StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've covered this before but I can't find that thread.

I've had the flu for the past two days (started Saturday PM and continues to now). Decided instead of just laying around I'd read a book or two I've been wanting to read. So yesterday, Sunday, I read "The Heart of Darkness" and generally enjoyed it. Today I read "The Lord of the Flies" and enjoyed it a bit more. In particular I remember one or more of you recommending "The Heart of Darkness" a year or more ago. Thanks for that. I hadn't forgotten.

I've read, and enjoyed :

The Picture of Dorian Gray
The Count of Monte Cristo
A Tale of Two Cities
To Kill a Mockingbird
Papillon
Silas Marner
A Clockwork Orange (~40 years ago)
All the James Herriott veterinary-based books
The Scarlet Letter
The Grapes of Wrath
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (didn't enjoy it as much as some others - sorry...)

That gives you a general idea of my interests. Any others similar to these come to mind ? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
If you liked Grapes of Wrath definitely read East of Eden. Steinbeck's best book, IMO.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (didn't enjoy it as much as some others - sorry...)
Listen to the audio book narrated by Michael Cramer -- he's Persig to a T. I've been through it three times, will prolly do it again this year.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Good reading.

We've covered this before but I can't find that thread.

I've had the flu for the past two days (started Saturday PM and continues to now). Decided instead of just laying around I'd read a book or two I've been wanting to read. So yesterday, Sunday, I read "The Heart of Darkness" and generally enjoyed it. Today I read "The Lord of the Flies" and enjoyed it a bit more. In particular I remember one or more of you recommending "The Heart of Darkness" a year or more ago. Thanks for that. I hadn't forgotten.

I've read, and enjoyed :

The Picture of Dorian Gray
The Count of Monte Cristo
A Tale of Two Cities
To Kill a Mockingbird
Papillon
Silas Marner
A Clockwork Orange (~40 years ago)
All the James Herriott veterinary-based books
The Scarlet Letter
The Grapes of Wrath

That gives you a general idea of my interests. Any others similar to these come to mind ? Thanks.
A must read is Jupiters Travels. This book really puts today's "Adventure Riding " into perspective.
Another good and unknown book is Brown on Resolution.
How one man can make a difference.
:thumbup:

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
Absalom Absalom - William Faulkner
On the Road - Jack Kerouac....in fact, anything by Jack Kerouac..
A Day in The Life of Ivan Denesovitch - Alexandr Solzhenitsyn
The Gulag Archipelago - Alexandr Solzhenitsyn
The Old Man and The Sea - Ernest Hemingway
A Whale for the Killing - Farley Mowat
The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz, Cocksure - both by Mordecai Richler..

Anything by John LeCarre...

·
Vinegarjoe
64 Posts
Stillwell and the American Experience in China by Barbara Tuchman, In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin, To the Finland Station by Edmund Wilson.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
"Voyage" by Sterling Hayden - a novel about a coal ship in 1896.

"In the Heart of the Sea - The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex" by Nathaniel Philbrick, it's the true story of Moby Dick, the ship gets sunk by a pissed-off sperm whale and this is the true tale of the survivors. Wooden ships and IRON MEN.

"The Journals of Lewis and Clark" - edited by Bernard DeVoto - the actual journal entries as written by these men.

"Tragedy and Triumph" - The Journals of Capt. Robert F. Scott's last polar expedition. These were tough guys with a capital "T".

"Bury My Heart Wounded Knee" - by Dee Brown. If you want to know what the white man really did to the Native Americans.

Anything by Roger Zelazny, especially the "Amber" series.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Endurance by Alfred Lansing. It's about Ernest Shackleton. One of the greatest stories ever.

“For scientific discovery give me Scott; for speed and efficiency of travel give me Amundsen; but when disaster strikes and all hope is gone, get down on your knees and pray for Shackleton.” Sir Raymond Priestly, Antarctic Explorer and Geologist.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
The Magus John Fowles...don't get suckered..
Song of the Dodo....David Quammen ..learn a lot, laugh a lot, cry a bit.
Travels in Alaska John Muir - free on Kindle ...an amazing man and funny

if you are really game for a classic...

The Alexandria Quartet Lawrence Durrell....challenge your vocabulary big time.

Zen and the Art....??
Try on Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, ...Douglas Hofstadter

A book review will be expected on Friday ;)

•••

Endurance was brilliant...

Try on Island of the Lost another tale of survival against the elements...

·
Registered
293 Posts
I like reading classics. Search for and record a number of "Top 100 books of all time" and "Top 100 books you must read", then make your own list of books, starting with ones that appear on all lists, down to the ones which only appear on one list. Some of the books I thought were grabbing in their style:
(Sorry for any mispellings)
The Tin Drum- Gunther Grass
Midnights Children- Salmon Rushdie
Blood Meridian- Cormac McCarthy
I, Claudius- Robert Graves
Journals of Lewis and Clark
Kim- Rudyard Kipling
The Master and the Margarita- Bulgakov

and some others I remember I liked a lot:
The Adventures of Augie March- Saul Below
Old Goriot- Balzac
A Farewell to Arms- Hemingway
Brave New World- Aldous Huxley (much better and "truer to fact" than 1984
The Idiot, and Crime and Punishment- Dostoevsky
The Sound and the Fury, Light in August, and The Big Woods, by Faulkner The Big Woods is more a short story which is one of my favorites.
Lolita- Vladimer Nabokov
Atlas Shrugged- Ann Rand
Blindness- Jose Saramago
Sons and Lovers- D.H. Lawrence

·
Registered
399 Posts
Great Expectations by Dickens is wicked fun
And Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat is also a good read.
Shibumi by Trevanian is sort of goofy thriller fun by the guy who wrote The Eiger Sanction

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Stillwell and the American Experience in China by Barbara Tuchman, In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin, To the Finland Station by Edmund Wilson.
No fair! You aren't allowed to recommend your own biography!:mrgreen:

I'm one of those who touted "Heart of Darkness" previously, but I find myself reading more histories than novels. Of these my favorite is the "Pax Britannica" trilogy by James (later Jan) Morris, particularly the first two volumes. But anything to do with great adventures has me spellbound -- Shackleton in Antarctica, Sir Richard Burton on the Nile, Lewis and Clark. If you can get past the old-timey writing style and somewhat slow beginnings William Prescott's two classic books "The Conquest of Peru" and "The Conquest of Mexico" relate in detail what were undoubtedly the two most ambitious adventures ever undertaken, not to mention the most spectacular displays of courage, intrepidity and endurance in human history. Bar none. Nothing else even comes close. Leonidas would have doffed his battered helmet to the conquistadores.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Mike - have you read Muir??? Should be right up your alley.....and bonus...they're free :D

Also recently The Big Burn should appeal as well.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I tend to recommend authors, rather than books. I tend to read in rafts, rather than singly. Finding a new one who has a bunch of books already written is a treasure. Larry McMurtry, Jack London, Steinbeck, WEB Griffin, Hemingway, Dickens, Dumas, Poe, Salinger, Faulkner (although he irritated me sometimes), Edgar Rice Burroughs, Arthur Conan Doyle. -Hundreds more, but my tastes are eclectic.

I just love to read.

I saw some I will have to read listed earlier.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Mike - have you read Muir??? Should be right up your alley.....and bonus...they're free :D

Also recently The Big Burn should appeal as well.
I have not read anything by Muir, probably because he is so widely quoted that I probably thought I already knew everything he was going to say. He did a lot of his Sierra wandering right around here. But I did a multi-day hike in the Muir Wilderness near Yosemite -- does that count?

I did read "The Snow Leopard" by Peter Mathiessen some years ago and thought it was pretty good, but that's about the extent of environmental subjects I have sought out. It's also a spiritual rumination along the lines of Pirsig's "Zen..." but way more readable (i.e., less boring:mrgreen:). I started to read something by well-known environmentalist John McPhee once but within the first few pages he began to cite the wisdom of one of his friends whom I happen to know is a complete dickhead, having worked with him on a national parks project in AK, so I never got beyond that point.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
... I started to read something by well-known environmentalist John McPhee once but within the first few pages he began to cite the wisdom of one of his friends whom I happen to know is a complete dickhead, having worked with him on a national parks project in AK, so I never got beyond that point.
Which book did you start? I've read a ton a McPhee's stuff, and really like his writing. Not all his books are about the environment, (although I thought "Conversations with the Arch Druid" was excellent in it's balance) things like the "Deltoid Pumpkin Seed" and "The Curve of Binding Energy" are really good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Chris Scott's "Adventures in Motorcycling":

http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Motorcycling-Despatching-through-London-ebook/dp/B00NDDE04S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430921511&sr=8-1&keywords=adventures+in+motorcycling

Is an entertaining read :)

I've enjoyed some of the books on your list too, so assuming you have similar tastes to me you could try:

Of Mice and Men
Brother in the Land
Rendevous with Rama
The Hobbit (and, by continuation the LoTR trilogy)

And any / all of my King favourites: The Stand (uncut), It, Hearts in Atlantis, 11/22/63, Misery, Different Seasons etc. etc. :)

1 - 20 of 124 Posts