purchased the Dual Sport Riding videos and they have been very helpful to me. I had little previous experience and really started from scratch. A neighbor and I recently went off road at a local PA Gamelands area. New gravel on the area's roads, too, so lots to practice on.

The bashplate has been getting its exercise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts